Hiking/Backpacking Cookset Recommendations

jwolfuo

Observer
I am hoping that you fine folks will provide me with some recommendations, based on experience, regarding what cookset to purchase. The set must be enough for 2 people and if possible, I would like to spend under $100.

My main intentions for purchasing this would be the following:
- To leave in my vehicle for emergencies
- Hiking (day trips)
- Backpacking (for right now, a maximum of 3 nights)

I have stumbled on the following sets so far:
GSI Outdoors Pinnacle Dualist Cookset
MSR Trail Lite Duo System

I am leaning towards the GSI because I can fit a 220g fuel canister and my backpacking stove inside of the pots - essentially saving some space in my pack.

Any recommendations would be very helpful! I know there are other sets out there that I have not seen yet and would love to!

CCH

Adventurer
I'm a fan of the GSI Pinnacle series. It is good stuff. What/how do you plan to cook? For backpacking, I mainly do freezer bag cooking so all I need is one pot to boil water in. For solo use I have a small titanium one. For more than solo use, I have a larger Pinnacle pot that does the job. Vehicle based camping goes to larger GSI pots (2) and a GSI anodized pan (10"). Lots of the kits seem to have stuff I find no use for, so I tend to piece my stuff together with what I need.

jwolfuo

Observer
I actually did end up buying the GSI one. It met my needs more-so than any of the others I looked at. I'll mainly use it for hiking/backpacking/leaving in my vehicle anyways and I'll really only use it for boiling water, freeze-dried meals, or ramen/soup. 1.8L pot size is about perfect for 2 people for a quick meal. I liked that it included the sporks (which the reviews mentioned were the weakest link of the set), bowls (that can be coffee or tea cups w/ the sipper lids), and the insulating sleeves. The pot design was nice as well I though as I don't need to get something that allows me to pick up the pot without burning myself.

I have a larger 2-burner coleman stove with 10" GSI pan, 2 larger MSR pots w/ strainer lids for vehicle based camping though.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
I realize the point is moot, but I use the Pathfinder kit. This is me rehydrating food two weeks ago in a backpacking trip in Capitol Reef. I can boil 16 cups of water when the stove is full of denatured alcohol. It's designed to hold a large volume and reseal when you're done. It's pretty gangster, but it does take longer to boil in windy conditions than the canister types.

6829d89b702eeaba9dbbd1f823393b3e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwolfuo

Observer
I realize the point is moot, but I use the Pathfinder kit. This is me rehydrating food two weeks ago in a backpacking trip in Capitol Reef. I can boil 16 cups of water when the stove is full of denatured alcohol. It's designed to hold a large volume and reseal when you're done. It's pretty gangster, but it does take longer to boil in windy conditions than the canister types.

6829d89b702eeaba9dbbd1f823393b3e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool! If I didn't already have the little MSR Pocket Rocket stove, I probably would have opted for something similar that used liquid fuel or the esbit tablets. Usually less moving parts means less chance of them breaking when I need them :)

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I've used and carefully evaluated many cook sets as of late for an upcoming review to be published on the ExPo home page. There are lots of good choices, but a few stand out. I do like GSI from a value standpoint, but some aspects of their kits are pretty cheesy. On the flip side, I think there isn't a finer kit than the MSR Ceramic 2 Pot Set. That stuff is great and makes clean up a snap. It also saves a lot of water during cleanup.

Another top pick is the Evernew Ti silicone-ceramic coated pots. They are beautiful.

My least favorite are the Snow Peak. They really missed the mark.

Biker Eagle

Observer
Pathfinder kits

I use one of their kits as well. A canteen cup nested with the stove platform and a small titanium alcohol stove. Simple,light,compact...a no-brainer.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1...98455418.1280.1280_1024x1024.jpg?v=1472740701

If you're going to boil water for coffee/hot chocolate, and Mountainhouse meals...this kit makes it stupid simple. Run out of fuel? Build a twig fire under the stove platform. This has been my go-to cook kit for the last 3 backpacking seasons. I keep a duplicate set in my B.O.B. which stays in my FJ Cruiser.

FJOE

Regular Dude
Another +1 for the GSI Pinnacle Dualist. I have been using one since 2009 and its one of my favorite pieces of gear.

jwolfuo

Observer
I've used and carefully evaluated many cook sets as of late for an upcoming review to be published on the ExPo home page. There are lots of good choices, but a few stand out. I do like GSI from a value standpoint, but some aspects of their kits are pretty cheesy. On the flip side, I think there isn't a finer kit than the MSR Ceramic 2 Pot Set. That stuff is great and makes clean up a snap. It also saves a lot of water during cleanup.

Another top pick is the Evernew Ti silicone-ceramic coated pots. They are beautiful.

My least favorite are the Snow Peak. They really missed the mark.

I actually have a few of MSR's larger pots (MSR Quick 2 Pot Set - comes w/ 2 pots, 1 lid, 1 handle) and they are excellent in my vehicle camping setup. Lightweight and durable with an incredible non-stick surface, but just a tad too big for hiking/backpacking.

I took a look at the Evernew pots - they looked impressive! I think I will be pleased with the GSI Pinnacle Dualist. If I was doing longer backpacking trips, I think I would opt for something lighter but this should fit my current needs well.

I appreciate your feedback. About a year ago, you gave me some excellent advice when I was trying to decide on a backpack, sleeping bag, pad, and tent. They continue to impress me every time I use them.

Leibbrand

Adventurer
Snow peak ti cup that fits a small gas canister inverted, pocket rocket stove, and a mini lighter all inside the cup. Also carry a spork. All you need for a few days.

gps4

jwolfuo

Observer
i find the stanley cook set fits my needs perfectly. not as light at the snowpeak, but holds enough water to do what i need, fuel canister and stove nest in it. i keep one stowed in my ride just in case.

got mine for $14 at walmart. they going for $11 on amazon prime. comes with two plastic nesting cups, but i don't always bring them along.

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Adventure-Camp-Stainless-Steel/dp/B005188T90/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501275192&sr=8-1&keywords=stanley+cookset

a58e38b7a9e06d7cc11bb8d65fd4da02.jpg

Thank you. I had a chance to get to use one of these sets in person since I posted this thread. It's simple and frankly, I was surprised by the quality offered at the price. I may get one to leave in my truck permanently, while I use the other set for backpacking and car camping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94