Considering buying this Montero

SD_Montero

Observer
Not sure any one is looking at this thread.... but my brother had a mechanic buyers check done and the one thing he found which may be a deal breaker is that the mechanic found the transfer case to be slightly loose and leaking some oil... Should he run the other way? He's not really mechanically inclined otherwise it probably wouldn't be a big deal to DIY.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Good call getting a check done. Can he afford to get some work done? May be worth it on a cool little truck. Wait for the gurus to answer up on transfer case issue..

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
Odometer picture looks like it's been tampered with, like a roll-back. I'd want to see compression test results. Transfer case is fairly easy to find if a new one is needed. Check the underhood wiring carefully; we've had electrical gremlins on a couple of SWB's in the 89-90 models lately (14th St Crew/AZ). Make sure every single electrical circuit works properly. Overall, I'd say it's kind of ratty for $2700. I would have at least cleaned the hell out of it before trying for that kind of a price. Note as an example the bungee cord battery hold-down...

John B.

Tundraguy81

Observer
If he's not mechanically inclined he may want to stay away from an older Montero. It can get expensive paying someone else to work on it. Even if it's just maintenance.

SD_Montero

Observer
Odometer picture looks like it's been tampered with, like a roll-back. I'd want to see compression test results. Transfer case is fairly easy to find if a new one is needed. Check the underhood wiring carefully; we've had electrical gremlins on a couple of SWB's in the 89-90 models lately (14th St Crew/AZ). Make sure every single electrical circuit works properly. Overall, I'd say it's kind of ratty for $2700. I would have at least cleaned the hell out of it before trying for that kind of a price. Note as an example the bungee cord battery hold-down...

John B.
Thanks for the input!! Yeah he may have to pass on this one, at the same time I kind of hope he gets it just so I can drive it around...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier