Interisting F 150

I spent some time on the website, looking at the various models. One the largest offering, they have a very interesting two piece door with integral steps. It utilizes some hatch shocks to assist in closing-that is an awesome design. I also like the way the bed slid up and over to open up space when it is not in use. The design uses space very efficiently, which is critical in a small box. There is demand for more of this in North America.

sg1

Adventurer
I looked at a brand new unit in Bad Kissingen. Very well made. It even had an indoor shower. In my own camper I have a pull out bed similar to the Azalai design. It works really well and saves a lot of space.Dry weight of the fully equipped camper on the single cab F-150 was 2850 kg/ 6300 lbs.

Where did you procure the parts to do the bed mounts? The beds they use also look very comfortable and I think the suspensions would eliminate condensation. Anything like that available over in US or Canada?

sg1

Adventurer
I have never seen such a bed in North America but they are quite popular in European compact overland campers. I build my bed myself using a slated frame. But you can also use 2 plywood boards. One board the size of a normal twin mattress you attach at the cabin walls. Because I have composite walls I glued 2x2s on the side and the rear wall and screwd the board on them. The compartment under the fixed half of the bed is storage therefore the front side of the compartment is made of plywood. As a result the board is supported on all 4 sides and doesn't bend even with my 200+lbs. The second board is the moving part. During the day it sits on the fixed board. For sleeping we just pull it out. On the passenger side it sits on the kitchen cabinet on the drivers side it extends about halfway over the dinet and is on this side supported by the table. To prevent bending of the board I have a headboard at the front side of the moveable board which at the same time holds the mattress in place. Because the moveable board sits at the rear on the fixed board, is supported on both sides and has a headboard at the front it does not bend either. To prevent condensation simply drill holes in the boards. As mattresses I use 2 standard twin mattresses which are stacked on top of each other during the day and are side by side at night. With fitted sheets it literally takes seconds to pull out the bed and have it ready for the night. I hope that helps.
Regards Stefan

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Drilling holes to prevent condensation is a great idea. We only want 10 or 11', so we are looking to maximize the space with ideas like this.

I have not seen that brand before. When you are laying out a plan for a build, what is the design software or system that is easy to use? I did AutoCad for several years, but that was over 20 years ago; it has changed so much I can't operate the current version.

sg1

Adventurer
I am a retired lawyer. My design software is paper, pen and ruler or tape measure. Everything else is beyond my capabilities.

Nice. It is hard to believe that we put a man on the moon pretty much without computers. But the best part was he was able to return!!! I may well have to go with that method as well.

sg1

Adventurer
I forgot to mention my most important tool: I marked the outline of my cabin on the floor and two walls of my garage with tape and used cardboard boxes and whatever else I could find to make a fullsize 3D mock up of my ideas. Beats a computer any time.

pilfra60

I just come back from USA where I spent 5 months with my Mercedes G Azalai camper.
Many people ask me to visit my camper and are very impressive with it.
I was also travelling 6 months in Iceland last year.
Camper problem :None.
Mercedes problems :front suspension and fuel pipe.
Now you can buy one ,just need to ship a F150 to Marseille.
For me I just can import my camper for one year.
So I'm interested to get a driving license in USa ,buy a truck and ship it to Marseille.
But just a question :I don't know the rules about fixing a camper body on a truck.
need to change the registration? (the camper is fixed on the chassis)
What is the weight of a 8'' bed?(removed for installation)
_MG_7537red.jpg
In Monument Valley
_MG_8390red.jpg
In Capitol Reef NP
toyota and Land rover in Namibia.

sg1

Adventurer
To buy a F 150 in the USA or Canada you do not need a local drivers license. All you need is enough money. If you want to register it with a local license plate it is a bit more difficult but feasible. Every State (US) or Province (Canada ) has different rules. I know the process in British Columbia and it is easy. Alberta is not too difficult and you have only 5% tax. Other States and Provinces you have to research. It is more difficult to get a good lightweight camper in North America in a quality you are used to from Europe. Maybe Phoenix http://phoenixpopup.com can do it or http://overlandex.com . They are building my new pop up on a F 150 chassis. Otherwise you would have to ship your truck to Europe get it converted and than ship it back to North America. Could be complicated.
Stefan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles