Question on trailer brakes needed

Mccaf

Adventurist
Great points. I ordered the P2 controller and the components from eTrailer. Installing myself. Great stuff to be able to regulate the brake boost!

The hubs on eTrailer's 10" drums presented a problem with the center bore on my wheels. So I have to order new wheels to fit 76.2mm hubs. Boo-hoo. Now they will have to match the jeep wheels. Oh well what's another $600 😂 For safety and looks. Now for those 35" tires. Used, of course...

Great point...forgot to mention that. I have the Prodigy P3 controller and love it. I use boost settings a little differently then they intended. I'll set a lower power setting but increase/max out the boost while on road (to the higher ratings and then lower/turn off boost while off road.) I also have wired the controller to high current relay & switch (with auto reset breaker). It allows me to kill controller in a hurry. I've used that many times while pulling my buddies jeep trailer (with brakes) off-road.

As a side note, since there is a a constant power terminal to the trailer via the connector, I will connect the trailer battery and charge it while driving. This feed is also connected to a high current relay & fuse switchable from inside the Jeep. I run a #10 high temp wire with a 40amp fuse - have never blown a fuse. The #10 wire has enough voltage drop to prevent a slug of current even if the trailer battery is quite low. Highest peak current recorded was 35A for a second or two and it drops below 30A quickly - this was on a 100Ah battery at 50% charge. Come to thing of it, I could easily get away with a 30A fuse... Be sure to use a high grade trailer connector/wiring with sufficient guage if this is your plan. Before people start getting bent out of shape about 40amp fuse on #10 wire, wire ratings for automotive & marine use are much different than the NEC.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Yes. The nanny in the Jeep JK computer gives it some add'l gas once it hits 2700-3000RPM or so and what little compression breaking I did have flies right out the window. The 6 speed (manual) give lots more control, but not when the damn computer gets involved. First time it happened, I was spooked and wonder who the hell bumped the gas pedal...I swear the damn computer tries to maintain RPM between shifts too -> it doesn't drop anywhere near as I think it should when letting off the gas between shifts.
I noticed this throttle bump in several modern manuals. Same for what's best described as a lazy throttle response. I'm convinced it's tied to Auto makers vs emissions controls.

Mccaf

Adventurist
Yes. The nanny in the Jeep JK computer gives it some add'l gas once it hits 2700-3000RPM or so and what little compression breaking I did have flies right out the window. The 6 speed (manual) give lots more control, but not when the damn computer gets involved. First time it happened, I was spooked and wonder who the hell bumped the gas pedal...I swear the damn computer tries to maintain RPM between shifts too -> it doesn't drop anywhere near as I think it should when letting off the gas between shifts.

The jeep JK has a throttle calibration trick. I have to Google it but it's all over the Internet on Forums. Mine worked much better afterwards.

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
I noticed this throttle bump in several modern manuals. Same for what's best described as a lazy throttle response. I'm convinced it's tied to Auto makers vs emissions controls.

I keep hearing and reading this on car reviews. The Rev Hang is apparently an emissions thing
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/rev-hang-explained-and-why-petrolheads-hate-it/

This strategy is used because it was found that suddenly closing the throttle produced a sudden spike in gas pressure within the crankcase which emphasised the rate of oil vaporisation, thus adding to emissions from the engine. Also, when the throttle is suddenly shut, the fuel mixture suddenly becomes lean which creates NOx (oxides of Nitrogen) which also contributes to emissions.

By keeping the throttle open for a small period of time after the pedal had been released, this pressure spike was avoided and cleaner emissions were achieved. Found most prominently in US-spec vehicles to meet the emission rules over the pond, this pre-programming has frustrated many owners since its development. Rev hang can even be found in Subaru's WRX STI, along with prominent cases in VW and Hyundai products.

Winterpeg

That's messed up. There should be no reason that should happen. The more I hear about jeeps the less I like them...

alia176

Explorer
That's messed up. There should be no reason that should happen. The more I hear about jeeps the less I like them...

Dude, don't blame the Jeeps, blame the entire auto industry for this CYA maneuver. VW is still hemorrhaging over their emission fiasco so naturally the industry is having a knee jerk reaction and can you blame them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior