Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2018 G-class adopts IFS ?

Quote Originally Posted by swb View Post
    Good.
    The traction control systems in these things have taken the necessary skill set away from sand, muddy hill climbs, off camber decents, roots etc. I I was in the Luxo ute market, I'd look at a Range Rover too.

All there are is luxury rigs. Who makes a stripper off-road SUV anymore outside of a 4 door keep or 4 runner?

Plenty of poverty pack/commercial/working offroaders around, just not in USA.
    E.g Toyota Landcruiser 200-series, steel wheels, barn doors. Still has traction aids though. Then there is the 70-series.
    However no more Landrover Defender, Nissan Patrol.
    Its a merket Mercedes should have filled (W461) as they have with the Sprinter and heavy trucks.

Presumably you can get all the F-150 type things in low spec?

Nothing wrong with added tech to make the job easier and potentially safer for those that want to get into the backwoods in a bit more comfort. Not everyone who goes off-road is rock climbing or beating up the trails like a kid on a quad which was me in my youth. Living here in Colorado, a proper luxe SUV is a great toolkit for driving long distance in and taking the road less traveled. Most of the dirts roads I travel on need to have a good 8" of ground clearance plus have at least a center lock at min. but have used rear lock many times on some rutted snowy inclines. You'd be surprised how many people actually take their RR and G-Wagon "off-road" here. Nobody that buys these care about bouldering or doing anything really extreme. We just like the adventure of getting there and then hiking a couple miles to a great fishing spot. Cheers!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345