Mitsu crank, no start question

mr_ed

Toolbag
Hello all. I have a quick question for the Mitsu gurus here. It's a friend's 2007 Galant that I'm helping him with (I know, not a Monty. I'm sorry...this is just a last-ditch effort), and I'm getting stumped and figured I'd at least ask here since you all have been great with Montero knowledge. I've been searching the web plenty but most of the threads on mainstream (fixya, cargurus, etc...) just have the same basic initial checks, then dead-end.

I'm trying to save my buddy and his wife some money, as they are a young couple who are trying to pay down some college debt, and also expecting their first kiddo any day now and this is their only car. They're using my truck in the interim. Anyway, he drove the Galant into work last week, parked, and when he went to leave for lunch the car cranked and cranked, but would not start.

It is a 2007 Galant, 170k miles, 2.4 liter inline 4, ran perfectly up till last week. Here is a list of checks I have performed, to the best of my ability:

-Engine codes. No check engine light, no codes. What, exactly, would you say it is ya do here, CEL??

-Timing. Belt is intact. Timing is on the money.

-Fuel. Has over half a tank. Disconnected line at the rail, get plenty of fuel gushing out while cranking. Disconnected plug at pump, have power while cranking (it is my understanding that the pump is not powered until you crank; the pump does not operate when the key is simply in "ON". I verified this on my 2.5 Gen Montero...I know, different vehicles, but the general layout of the pumps are the same, so I'm making an educated assumption here). Cracked open the intake and shot a couple squirts of MAF cleaner in while the car was cranking...figured if there was a fuel issue, the car would at least try when the MAF cleaner hit it. Nothing.

-Air. Air cleaner is in good condition. Also, car ran great, then wouldn't at all...more like a switch was thrown.

-Spark. Here's where these danged fly-by-wire vehicles these days really grind my gears. Nowhere near straightforward. It's coil-on-plug, so you can't just pop a plug out, ground it out with pliers, and check spark. I checked all appropriate fuses, none blown. I checked each coil connector and I have power on the power wire at each coil. Checked cam and crank position sensor connections. 12 volts at each sensors power wire, 5 ish volts at each signal wire which is what I think I'm supposed to see there, based on the best I could gather from the interwebs.

What I have changed:

-Cam position sensor. I do not have the requisite oscilloscope for proper testing of these sensors, but I figured the cam and crank sensors were the most likely culprits...they both are common failure items whose sudden failure can single-handedly stop the engine from operating. Cam sensor was right up top, so I started with it. No joy.

-Crank position sensor. Still no joy. Inspected the entire timing belt while I was in there...everything looked great, good tension, timing has not jumped. Barred the engine over, compression feels good. I have not checked compression with my gauge though...not sure I could get my tester screwed in to a spark plug hole down at the bottom of the 8 inch pits they put them in.

I'm not sure what all I can check further. I don't have a fuel pressure tester, so I can't say for sure that it's getting the proper PSI at the rail, but based on what I got spurting out of the line when I disconnected it, I'm not sure shotgunning a fuel pump would do anything. Does any of you folks have any ideas as to where I could go next? ECU maybe? I've never experienced a failed ECU, but what I've heard, they will tend to throw codes around on their way out.

I apologize for the long post, and for it not being about a cool Mitsubishi Montero. I'm just running out of ideas and I know there are some guys on here who are legit savvy with Mitsu engineering. If I can't figure it out, I'm afraid I'm going to have to just send my buddy to the mechanic. I really don't want him to have to do that, cuz there's only two mechanic shops on the island (we live on Kodiak Island) and one of the shops just got busted for dealing meth out the back, so the other shop has jacked their prices up to optimum ********** levels since they are now the only game in town.

Thanks in advance for any insight you guys might have!

Ed

RyanY

Adventurer
You should be able to check for individual spark by pulling a coil and it's plug, installing the plug in the end of the coil, then rest the threads of the plug against a ground and crank the motor. You'll be able to see if the plug is sparking strongly, but I suspect they all will be, since you've got good voltage at the coils.

The fact that it's not starting at all pretty much rules out any single-cylinder failure like an ignition coil or fuel injector, because it would still run on 3 cylinders if that were the problem.

I'm thinking that you need to get a scan tool and start looking to see what the ECU is seeing from it's sensors.

SD_Montero

Observer
On my montero I had the exact same thing happen and it was due to no spark. The connector actually came loose due to a missing clip. Never rule out the very most obvious things. Just my 2c

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Since these things are really just computers, it would be cool to see a list of computer fault scenarios that would lead to no spark or no injectors operating. To me I'd be wondering if the computer isn't happy and it won't start, vs the computer thinking it is happy but really it's something the computer can't see (like out of gas, or a loose connector).

Last edited:

mr_ed

Toolbag
Never rule out the very most obvious things. Just my 2c

Well, you're on point there...the obvious is what it turned out to be.

Even though I'd already tried this with MAF cleaner, I got ahold of some ether and shot some in the intake and tried cranking it, just for giggles. What do ya know, it tried to start. Obviously not a spark issue. I was beginning to look into a fuel pump replacement since all the relays and electrical for the pump checked out when it hit me...

...his key is one of those with the integrated fobs; the key handle houses the lock/unlock buttons. It was missing its guts. The little electrical button box was in his console. I called him and asked him how long it had been like that. Turns out he'd dropped the keys and it busted open on his way out to his car immediately before he had the no start problem. I reinstalled the button unit back into the key, cranked her over, and the car started as if nothing had ever been wrong. Man I felt stoopid.

It never occurred to me that this might be the issue...on my Montero, whenever I do something that triggers the security crap, it won't even crank. It just disables the whole works. Buy I guess on this Galant (and also on Eclipses, from what I was reading online) the immobilizer disables the fuel circuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD_Montero

Observer
This happened to me on a ferry boat lol. I was using the wrong key in my parents acura. It would crank and crank but not start. They had to push me off with a kind of vehicle they have for that. And while I was rolling off i realized what I did wrong and used the right key and just drove off. Looked like a total moron probably 😁

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

mr_ed

Toolbag
Haha I hate these computerized cars! Gotta love my '83 Subaru GL commuter...has ONE belt and any adverse running issues can be rectified with a straight edge screwdriver...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior