Colorado ZR2 and Tacoma TRD Pro compared

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
wow, a little tidbit I was not aware of, the Taco gets better gas milage than the Diesel of the Colorado. NICE work Toyota!

gtbensley

Explorer
Of course the Tacoma got better gas milage then the Colorado!! the Colorado runs on diesel :wings: Sorry, had to say it

Dalko43

Explorer
wow, a little tidbit I was not aware of, the Taco gets better gas milage than the Diesel of the Colorado. NICE work Toyota!

Those are EPA ratings. I'd be willing to bet the diesel zr2 will get better mpg in the real world, especially when it comes to towing or hauling cargo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maximum trailer weight: 5,000 pounds (ZR2); 6,400 pounds with Tow Package (TRD Pro)

Wow...not impressed with the Zr2 tow figures. My 09 Tacoma Off road was horrible at towing my 18ft Hudson even empty. Miss that truck but too many cons to keeping it. I keep looking at the pros but crap that interior sucks. My wifes 4runner is great, hate how it drives though.

straps57

Observer
Maximum trailer weight: 5,000 pounds (ZR2); 6,400 pounds with Tow Package (TRD Pro)

Wow...not impressed with the Zr2 tow figures. My 09 Tacoma Off road was horrible at towing my 18ft Hudson even empty. Miss that truck but too many cons to keeping it. I keep looking at the pros but crap that interior sucks. My wifes 4runner is great, hate how it drives though.

Just buy the Z71 and you can tow 7,000 if you want. Small lift and tires and you are good to go. ZR2 is not a work truck.

I'm on my 2nd Sierra z71 now. Based on what I tow, the camper we are looking at and interior sizes. I am stuck in a full size. Just wish there was more off road capable off the self mods instead of the mall crawler crap for full sizes.

b9ev

Adventurer
What type of stuff are you looking for? There is a ton of stuff out there.

I'm on my 2nd Sierra z71 now. Based on what I tow, the camper we are looking at and interior sizes. I am stuck in a full size. Just wish there was more off road capable off the self mods instead of the mall crawler crap for full sizes.

Looked at both

I looked at both the tacoma to me was very uncomfortable when I sat in a new one . Not sure why because I used to own one, an 07 The Colorado is very nice. If I didn't have a paid off jeep I would be really looking hard at it.

Outback

Explorer
display.jpgFirst of that test was on the GAS ZR2 not the Diesel. The Diesel gets 28 to 32 mpg real world miles on the highway and 22 to 24 in town. NO TACOMA EVER CAME CLOSE TO THOSE MPGS! EVER. In fact the in town mileage of the Colorado Diesel beats the Tacoma Highway mileage. LOL. It seems to me the crowd around here are a bit TACO blind to reality. Next you will say the Tacomas will drive on water.........:Wow1:

MOTOR TRENDS TEST: 23.2/31.4/26.3

Those who have had them for a bit are getting mid 30s highway driving. Towing they are still getting better than Tacomas do with nothing but air behind them. LOL.

When Diesel engines break in they get about 10% to 20% better fuel economy.

Last edited:
My real world experience mpg

First look at my screen name. I owned both the rubicon and the tacoma at the same time never got more than 17 mpg from the taco and after the flip PAC went on it was less. The jeep was /is worse. But I still have it. Sold the taco. Great truck but the jeep has the fun factor by far. Point is yourmpg will vary. And the posted numbers are baloney I'm an old guy I don't drive fast so that isn't the issue the numbers lie

Happykamper

Explorer
Ah my 2012 JKU fully modded gets about 12.8 mpg . My 2004 Tacoma dblcab TRD driven the same way gets 19.6 mpg . I assume my 2017 Tacoma dblcab TRD off-road will best the 2004 . Real world means different things as everyone drives differently. I too am getting older 58 . I tend to just meander :). But even that does not help my 2012 brick .... I mean Jeep !!

Clutch

<---Pass
Yaaaaawn, both kinda lack luster. Awful lot of cash for vehicles that don't do anything well. As they say...a fool and his money.

Too bad we don't get the better versions of these two trucks that Toyota and GM offer elsewhere in the World. The Hilux and the Holden.

Gimme a 2000+ lbs payload, 30+ mpg, manual trans...for $25K then I could get excited.

The ZR2 and TRD Pro are just marketing bull****.

Dalko43

Explorer
Yaaaaawn, both kinda lack luster. Awful lot of cash for vehicles that don't do anything well. As they say...a fool and his money.

Too bad we don't get the better versions of these two trucks that Toyota and GM offer elsewhere in the World. The Hilux and the Holden.

Gimme a 2000+ lbs payload, 30+ mpg, manual trans...for $25K then I could get excited.

The ZR2 and TRD Pro are just marketing bull****.

Lol...go read some Aussie reviews of the Holden. Granted there are some design differences between the global version and the NA one, but the reviews I read indicated that there was nothing too special about it compared to the other pickup's they get over there. Payload differences aside, the ZR2 is likely quite a bit more capable, in stock form, than the version that the rest of the world gets (i say likely because I don't know if anyone has or ever will do a head-to-head comparison). At least on paper, the ZR2's front and rear lockers and multimatic suspension are pretty clutch...no pun intended...and if i recall correctly, the Holden doesn't come with either.

I do agree with you on Toyota bringing the Hilux over there though...TRD has pretty much become a badge/appearance design brand. It would be nice to see them put out something of substance in the near future.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94