WTB Truck/Camper combo or possible trade for our 4x4 144" sprinter

Flagster

Expedition Leader
My wife and I have decided to sell our 4x4 sprinter for something a bit more liveable full time in the PNW and AK where I travel occasionally for work. We will be using the truck in AK as a basecamp as we travel between AK and Tucson, AZ for work. I need the ability to tow a decent sized fishing boat and the Sprinter we are currently living out of leaves much to be desired in towing capacity.
So we are looking for a hard sided double walled camper like a bigfoot or similar on a gas or diesel 3500+ truck. If diesel would prefer 7.3l or 5.9l pre def motors...haha had my fill of DEF and DPF under MBenz service rates.

Flatbed would be nice but not necessary.
Price range of 50-65K ideally but willing to push that for the right rig.

Our sprinter will be for sale shortly and trades also considered although we may keep the van in AZ...(haven't decided yet)

2015 4x4 144" with 23K miles...details will be listed soon.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Bummer - hope a deal comes up for you to jump on.

Ford is doing much better on the towing ratings with the Transit vans - I was looking this up for a friend tonight - they offer up to 13,500 lbs GCWR and 7300 lbs towing on their long wheel base with the high roof using the diesel and 12600 lbs GCWR and 6800 lbs towing for the gasser EcoBoost. Not sure how a 4x4 conversion would affect these ratings though...

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/17RV&TT_Ford_Transit_Sep7.pdf

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Bummer - hope a deal comes up for you to jump on.

Ford is doing much better on the towing ratings with the Transit vans - I was looking this up for a friend tonight - they offer up to 13,500 lbs GCWR and 7300 lbs towing on their long wheel base with the high roof using the diesel and 12600 lbs GCWR and 6800 lbs towing for the gasser EcoBoost. Not sure how a 4x4 conversion would affect these ratings though...

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/17RV&TT_Ford_Transit_Sep7.pdf

Thanks for the info. Yes the transits do offer much better tow ratings in diesel and gas options. Honestly if we were doing the van build again there is no question I would seriously look at the transits but I am not sure I want to build another van...

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Good luck with your trade search.

I'd guess that you know you're gonna want to still keep an eye on cargo weight rating with the truck-camper combos. In the past year, I've looked at several 1ton 4wd truck/camper combos and all have been overweight (including a very nice, newer Ford 350 with a 9' Bigfoot).

That overweight issue concerned me mostly because I'm looking for something to use on and off-road on extended travels, so loaded weights being within the truck CCC ratings was important. I'm now convinced that, unless you go with a lighter camper or jump up to the F450, the best bet may be to tow a small gear trailer (not an option for you though if your towing a boat).

This weight seems to be an issue that some folks (especially re-sellers) like to ignore though.

You might want to Check out this thread here:
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/170950-so-basically-3-4-ton-1-ton-heavier-camper

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior