Gen3 Tire Size

arb098

Adventurer
I've seen a lot of debate over this here on the forums, and I figured that having a single thread would make it easier to keep track of.

So, what size tires is everyone running on their Gen3? I'm needing new ones soon, and I've heard that these trucks are a bit picky on tires. My family is filled with diehard KO2 fans, so how do these perform on these vehicles? My main goadl for this truck is to be a long distance overland vehicle. We'll be taking from Tennessee all the way down to Argentina sometime next year, so having a tire that is comfortable on the highway but can perform on those really, really questionable roads is going to be key.

What are y'all running? And post some pics to show off them shoes! Lol

Offroadmuch

Explorer
I enjoy hearing opinions on tires, especially Montero specifc talk. The Gen 3 is unibody construction (frame,body) so some have noted that it transmits tire and road noise different than Gen 1 and 2. Are you looking for an all terrain with good road performance due to the long drive? And do you wan to keep the factory size (265/70 R16) 30.61" tire or go bigger for clearance? Any other performance traits you want?

arb098

Adventurer
I enjoy hearing opinions on tires, especially Montero specifc talk. The Gen 3 is unibody construction (frame,body) so some have noted that it transmits tire and road noise different than Gen 1 and 2. Are you looking for an all terrain with good road performance due to the long drive? And do you wan to keep the factory size (265/70 R16) 30.61" tire or go bigger for clearance? Any other performance traits you want?

Definitely want to go a bit bigger for some additional clearance. I will eventually be redoing the suspension, and I'll most likely lift it slightly then too, but tires are a bit higher priority.

Yes, a good AT tire that performs well on the highway without sacrificing too much on the mpg. (So, you know, I just want the impossible.)

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
My Gen III loves its Les Schwab Wild Country A/T tires in 265/70-16. It's a family hauler, commuter, towing rig, and backcountry adventure rig. They're quiet on the highway and demonstrate superb handling in wet or dry. They are outstanding in snow & ice. They rocked the slickrock in Moab, did a fair job in sand, surprised us in moderate mud, but turn into slicks in heavy mud. Most impressive over thousands of miles of really ugly crushed rock that punched thumb-sized holes in heavy duty tires of other trucks. Long life! They've shown great longevity. The only real wear I've seen is from crawling on extremely jagged lava, which does do a bit of chunking.

I get interested in other tires from time to time but really can't justify switching.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
I have not changed tires yet, I am still on an old set of Yokohama Geolandar HT-S which are not worth mentioning for you at all.
I am planning on a set of Cooper St Maxx in 255 85 16 (33.07") or 285 75 16 (32.83") for clearance, tire toughness (3 ply sidewall,) and deep tread. One friend has them and loves them on his Toyota pickup. You can run the 255's pretty comfortably without a lift. Not sure if they will rub at full lock, I think you might be ok until you can get a lift. The 285's you would probably need new wheels or spacers and the lift would help too.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Cooper S/T Maxx 265/75 on stock Gen III rims are a nice compromise.
Outstanding overall performance off highway, great on winter roads with ice, etc...
The have a very stout carcass; however, that makes them a bit heavier than most.
Excellent MT/AT tread with decent wear and noise.
.... two cents...

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
I would recommend the Toyo Open Country AT-II tire. I am running P265/70-17 on stock wheels, and they ride very well. A little more noise on smooth roads than a highway based tire (car had a mixed set of Dunlop/Goodyear), but nothing bad. This is the 5th set of these tires to be used in my family. My grandfather is at 4 years on his and they are only starting to show wear. I also really like having the 65k mile warranty.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
I'm running 265/75/R16 - Toyo Open Country AT II from Treaddepot - they've been great thus far though only on roads and snow. Noise is negligible, slightly larger than stock, and available in varying levels of sidewall reinforcement. The expedition portal tire review put them in second place being the Cooper Discoverer III and the price difference was pretty narrow so I stuck with a company I've had good experience with.

RttH

Running 285/75/16 Cooper AT3 all terrain. Also have OME light duty front and medium duty rear suspension. I have found that this is giving me a very nice ride and even loaded up the medium duty on the rear is perfect. I definitely felt that my previous generation 2.5 body on frame gave a quieter ride. But this setup is quiet and comfortable.

Attachments

• IMG_20160902_184813.jpg
    IMG_20160902_184813.jpg
    512.5 KB · Views: 213

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
Our Gen 3 is mainly a mall crawler...mainly to take the kids to school, going out on weekends, and family trips. Occasionally which isn't often I have taken it on some off trail trips which is nothing serious but does very well on moderate inclines/declines.

Currently on Hankook Dynapro HT's 265/75/16 on stock wheels....very good wet and dry traction and really quiet road performance and so far awesome threadwear. We have had these tires on our Gen 3 for about 3 years now.

http://www.hankooktire.com/us/passenger-cars/hankook-dynapro-ht-rh12.html

DSouth

Observer
I went 265/75R16 LT (E Load Range) BFG KO2's on my 2003 and couldn't be happier. Mine spends plenty of time on-road as my DD and when it's time to hit he trails I love never worrying about my traction or tire durability.

1morebike

Adventurer
265/70/16 Cooper at3 on stock rig. The tires were on the truck when I bought it the rears had about 9000 miles on them and front were almost new. The truck seemed loud in the rear. I had the tires rotated and now they seem loud in the front the older tires just seem loud compared to the new ones. I had the at3 tires on my gen1 and loved them. I like them on this truck also. I had the St tires on my LC and they were nice but were pretty aggressive for everyday driving in my opinion.

zerodrift

Adventurer
Have been using Ko2's for a while now. Pleased overall with the quality and road manners of the tire, but don't have much to compare to honestly.

Wheel is a 16x8 et 0 made by Level 8, Mk6. Tires are 265-75 R16 Bf-g K02s with the E load rating. I wouldn't recommend this load rating unless you plan to frequently carry heavy loads. That said I was thankful for the E load rating when hauling laminate flooring. Stuffed the car to the ceiling with laminate (extra 2 or 3 layers from the picture) and with the appropriate air pressure, the drive was a breeze.

aeb65a814f9e4f36a93afaeb7c0c4344.jpg
73ec2d6c197f15630aeadad9770303ba.jpg
5efebb07d1b2c251959b8ad55f649c97.jpg

EyeInTheSky

Adventurer
265/75R16 LT Kumho Road Venture AT51 here. Great on and off road (save deep mud, as you will find with ATs in general). They are snow rated though I haven't tested it out. Really hard to beat for the price (I spent just over $500 for four with installation).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles