2018 G-class adopts IFS ?

ILIAN

Adventurer
Kim kardashian told you that ?

Have u even been Ina new Ford truck ? Don't do it, u may trade ur g and get a Ford after that.

Go see 78.000 dollar Ford F-350 king ranch, test drive it and come edit ur post.

Read my comment above about our vehicles at work, all Fords, different models.

otiswesty

Regular guy
Interestingly enough the Montero IFS would be a better goal for the G to beat than the 100, guys have ran 35's and some have even used 37's with the factory Montero axles without issue for years. Not to mention zero lift for 33's, and once my km2's wear out I will be installing ko2's in the 34x10.50r17 size with just the OME suspension setup, 35's would clear but no need for them. But I agree, the G might be better off with IFS.

Our Montero has been pretty much the bomb since we bought it in 1996. Great car that pretty much never let us down.

Probably selling it this fall for about $1500. Any decent G that age is worth about 20 X that amount

Angelo1

Hey all, I'm considering a new G550 with comfort suspension option for my wife. Reasons I'm leaning towards a G is for her safety as we are surrounded by big trucks and SUVs here in Colorado, plus we love the sound and stadium seating for the kids and the fact you can see corners of vehicle really well. We do venture off the beaten path often during the weekends into the mountains for camping, backcountry hiking, etc where the roads can get pretty bad...think Black Bear Pass, etc. I know the Turing radius is not very good and the steering is lose when driving straight. Should I wait for the 2018 that will have IFS? What would be the true pros and cons of the IFS on the future G. We are looking at rock crawling but we do visits Moab once a year to do Hells Revenge and few others but nothing more hardcore than Hells Revenge. On the safety aspect, it seems safe but lacks crush zones which worries me a bit in certain types of accidents. Wish they would do a real safety test on these.

MetalDog

Observer
Hey all, I'm considering a new G550 with comfort suspension option for my wife. Reasons I'm leaning towards a G is for her safety as we are surrounded by big trucks and SUVs here in Colorado, plus we love the sound and stadium seating for the kids and the fact you can see corners of vehicle really well. We do venture off the beaten path often during the weekends into the mountains for camping, backcountry hiking, etc where the roads can get pretty bad...think Black Bear Pass, etc. I know the Turing radius is not very good and the steering is lose when driving straight. Should I wait for the 2018 that will have IFS? What would be the true pros and cons of the IFS on the future G. We are looking at rock crawling but we do visits Moab once a year to do Hells Revenge and few others but nothing more hardcore than Hells Revenge. On the safety aspect, it seems safe but lacks crush zones which worries me a bit in certain types of accidents. Wish they would do a real safety test on these.

May I suggest a 200 series before taking the plunge into a G? The LC is more durable, safer and much less expensive to mod. I have a 200 and a 2015 G550, and I'm already starting to see the gremlins coming out on my 550. My heart loves the 550, but my gut and my brain love the 200.

Angelo1

Lol! I recently sold my MY 200. I loved it once I had Sleeoffroad modify it but the seats aren't very supportive to me and my lower back noticed it and was difficult on narrow trails here in CO but not so much I couldn't avoid most pinstripes with a good pair of shears. You're absolutely right that the LC is much more practical and more reliable. What kind of gremlins are you getting.

MetalDog

Observer
Lol! I recently sold my MY 200. I loved it once I had Sleeoffroad modify it but the seats aren't very supportive to me and my lower back noticed it and was difficult on narrow trails here in CO but not so much I couldn't avoid most pinstripes with a good pair of shears. You're absolutely right that the LC is much more practical and more reliable. What kind of gremlins are you getting.

Rear left door actuator broke, some pieces of trim that are broken, window squeaks, etc. I can just tell via the Force that the big bills are going to start rolling in when she's about 5 years old lol.

Agreed on the 200 seats, not what they should be for a 85K rig. With that said, I got my wife a 2017 LX570 and the seats are amazing. Wonder if they updated the seats in the 2016+ LC also?

Angelo1

Same seats in the 16 and 17 just a slight upgrade in leather but yeah, $85k and poor seats for he money. I'm in no rush, maybe I'll wait for the MY18 LC and New designed MY18 G to come out. Window squeaks would be bug the crud out of me. I have heard window actuators are a common issue with the G. Few options for a Luxo off-roader these days. I would love to get an LX but the front grille is not my cup of tea and won't allow a front bar or sliders with the AHC.

zimm

Expedition Leader

The traction control systems in these things have taken the necessary skill set away from sand, muddy hill climbs, off camber decents, roots etc. I I was in the Luxo ute market, I'd look at a Range Rover too.

All there are is luxury rigs. Who makes a stripper off-road SUV anymore outside of a 4 door keep or 4 runner?

swb

Observer
Plenty of poverty pack/commercial/working offroaders around, just not in USA.
E.g Toyota Landcruiser 200-series, steel wheels, barn doors. Still has traction aids though. Then there is the 70-series.
However no more Landrover Defender, Nissan Patrol.
Its a merket Mercedes should have filled (W461) as they have with the Sprinter and heavy trucks.

Presumably you can get all the F-150 type things in low spec?

Angelo1

Nothing wrong with added tech to make the job easier and potentially safer for those that want to get into the backwoods in a bit more comfort. Not everyone who goes off-road is rock climbing or beating up the trails like a kid on a quad which was me in my youth. Living here in Colorado, a proper luxe SUV is a great toolkit for driving long distance in and taking the road less traveled. Most of the dirts roads I travel on need to have a good 8" of ground clearance plus have at least a center lock at min. but have used rear lock many times on some rutted snowy inclines. You'd be surprised how many people actually take their RR and G-Wagon "off-road" here. Nobody that buys these care about bouldering or doing anything really extreme. We just like the adventure of getting there and then hiking a couple miles to a great fishing spot. Cheers!

zimm

Expedition Leader
anyone get a good writeup on the differences yet? 4 inches wider and 2 inches longer, but i cant tell if they just grafted 4" in the middle of the coach or what. the trans tunnel looks wider. a clean sheet design is an awful lot of work to keep exposed door hinges, and 2 inches is easily added utilizing the same frame, especally with the tire path of IFS.

it appears to have more articulation too. the poser shot i saw, i cant replicate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles