Wall Tents on Safari Rack Setups

panhandlejensen

I am interested in putting together a Wall Tent on top of my Safari Rack. I am wondering if anyone has entertained this idea as a modular option for sun shade & three season action. I am looking into angle kits currently and wondering if people have made this already. I am surprised how popular the roof top tents have become in the the last couple of years, thought this might be a great option... Thoughts? Cheers, Jensen

Attachments

• IMG_5716.jpg
    IMG_5716.jpg
    563.7 KB · Views: 19

WUzombies

Adventurer
Wall tent on your roof? As in like a canvas wall tent?

We use a 10x10 Panther Primitive canvas wall tent (10.3oz Sunforger) with 1" EMT frame and angle kit as our primary tent when not backpacking. It is an incredible tent, we've spent over 10 weeks in that tent in the last couple of years through all types of weather, but I wouldn't want to have it on my roof.

For one it is fairly heavy, especially after heavy rains. The other is that the tent is held down by the wall guy lines, not the bottom wall loops (those only keep the walls down). I'm not sure how you would be able to get the angle right on those lines without running them all the way to the ground. The other is that setup takes practice and still takes a little time, I have a lot of experience with ours and am not 100% sure I could erect it on a decked roof.

F8Industries-AdventureWebSized-02.jpg

panhandlejensen

Thx WU,
I think it would be cumbersome as well for a full blown tent to be set up. I am interested in utilizing an angle kit and 1" EMT as well. As far as the Canvas, I am looking at the structure for shade and an awning on both sides of the Van. Also, to be able to set it up separately for an additional outdoor room. How long does it take for you to set up your rig?

WUzombies

Adventurer
The angle kit and EMT frame has been bullet proof through serious weather, I'm really happy with it.

I can be setup and ready to sleep in 30 minutes, to get everything put together fully it's a bit over an hour. Tear down is about the same, although we did break camp faster than that once, but we were just chunking **** in the van at 4am and trying to bug out because of bad tornadic weather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier