which truck for a Pop-up Camper

MTCK

Observer
Good debate. From my own experience I've run an overloaded 1/2 ton domestic truck, overloaded first gen Tacoma with airbags, and a one ton under gvw. For me it all comes down to comfort and piece of mind. I did not enjoy driving the overloaded rigs extended distances over poor roads and in bad weather. I would have to slow down, the trucks would sway in the wind and bounce and bottom out on large potholes and frost heaves. I also hate being underpowered and having to crawl up passes loaded so that was a consideration with my current truck.

I think you are spot on with your cab and a half full size with a six foot bed. Check out a FWC Hawk, Hallmark Milner (sp?), ATC, Phoenix etc and see how much insulation and storage you think you need. For trucks you should be able to get that cab/bed configuration in all of the following and I would go test drive some:

GM 2500hd, gas or diesel will have 10.5 or 11.5 full floating rear. 6.0 gas is totally adequate for most missions.

Ford F-250 super duty and Ram 2500 I would consider too as you can get gas or diesel and a solid front axle and full floating rear.

Ford, GM or Ram 1/2 tons with the 3.5 ecoboost, 6.2 LS V8, 5.7 hemi or little ram diesel that I know nothing about. All semifloating rear ends and smaller drive trains / lighter suspensions but worth test driving.

Last but certainly not least, Toyota Tundra with a 5.7 or Nissan Titan with a 5.6. Semi floating rears again, but the tundra has a pretty beefy 10.5" ring gear in it.

If it was me I would probably pick up the GM 2500hd gasser if I liked having more truck than load or the tundra if I thought I could live with the 1/2 ton. Good luck.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Checkout wanderthewest.com nearly all are pop up folks. They run everything from Ford rangers to big Dodges. One long timer former Tacoma owner is doing a huge Alaska trip in his new Colorado 2.8 that he's done some suspension stuff too. 20-25mpg seems to be range of mileage with the little diesel. I'm following his blog very curious about that truck. Plus he's a Toyota guy gone rogue so his take on the truck will be pretty informative. I think he's running a fwc pop up.
Do you have a link to this specific blog?

Umnak

Adventurer
Good debate. From my own experience I've run an overloaded 1/2 ton domestic truck, overloaded first gen Tacoma with airbags, and a one ton under gvw. For me it all comes down to comfort and piece of mind. I did not enjoy driving the overloaded rigs extended distances over poor roads and in bad weather. I would have to slow down, the trucks would sway in the wind and bounce and bottom out on large potholes and frost heaves. I also hate being underpowered and having to crawl up passes loaded so that was a consideration with my current truck.

I think you are spot on with your cab and a half full size with a six foot bed. Check out a FWC Hawk, Hallmark Milner (sp?), ATC, Phoenix etc and see how much insulation and storage you think you need. For trucks you should be able to get that cab/bed configuration in all of the following and I would go test drive some:

GM 2500hd, gas or diesel will have 10.5 or 11.5 full floating rear. 6.0 gas is totally adequate for most missions.

Ford F-250 super duty and Ram 2500 I would consider too as you can get gas or diesel and a solid front axle and full floating rear.

Ford, GM or Ram 1/2 tons with the 3.5 ecoboost, 6.2 LS V8, 5.7 hemi or little ram diesel that I know nothing about. All semifloating rear ends and smaller drive trains / lighter suspensions but worth test driving.

Last but certainly not least, Toyota Tundra with a 5.7 or Nissan Titan with a 5.6. Semi floating rears again, but the tundra has a pretty beefy 10.5" ring gear in it.

If it was me I would probably pick up the GM 2500hd gasser if I liked having more truck than load or the tundra if I thought I could live with the 1/2 ton. Good luck.

Thanks for the list of trucks. I'd go with a diesel if I got a Ram or CMC/Chevy and that would mean a 2500, and the Tundra is high on the list as well. Too bad it doesn't have the diesel Toyota puts in its trucks everywhere else in the world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier