Treadwright tires?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
My Ford Superduty only has 4 tires, not 6. So my rears can hit their max weight rating very quickly. I can't risk it to run on cheap name tires, retread or new, I only buy top dollar tires.

A rear tread seperation nearly flipped my E350 van over, and my driving skills are actually good (I do track days all the time). Tire still had air in it, was a factory Firestone or Uniroyal IIRC.

Everytime I've spent extra to get the best tires possible it's worked well for me. (For some reason Duratracs don't pick up nails and screws, but every new truck's stock tires have picked up 3 or 4 every time.) If you just have a city jeep, try 'em. But I can't risk myself on the highway to save a little bit. It's not like the TR's are half the price, they're still a significant cost.

sturgillk

Observer
I've ordered tires from Treadwright twice, the first time for a set of mud terrains and the second time for a set of all terrains. The price was certainly great for a vehicle that wasn't being driven a whole lot, but I had issues both times.

The first set of mud terrains were the bead to bead type, but the sidewalls came with little tubes of unmelted rubber sticking out. Treadwright made it right and sent me new tires. I've been using them off and on for almost five years now, they're siped and studded and do pretty well in the winter.

The all terrains could have been big trouble. One of them wouldn't balance. And then I had a tread separation occur within a hundred miles on another one. Treadwright sent me replacements, but of the wrong size. It took a while to get that sorted out. After that, these tires went on a four thousand mile road trip with no problems.

I'm going for new tires next time, it just hasn't been worth it. Some tire shops charge extra to work on retreads, wait time on replacements left the vehicle inoperable, and the tread does wear down pretty quickly.

While Treadwright did make it right by me each time, they were impossible to get ahold of. Had to get ahold of some random person in a separate office to walk over and tell their customer service to answer my phone calls.

So, that's my experience with Treadwright. Hope that helps.

Stroverlander

Adventurer
I purchased 31" Treadwright Wardens (BFG T/A carcass, non bead to bead remolds) for my van and 3 out of 4 tires suffered cracking all around the tires where the tread meets the sidewall very early in their life.

Treadwright (finally) warrantied the tires and shipped me replacements, the second set did the same thing. I stopped driving the van and when I contacted the "new" Treadwright they denied warranty because it was just outside their 2 year warranty period even though the tires had almost no miles on them.

The issue I have besides the somewhat scary cracking issues is that the carcasses are used and so you never just how used or beat up up the carcass actually is. I was not impressed with their rubber compound either as I don't think it compares to any of the major tire brands, certainly not the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S I previously ran or the Cooper AT3 I am running now. Comparatively, they are much heavier as well and also had balancing issues with a few tires that was never completely resolved.

What drove me to try them was that I wanted a cheap(er) set of tires to try in this size on my van when I was building and modifying it and I did like the somewhat environmental aspect of "re-using" part of the tire but in the end, it was a (much) less than ideal experience.

I was much happier with the tires, deal and service I got (and get) from Discount Tire Direct on the Cooper AT3 with three different rebates totaling almost $200 in savings.

FJOE

Regular Dude
General Grabber AT2's (at least in 31in) are 130ish on tire rack all day. Why risk it?

Peneumbra2

Badger Wrangler
I have Treadwright 19.5 Guard Dogs on my 1.5 ton Chevy 4x4 flatbed and over the past 20,000 miles, have had no problems with them...

southofantarctica

Brush Dawg
I had a set of MT Claws I bought back in 2015, price was right but had nothing but problems. They started on my 1991 k2500, never would balance and one tire threw the tread after about 2,000 miles . When I sold that truck I moved them onto the Dakota and drove it like that for a while, new rims but still wouldn't balance. I lost a large chunk of one of the tires going down the highway after about 15k total miles. Bought new tires and sold the treadwrights within the week.

I will say one thing for the company is that they did right by me on the warranty side of things. Each time something happened they overnighted me a new tire, no questions.

I wouldn't put them on a daily, but I'd be sore tempted to put them on a ranch or beach truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior