new project Class C 21 feet

BigDan

Observer
Just bought a 1996 21 feet class C from triple E
it`s really clean it has a 460 with OD auto tranny ,....

I bought this to pull my modded Jeep in AZ,CA, UT in the winter ,,,,, ( we are snowbirds now ) .

My project with it ,for now is to install a front Hitch so I could use my 80000 winch if ever I get in trouble while going in certain BLM territories ....

There is two things id like to modify for now :

1) change the differential for disc brake version
and put one with a positrack .....

2) install headers & dual exhausts

I Wonder if a posi would last Under a class C RV ?

View attachment 402443

IMG_1641.jpg

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
I'm with RedF, a gear driven LSD: namely the Detroit/Eaton True Trac. It's there when you need it; tough as nails; transparent. Next you need to convert to 4WD with a solid Dana 60 Ford front axle and a T-case. Oh, a 4" lift would be fine. This would be a true 4-season rig.
jefe Our 20 foot all road or no road, all season truck camper near Darwin Falls, Death Valley

BigDan

Observer
Id like to convert to 4x4 , maybe in future .....
I hate the way the twin axle drives...... steering wheel always suggy ...the front solid differential would solve this steering linkage problem

illl look into those gear driven lsd ...

thanks

Dan

BigDan

Observer
My 7,5L is gutless for that much cubic inches .....( 245hp )

I have two possibilities :

1) raise cr to 9,5 , torque cam , headers , dual exhaust , twin 61mm throttle body , ported F3TE heads for 400 hp
or

2) install a 2000 7,3L power stroke .....

Im adressing to those who own a power stroke .....is it good on fuel consumption ? powerwise how is it ?

real results please !

thanks

Dan

BigDan

Observer
Got myself two projects for the class C

a 460 ( 7,5L ) almost identical to mine...ill rebuild this one and do the switch

a Dana 70 rear diff with 4:10 disc brakes ...( mine is drum )

IMG_2408.jpgIMG_2454.jpgIMG_2452.jpgIMG_2459.jpgIMG_2463.jpgIMG_2467.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2426.jpg
    IMG_2426.jpg
    525.5 KB · Views: 24

Paddy

Adventurer
I vote for truetrac in back also. I installed one in a truck and it completely transformed it on and off road. Wonderful devices and very fairly priced.

Meili

Adventurer
I get places with my S10 with rear Tru-Trac in 2wd that used to require 4WD with stock Gov-Locks!

BigDan

Observer
I `ve added some solar panels ...

a 280 watts 24v on a 30A mppt controler that can be tilted to catch the low winter sun ......
I also have two mobile 40 watts coleman with their own controlers
and a fixed 100 watts with wpm controler ( installed by previous owner )

alll installed on separate circuits

total possibility of 460 watts of solar energy ....should be enough to boondock this winter in AZ , CA & UT

Daniel IMG_2670.jpg

Chorky

Observer
Not sure if you are still considering a 7.3 swap but I like it. I tow a 7K trailer and about 1-2K in the bed and still get around 15 mpg (I live in hilly-mountain terrain). Unloaded I can get up to 21. But that is all with 210K miles and 100% stock components - a engine refresh and some minor mods would certainly make the mileage better while increasing power.

Not that it applies to your situation, but the one thing I am coming to realize is the limitations of my frame for off-highway use while maxing the GCVW, so I am considering looking into a frame swap or mods - something to seriously consider if you plan to do anything off of a good paved road.

BigDan

Observer
Came back from winter road trip in AZ & Utah with Jeep in tow .....
E-350 based class C RV ....

Even after getting caster to 4 deg + on the RV , I still dont like the way it handles ( track) on road....sloppy steering feel ...
So, I`m back to the idea of putting it 4x4 with a solid axle Dana 60 in front ,

I looked on the net, two ways : coil suspension like original or leaf springs .....
Id prefer the coil suspension for it`s softness ,but Wonder how much work to convert with F350 diff ....anyone did it ?

I had a Mormon herrington van conversion on my 84 E250 with leaf springs , simple to do but ride wash harsh and almost no Wheel travel .....

comments : ?
thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne