Expovans Transit 4x4 Conversions

mgmetalworks

Explorer
bump - almost 2 months... any updates?
have you mounted your new wheels yet?

I'll have an official update soon. Lots of design work done so far. Components chosen. I have all the off-the-shelf parts here in the shop for fit up tests and measurements (the CAD models don't tell the whole story sometimes).

Yeah, what's the holdup MG? And fix your pic links with all your free time. :D

The holdup? Where do I start....?

Also curious what is going to make this a non-DIY conversion...
In for updates,
And lashings/venting over photobucket....

It may end up being easy enough for a DIY install. Not sure yet though. I'm keeping it in mind the whole time I'm designing.

jjohnny350

Adventurer
Thanks for the update, I was sad to sell my UJOR e350 a year back and have been itching to get another van.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
This popping up today is perfect timing... I just sent out another update to the mailing list.

The abbreviated version:

-Been driving the snot out of our Transit, LOVE IT!!! Perfect vehicle for our family.
-I've got lots of Ford parts in the shop. Transfer case, front suspension parts, diff, axles, ect...
-CAD drawings going out for laser/forming/machining this month
-Front and rear diffs getting a gear change to 3.73 with lockers in both.

Still lots to do but making good progress.

send me an email if you want to be on the mailing list for more detailed updates.

Jds2835

Email sent to be added to the list. Dual lockers and the possibility of a DIY offering has me excited! Keep up the good work.

SoCalChaos

Observer
This popping up today is perfect timing... I just sent out another update to the mailing list.

The abbreviated version:

-Been driving the snot out of our Transit, LOVE IT!!! Perfect vehicle for our family.
-I've got lots of Ford parts in the shop. Transfer case, front suspension parts, diff, axles, ect...
-CAD drawings going out for laser/forming/machining this month
-Front and rear diffs getting a gear change to 3.73 with lockers in both.

Still lots to do but making good progress.

send me an email if you want to be on the mailing list for more detailed updates.

will it have more lift than Quadvan or Quigley's 2" lift or the 2.5" lift of the rwd VanCompass?

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Major upgrade for the Transit this weekend. The stock seats are just not comfortable for me and the wife so we opted to put Scheel-Mann seats in the front. I've been working with the US distributor so much recently that I became a dealer for the seats and I've also designed and fabricated adapter brackets for several different vehicles. I'll be working on the brackets to fit Sprinters soon but I had to get our Transit ready for a long drive this week...

20170903_125155.jpg

20170903_145236.jpg

20170903_145026.jpg

The only downside to this is losing the seat airbag but I did make a couple devices to keep the computers happy and air bag light stays off.

In related news...I have some 2017 Transit front seats for sale. Black cloth, driver side is a power seat, only 12k miles and excellent condition.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Been using a Transit 2500 hi(medium?) top, w/diesel engine at work for a chase vehicle (following trucks that have to go in to the shop but might not make it, ferrying drivers around etc.). It needed 800 miles on it before it could get smogged (something about the computer accumulating enough data) and be delivered to a lease customer.

No idea what engine, other than it's diesel. DPF fill is behind an extra hatch just below the normal fuel fill hatch. No DPF gauge - have to get that info by thumbing through the computer menu.

Gas station diesel nozzles fit in the fuel fill port, the nozzles on the pumps at the fuel station at work (truck stop style with linked left/right pumps) are larger diameter and don't fit. Oh, they fit through the trap-door hole in the (non-removable) gas cap...but not through the restrictor below the cap. That way when you stick it in you think it's all good, but when you sqeeze the handle it shoots fuel back out at you...and all over the inside of the door, which has to be open to open the fuel hatch (luckily, I'm a driver, not a fueler :) ). And according to our parts guy, Ford says there is no other cap or fix for that. "Buy a funnel" (or have a driver take it to a gas station and put it on the gas card).

Sticker price said 43k, of whick 8k was add-ons, of which 5k+ was the diesel engine, 1k+ was the cargo van rear fittings and 175 was two extra keys.

It doesn't feel like a diesel when driving it. Spools up quick and pulls hard and fast like a gas engine. Sounds like a gas engine too. If you didn't know it was a diesel, you wouldn't know it was a diesel.

800 miles of mixed city, freeway and gridlock. The computer showed an average of 17.9 mpg.

I hated that the door sill was too low for me (6'4") to rest my left arm on while driving. Not in love with the shift lever either, but it was a handy place to rest my right hand.

Manually shifting the 6 speed auto tranny was quick and tight and if you force it, it will downshift and do a screaming engine brake deceleration (don't ask me how I know that).

Mikey likes it.

SoCalChaos

Observer
Major upgrade for the Transit this weekend. The stock seats are just not comfortable for me and the wife so we opted to put Scheel-Mann seats in the front. I've been working with the US distributor so much recently that I became a dealer for the seats and I've also designed and fabricated adapter brackets for several different vehicles. I'll be working on the brackets to fit Sprinters soon but I had to get our Transit ready for a long drive this week...

The only downside to this is losing the seat airbag but I did make a couple devices to keep the computers happy and air bag light stays off.
Nice - are you going to install these buckets in the back as well.
Itching to pull the trigger on a custom 2018 order, but my daughter hates the rear seats says she's cramped but she's spoiled with the sienna recliners like we had in the E350... so looking for black buckets to possibly replace Transit rear benches.
If I get/order a Transit it'll have the charcoal leather interior. i don't think black sienna recliners exists so these would be great.
But, we also like the Sprinters... a few 2016s on dealer lots here in SoCal being blown out, makes the pricing real competitive with 2018 Transit pricing without Ford rebates/incentives.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Nice - are you going to install these buckets in the back as well.
Itching to pull the trigger on a custom 2018 order, but my daughter hates the rear seats says she's cramped but she's spoiled with the sienna recliners like we had in the E350... so looking for black buckets to possibly replace Transit rear benches.
If I get/order a Transit it'll have the charcoal leather interior. i don't think black sienna recliners exists so these would be great.
But, we also like the Sprinters... a few 2016s on dealer lots here in SoCal being blown out, makes the pricing real competitive with 2018 Transit pricing without Ford rebates/incentives.

Yes, I have an order for a pair of seats with integrated belts ready to be placed as soon as they're ready to sell them. I'm told that my seats may be on display at SEMA and then shipped up to me to install in the Cummins van....so we're close.

For our Transit, we'll have a bench/bed and sleeping platform rather than two captain's chairs. I just got the folding seat linkage sorted out in CAD this week and now working on the seat frame details.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Mg,
Hows the 4x4 transit project coming? Seats look great!

The design is going really well. I'm having a blast sorting through all of the little challenges that pop up. You'd be surprised how much time it takes to find power steering hoses that have the right length, size, shape and fittings. I can always revert back to a custom solution but I want to keep the custom parts to a bare minimum for a number of reasons. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles