Spare-tire holding bumper for F150?

lew.

Slightly Mad Scientist
After getting a flat 30 miles from the nearest real road, a point was reinforced: one spare tire out in the bush is not enough. Thankfully, we got the spare put on in record time and made it home without incident.

I just got new Michelin tires for my 2013 F150 SuperCrew XLT. Those Goodyear tires- three total, since one was murdered in the aforementioned anecdote, plus the full-sized spare the truck came with- replaced still have plenty of tread, so I'll have them mounted on some no-frills steel wheels to use as spares.

In addition to the underbed-mounted spare, I would like to have the ability to carry two additional spares in a more accessible area. I could mount them forward of the wheel wells inside the bed that has a bed cap, but we sleep in there instead of a tent, and that would be tight with two people and three small-medium dogs. On top of the truck is out due to balance shift and aerodynamic concerns. Mounted up front is a no-go due to over-the-hood visibility and approach angle concerns. Forget about anything hitch-mounted. I will be getting an in-bed drawer system, but I have plenty of other equipment that can be stored in the bed rather than two tires.

That leaves me with mounting the two spare tires to a replacement bumper with an incorporated swing arm that can move out of the way to access the tailgate and bed cap door. Now, who makes such a device, and does anyone make one with an easily-removable swing arm that could be stored off the truck for daily driving?

I have found the following, and I've sent out an inquiry asking whether or not they can fabricate something for a later-model truck: http://www.crossenterprises.com/fullsizeford.html

I did hear back from Proto Fab and they do not have the engineering specs they need for this model year.

Cheers!

p nut

butter
Sounds like a lot of complication and expense to me, especially since your travels are in the States. I don't know you, and I'm not saying this isn't justified for your uses, but, I wonder if you'd be better served by:
_
1) More stout tires. Some GY tires have been known for weak sidewalls. Not sure which Michelin's you got, but something with stout sidewalls may mitigate the issue. I love BFG KO2's.
2) Carry lots of plugs and other tire fixes.
_
This would be cheaper, lighter, and much less complicated. Again, I don't know your situation. But I don't know many that travel in the states that carry more than one spare.

lew.

Slightly Mad Scientist
Michelin Defenders are on the truck now. In the Southwest, it's really easy to get way out in the sticks. The Goodyear that met its demise received a three inch gash across the midline of the tire. No sidewalls involved there, nor would tire plugs or a patch have been of any use in that situation. A tire patch/plug kit is something that is on the list, though. I do appreciate redundancy, and, if I am going to get a bumper mount for one tire, I may as well get one that can accommodate two. The rest of my cargo can be easily distributed amongst the cab and bed.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Saw an F150 build on here recently with a rear bumper that had dual swing out carriers (i.e. split in the middle). Pretty sure his carriers were setup for water/fuel, but no reason they couldn't be setup to carry two spares.
Then use the stock spare location for a water or fuel tank.
Don't know about you, but I'm not a fan of rolling around in the mud to get a spare tire out from under a vehicle. So this could be a great help, since Arizona sand mixed with mud is a great way to remove skin from places skin shouldn't get removed. :eek:

Good luck! :beer:

Edit to add:

Found the build, and one side has a tire mounted. :)
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/119901-F150-overland-build

lew.

Slightly Mad Scientist
Jackpot! Thanks, Comanche!

I'm with ya on that: I was lucky when I had the above-mentioned flat as the road was flat, sandy, and shady, and there was a creek that we had just crossed so we could wash. It's not at all inconceivable that the under-bed spare could be inaccessible when it is needed.

I like the fuel tank idea. The truck already has a 36 gallon tank. More capacity would be great for trips further afield.

p nut

butter
I am familiar with the SW, as I'm just north of you. You may want to start with getting some better tires. I'm assuming you've got the Defender M/S, which are good for road, ok for dirt, but you could do better in the "stoutness" arena. Get some decent A/T tires.
_
What's better than being able to change out 2 flat tires? Not getting a flat in the first place. :D

lew.

