Temperature readout

trae

Adventurer
I'd like to add an outside temperature readout somewhere in the vehicle. I know there are optional mirrors I can buy, but at ~200USD I'm looking for a cheaper option.

Having trouble finding anything on the forums, but surely there must be something.

Thanks

Scoutn79

Adventurer
There are cheap battery operated ones that have a temp probe lead about 10' long or so. The readout head uses double sided tape to attach inside and you route the temp probe to (typically) behind your front bumper. Some have time and even a black ice warning.
Amazon and your local auto/Walmart carry them.
I would like to find something that hard-wires and looks nice.

Darrell

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Heh. Peel and Stick aquarium thermometers. 50cents each. No wiring required. Just put it in the corner of your driver side window by your shoulder, out of your air / defroster vent flows. It will be close enough. Unless you have to have an exact number or gadget.

https://www.amazon.com/Fashionclubs-Aquarium-Thermometer-Sticker-Stick/dp/B01MZ0H722
Lots of weather station -type options as well as temp monitors related to RVs and battery banks.

Those fish tank thermos have an unrealistic temp range unless you live in San Diego. I need something that goes from -30F to +110 F

trae

Adventurer
Those fish tank thermos have an unrealistic temp range unless you live in San Diego. I need something that goes from -30F to +110 F

Yeah that's such a cool idea though!

I actually bought a wireless probe/readout combo but the readout is huge. I can't find a good spot for it in the vehicle. The blue sea unit looks great though.

61aT0s1NwML._SX522_.jpg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
The wife wanted an outside temp gauge for her little Rav 4 a few years ago. Here in cold country, we have nasty freeze-thaw-freeze winter conditions, so its nice to know where that temp it, specifically for road surface conditions.

I took a chance on a cheapo chinese item, shipped from china.

This one:
s-l500.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Auto-LC...ash=item58b6b83b2e:g:G5gAAOSwnONZC4fg&vxp=mtr

It was the only one I could find that was back-lit, and hardwired 12vDC, and hardwired outside semp sender.

Turns out, the little things are pretty nice.

Ive got one in every vehicle we own now. :ylsmoke:

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Yeah that's such a cool idea though!

I actually bought a wireless probe/readout combo but the readout is huge. I can't find a good spot for it in the vehicle. The blue sea unit looks great though.

61aT0s1NwML._SX522_.jpg

I have this same one. I put the transmitter in the fridge so I can keep an eye on it and the receiver up front with me. At least I know how hot it is in the truck.

Darrell

trae

Adventurer
The wife wanted an outside temp gauge for her little Rav 4 a few years ago. Here in cold country, we have nasty freeze-thaw-freeze winter conditions, so its nice to know where that temp it, specifically for road surface conditions.

I took a chance on a cheapo chinese item, shipped from china.

This one:
s-l500.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Auto-LC...ash=item58b6b83b2e:g:G5gAAOSwnONZC4fg&vxp=mtr

It was the only one I could find that was back-lit, and hardwired 12vDC, and hardwired outside semp sender.

Turns out, the little things are pretty nice.

Ive got one in every vehicle we own now. :ylsmoke:

Ahh I forgot about ebay!

Your solution looks nice, but I think I'd like something smaller right in dash somewhere: http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Digital...048714?hash=item1c7ab94dca:g:KykAAOSw4DJYgYol

High_Country

Adventurer
I have this same one. I put the transmitter in the fridge so I can keep an eye on it and the receiver up front with me. At least I know how hot it is in the truck.

Darrell

I'm all about this option. Cheap, very easy, and you have the ability to move the probe and the readout to wherever (tents, fridges, dog box, etc). I put some double sided Velcro on mine and a piece on the dash.

esh

Explorer
The Bluesea appears to be like any of the other aux 12v socket plugins- ambient only (no external sensor).

I have tried a couple chinese products and they don't tend to last or can be pretty inaccurate (10F off is pretty bad).

It is now possible to build your own display controlled by an ESP8266 or small form arduino. They are cheap controllers with many inputs and have adequate processing power and memory. The sensors are cheap and can be accurate, display options are plentiful and it lets you make something exactly as you like. I am slowly working on a proof of concept display to replace the tacoma and land cruiser digital clock with a in/out temp monitor, humidity and maybe a real-time clock. Something like that could easily fit into a 3d printed housing to surface mount, or a 2-1/16 gauge housing for example. The "scooterputer" is an example of what can be done with cheap hobby electronics.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Ebay and pick-a-part are good places to find used ones from gm trucks and SUV's, get the sensor and the mirror and they are super easy to wire in and install!

SwamperAK

I picked one up at a local truck (as in semi) parts supply store. I haven't yet got around to installing it, but it's a standard 2-1/16" round display unit, hardwired for 12v with a hardwired temp probe. Available with red or blue digits. Around $70 if I remember.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles