Fun Time w/ Gen 3 Brakes

arb098

Adventurer
So, I've had my Gen 3 for about 3 weeks now. When I bought it, the previous owner had put brand new brakes and rotars on both front and back. I know they did because they had receipts and I watched the shop finish up the front. Anyway, yesterday, we started getting a really loud grinding sound while going down the road. When we got it home, while gritting our teeth because of this chalkboard like sound, I yanked the back tire off and found this beauty (see picture). How the hell does this even happen? I'm just glad we caught it before it did any REAL damage. :Wow1:
20170524_170804.jpg

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
It must have never fully seated the pins in the caliper. I would re-check everything on his brake job.

arb098

Adventurer
It must have never fully seated the pins in the caliper. I would re-check everything on his brake job.

Yup. I'm going to have to buy a new brake pad for this one (at least). The clips were sheared off. -.- Gonna tear the entire system apart tonight to look for anymore damage.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
That's the kind of crap that makes me swear at the previous owner, and if I don't know their name I make one up. Sven was the previous imaginary owner/designer of my wife's old Saab, I swore at him on a daily basis.

I'd also start being more diligent about inspecting the rest of the rig, if you found one example of something stupid, expect more.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Ewe! I'd be so mad. What can you do other than just make it right and move on.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
I've never seen this design before.....all of my vehicles brakes use a bracket. So the pad locks into corresponding holes on the caliper? The nubs on the pad don't even look that tall.

arb098

Adventurer
Update: Got the new pads put on. Noticed something pretty cool, though. I'm about 90% sure that they don't work. I could not get them to firm up to save my life, even after bleeding them. I'll probably spend part of today looking into diagrams of our rear brake systems and trying to trace down any potential issues. I know it's getting fluid, but its like the caliper itself can't build pressure. :coffee:

RyanY

Adventurer
Not sure if the Gen 3 is the same, but on the Gen 2s there is a proportioning valve that needs to be bled as well. Did you look up the bleeding procedure in the FSM to make sure it was bled in the correct order?

arb098

Adventurer
ABS brake booster motor functioning correctly? Not sure if that could be part of the problem...

You know, it actually is making a pretty loud sound. I noticed it yesterday while I was going over the brake system. I'm wondering if it is going bad. But if it's going bad, wouldn't it affect all 4 of the brakes?

MoabRefugee

Observer
Did the piston move freely in the bore? About to do fresh rotors/pads and wheel bearing hub assemblies at all corners. I noticed a marked increase in pedal effort prior to my HBB accumulator making the dreaded "quacking duck" sound. After HBB replacement (10 min) and fresh fluid(only at the reservoir), I have much improved braking, and significantly decreased pedal pressure. Still performing the brake service, but the exiting pads are not as "fade prone", as I originally thought. I would suspect a seized caliper piston or failing HBB Accumulator. As others have opined, I would be highly suspect of any work performed by the muppet that did the brakes. My .02

arb098

Adventurer
Did the piston move freely in the bore? About to do fresh rotors/pads and wheel bearing hub assemblies at all corners. I noticed a marked increase in pedal effort prior to my HBB accumulator making the dreaded "quacking duck" sound. After HBB replacement (10 min) and fresh fluid(only at the reservoir), I have much improved braking, and significantly decreased pedal pressure. Still performing the brake service, but the exiting pads are not as "fade prone", as I originally thought. I would suspect a seized caliper piston or failing HBB Accumulator. As others have opined, I would be highly suspect of any work performed by the muppet that did the brakes. My .02

The piston was stiff to move, and it actually took a little effort to get it to compress using the c-clamp. I just attributed this to the fact that it was a northern car with some rust build up on the calipers. Is there a way to accurately test the HBB accumulator? I double checked all the calipers, pads, rotors, and lines, and everything looks normal. I bled the system again, and got no air bubbles what so ever, yet the back brakes still aren't working.

I might just break down and do a complete brake system replacement, but my wallet is already crying just thinking about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94