Slightly Mad Scientist
Defender LTX, actually. I'm not sure why you are fixated on the make and model of tire. Since you are not far away, you must be familiar with the rocks here that have the ability to shred the **** out of any tire. Tires get punctures. No big deal. Carry a couple spares and take precautions when you are away from civilization and your odds of getting back to civilization are pretty good.

hdhp

Lew that F150m in the link is a nice truck the owner's name is Raul He is on a site called Overland Bound. I got in touch with him because I had some questions on his roof rack he had on his truck before his current set up! He will reply and has some good info. I too have a F150..... 2010 FX4

Good luck and post some pics of your Truck!

You can also check out OFN http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/index.php You might be able to find someone local to make you one.

HDHP

lew.

Slightly Mad Scientist
HDHP: I'll dig around Offroad Fab. Raul responded to my message and said the company that made his is out of business, but Mercenary Offroad should be able to whip one up. Thanks, mate!

rube bonet

Adventurer
After getting a flat 30 miles from the nearest real road, a point was reinforced: one spare tire out in the bush is not enough. Thankfully, we got the spare put on in record time and made it home without incident.

I just got new Michelin tires for my 2013 F150 SuperCrew XLT. Those Goodyear tires- three total, since one was murdered in the aforementioned anecdote, plus the full-sized spare the truck came with- replaced still have plenty of tread, so I'll have them mounted on some no-frills steel wheels to use as spares.

In addition to the underbed-mounted spare, I would like to have the ability to carry two additional spares in a more accessible area. I could mount them forward of the wheel wells inside the bed that has a bed cap, but we sleep in there instead of a tent, and that would be tight with two people and three small-medium dogs. On top of the truck is out due to balance shift and aerodynamic concerns. Mounted up front is a no-go due to over-the-hood visibility and approach angle concerns. Forget about anything hitch-mounted. I will be getting an in-bed drawer system, but I have plenty of other equipment that can be stored in the bed rather than two tires.

That leaves me with mounting the two spare tires to a replacement bumper with an incorporated swing arm that can move out of the way to access the tailgate and bed cap door. Now, who makes such a device, and does anyone make one with an easily-removable swing arm that could be stored off the truck for daily driving?

I have found the following, and I've sent out an inquiry asking whether or not they can fabricate something for a later-model truck: http://www.crossenterprises.com/fullsizeford.html

I did hear back from Proto Fab and they do not have the engineering specs they need for this model year.

Cheers!

We are located in Peoria, AZ, and can custom fab up any bumper configuration you'd like...

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I've bought two things from Rob, and seen many of his other pieces. His work is absolutely top notch, at a reasonable price. :beer:

Raul B

Explorer
HDHP: I'll dig around Offroad Fab. Raul responded to my message and said the company that made his is out of business, but Mercenary Offroad should be able to whip one up. Thanks, mate!

I'm on here as well :) just not as often because the app sucks..... Dual swings can def be done but it will have to fully custom... if your ok with a single swing look into wilco offroad swing out. It will incorporate right into your factory hitch and is made in the USA...

-Raul

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I'm on here as well :) just not as often because the app sucks..... Dual swings can def be done but it will have to fully custom... if your ok with a single swing look into wilco offroad swing out. It will incorporate right into your factory hitch and is made in the USA...

-Raul

Hi Raul,

Having done, and lived with, the dual swing out, I'd be very interested in your input on the advantages and disadvantages that you've found in using this.
I've only had single swing outs, so no personal experience on a dual swing, but am considering it on the next build.
Tia,

Raul B

Explorer
Hi Raul,

Having done, and lived with, the dual swing out, I'd be very interested in your input on the advantages and disadvantages that you've found in using this.
I've only had single swing outs, so no personal experience on a dual swing, but am considering it on the next build.
Tia,
well I have only had the dual swing out but I am considering going with a single swing next. My main issue is when I'm camping I'm cooking from my tailgate... My tent opens to the drivers side and the awning to the passenger side... on more than a few occasions I have ran into one of the swing arms especially at night.... other than that I really like the bumper the way it is....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles