Overland subscription box. Would anyone be interested in something like that?

flintrawhide

my wife and I are in the process of starting a monthly subscription box catered towards the overland community. Our goal is to provide useful gear, not trinkets and novelty items. We hope this will be a great resource for those new to the overland life to get some good gear to start outfitting their kit. At the same time hopefully help expose our seasoned overland subscribers to new useful gear that they did not know about.
Our plan is to have two size boxes each month, one would be a basic, we are calling it the explorer, with 3-4 items that would be more geared to the camp aspect. The second box (called the overlander) would have the same things but would also contain something for the vehicle, i.e. vehicle lights, switch kits, Jerry can, those sorts of things.

I am looking for feedback.... of any kind. Would it be something anyone would be interested in. What kind of price point would you be willing to pay? Would you want one really good product and a few smaller things or or just a couple of good products?
Price point for the explorer would be around $45-50 and the overlander we have not quite nailed down yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southpier

Expedition Leader
in all honesty, I think the only people who would subscribe are folks with money but no time to actually use the stuff. it would make them feel like participating in the "overland community" while sitting in the cubicle.

great first post, though. shows a real dedication to the cause.

XJINTX

Explorer
Seems like if someone is already an "Overlander" they should be pretty well setup already. That would create a lot of duplicates or you would really have to reach for what you provide... just my .02

Mauzer

I think you have to find a better niche for a subscription box, and if you're looking to get into the "outdoor" goods market there are already a couple solid options (Nomadid, Cairn, Campbox). Just being honest, your higher dollar box would have to be pretty pricey, I'm not going to put some low dollar lights on my rig and I'm especially not going to pay for a subscription service to send them to me. If you could offer a lower price on items then wouldn't it be better to just develop an online store?

Just a few quick thoughts, but I wish you all the luck in your endeavor.

krick3tt

Adventurer
If you are on this site asking 'Overlanders' if they are willing to spend more money to find out about equipment that is already being discussed here, perhaps you might aim more toward the less adventurous of the population and it might require a more in-depth separate site. There is so much information available thru many sites already that I fear duplication of knowledge that tends toward a different branch of the off road tree.
Not meaning to rain on your parade but perhaps this is being over done already.
Good luck in your endeavors.

bunger

Adventurer
I have the ability and desire to source things that I need. I purchase based on value & quality.
I don't need (or want) anyone to "bundle" things for me.

Plus as was stated above, most of us have what we need already and each of us have different needs/wants.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Something you might consider "value" or "quality" might be completely different than how I would define those terms so certainly not something I'd take a chance on.

v_man

Explorer
If the box contained overlanding stickers, chinese knockoff LED lights, titanium sporks, and a khaki hat.....I might be interested.

Graton

Subscription boxes are great for some things - consumables such as food and beverages, non-consumables with short lives such as kids toys/games, pet toys, books, etc. I don't see it working with overlanders - everything is very personal, and all of us, aside from being pretty opinionated, tailor our purchases towards our specific needs - plus most of us enjoy the research and hunt for equipment. Most subscription boxes seem like novelty and frivolous items - the opposite of how most of us approach overlanding - with the exception for snow peak addiction - I have no idea what they are buying.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
my wife and I are in the process of starting a monthly subscription box catered towards the overland community. Our goal is to provide useful gear, not trinkets and novelty items. We hope this will be a great resource for those new to the overland life to get some good gear to start outfitting their kit. At the same time hopefully help expose our seasoned overland subscribers to new useful gear that they did not know about.
Our plan is to have two size boxes each month, one would be a basic, we are calling it the explorer, with 3-4 items that would be more geared to the camp aspect. The second box (called the overlander) would have the same things but would also contain something for the vehicle, i.e. vehicle lights, switch kits, Jerry can, those sorts of things.

I am looking for feedback.... of any kind. Would it be something anyone would be interested in. What kind of price point would you be willing to pay? Would you want one really good product and a few smaller things or or just a couple of good products?
Price point for the explorer would be around $45-50 and the overlander we have not quite nailed down yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the concept of subscription boxes (we've done food, fruit, wine over the years), but not sure that it ultimately translates for this audience, which is very diverse in mode and method.

IMHO you would have more luck with a poseur-box (of course you wouldn't call it that) for desk bound folks that dream of overlanding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online