Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2018 G-class adopts IFS ?

Our work vehicles have had a lot of problems at low mileage, leaking coolant reservoirs, bad starter, check engines lights, wiring harness problems etc. Also their designs are bad, hard to work on.
    2000 Europa G500, 35" Cooper Discoverer STT Pro, 30mm H&R wheel spacers, 40mm spring spacer lift, custom Front Runner rack, 40" Front Runner LED bar, Front Runner cargo net, custom rear bumper with tire carrier, ORC spare wheel storage compartment, VTS transfer case protection plate, VTS aux water tank, ORC 1.5" body lift, custom dual battery compartment, National Luna dual battery controller, custom dual steering damper mounts, Koni Raid shocks; 1991 HDJ81 Land Cruiser on 37's

Only dudes on expedition portal think independent suspension is not as capable,
    New US army JLTV is 4 wheel independent suspension,
    H1/ humvees are 4Wheel independent suspension,
    huge TATRA military trucks are independent suspension.

U keep the solid axles G. I'll take the independent suspension g wagon with locker any-day.
    2017 TACOMA TRD OFF ROAD 6 speed manual
    1997 FZJ80 collectors edition with Lockers
    H1 WAGON
    H1 HMC4
    H1 OPEN TOP
    2009 Ferrari F430
    2017 Viper ACR extreme
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf9FPs40VUM
    GOD BLESS AMERICA

Quote Originally Posted by ILIAN View Post
    Fords quality is crap even for a 2015 vehicle. It can't compare to a G in any way.
    Kim kardashian told you that ?

Have u even been Ina new Ford truck ? Don't do it, u may trade ur g and get a Ford after that.

Go see 78.000 dollar Ford F-350 king ranch, test drive it and come edit ur post.
    2017 TACOMA TRD OFF ROAD 6 speed manual
    1997 FZJ80 collectors edition with Lockers
    H1 WAGON
    H1 HMC4
    H1 OPEN TOP
    2009 Ferrari F430
    2017 Viper ACR extreme
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf9FPs40VUM
    GOD BLESS AMERICA

Quote Originally Posted by REDROVER View Post
    Only dudes on expedition portal think independent suspension is not as capable,
    New US army JLTV is 4 wheel independent suspension,
    H1/ humvees are 4Wheel independent suspension,
    huge TATRA military trucks are independent suspension.

U keep the solid axles G. I'll take the independent suspension g wagon with locker any-day.
    And Pinzgauers, which were also made by Steyr Puch in Graz, like the G.

Down here in Australia, the offroad competition trucks (e.g. Outback Challenge and Tough Truck) are pretty much all SA though, not IFS (Nissan Patrol/Safari being preferred over the Toyota Hilux/80/100 - the Nissan having stronger chassis and axles)
    I dont think an IFS vehicle has participated in these events.

i read back and articles suggested differing body panels and all, but if you compare the disguised units with a pic of current unit, everything is proportionately the same.

if the new body panel rumor is true, then they are effin with photographers and "disguising" old bodies. that would be a funny move to throw of the dogs.
    WALDORF: They aren’t half bad.
    STATLER: Nope, they’re ALL bad!

Quote Originally Posted by zimm View Post
    you dont be stupid, either.

original porsche turbo motors lasted for ****, and the gm diesel experiment in the 70s set unreasonable expectations for crap. ford can now make a 2.7l six for pickup that will last 200000 miles, and we all know a diesel can roll 500000 not 50000. there is NO inherent weakness in IFS, just sloppy or cheap design, which no one expects MB will do. will they care about making it as off road effective as the 100lc? thats another question. My 100 has excellent rear droop and can stuff 35's with a mere 1.5" of lift, and that has a bearing on how IFS effectiveness. with a narrow truck such as a G, likely to have short arms if designed only with on road handling in mind, how tight the rear space is, and how poorly G's lift (granted, much to the front linkage design), it'll be interesting to see what comes of it.

for guys happy with a 2" lift max, and 33's, mostly "overlanding" and not wheeling, i cant see it being anything but better.
    Interestingly enough the Montero IFS would be a better goal for the G to beat than the 100, guys have ran 35's and some have even used 37's with the factory Montero axles without issue for years. Not to mention zero lift for 33's, and once my km2's wear out I will be installing ko2's in the 34x10.50r17 size with just the OME suspension setup, 35's would clear but no need for them. But I agree, the G might be better off with IFS.
    1998 Montero with winter/locker package with Old Man Emu springs/torsion bars/shocks, ARB winch bumper, 33x10.50 km2's, aluminum roof rack with ARB awning

Quote Originally Posted by ILIAN View Post
    Fords quality is crap even for a 2015 vehicle. It can't compare to a G in any way.
    And this is based on what, the simple fact that a G is overpriced compared to a Ford? You are comparing apples to oranges there guy, not exactly making yourself look very intelligent or credible. Ford was never designed nor intended to compete with MB, but Ford does build a decent vehicle. My brother bought his 2011 EcoBoost f150 new and currently has over 140k miles, other than oil changes he has had one wheel hub replaced after discovering a broken belt in the tire(bad vibration). So before you continue to make yourself look unintelligent, try to educate yourself a bit before typing.
    1998 Montero with winter/locker package with Old Man Emu springs/torsion bars/shocks, ARB winch bumper, 33x10.50 km2's, aluminum roof rack with ARB awning

Quote Originally Posted by jeep-N-montero View Post
    Interestingly enough the Montero IFS would be a better goal for the G to beat than the 100, guys have ran 35's and some have even used 37's with the factory Montero axles without issue for years. Not to mention zero lift for 33's, and once my km2's wear out I will be installing ko2's in the 34x10.50r17 size with just the OME suspension setup, 35's would clear but no need for them. But I agree, the G might be better off with IFS.
    People run 35s and 37s on 100 series.

Quote Originally Posted by swb View Post
    And Pinzgauers, which were also made by Steyr Puch in Graz, like the G.

Down here in Australia, the offroad competition trucks (e.g. Outback Challenge and Tough Truck) are pretty much all SA though, not IFS (Nissan Patrol/Safari being preferred over the Toyota Hilux/80/100 - the Nissan having stronger chassis and axles)
    I dont think an IFS vehicle has participated in these events.
    Its mostly the same in the states, the Top Truck Challenge, and King of the Hammers are almost all SA vehicles. Now if we were talking about high speed desert racing, IFS is the obvious winner there.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123