Painting seat backs and seat bottoms with bedliner, anyone done it?

JCDriller

Adventurer
My GSD rides in the flipped forward back seat area of my 5th gen 4R. I've made a great and stable platform for her and found a nice fitting mat. Only thing left is to cover the seat backs and bottoms to keep her hair from getting stuck. I've had canvas back liners in my JKU, they were ok, I'm looking for something more permanent.

I'm thinking about popping the seat backs and bottoms of the rear seats, or just taping them off and painting with a self cure bedliner like monstaliner. I figure 1 heavy coat, let it set, then sand off all the fuzz sticking through, followed by a 2nd coat would likely be perfect.

Anyone done this?

platform

dog mat

bkg

Explorer
Berliner isn't all that flexible. And jeeps are usually topless.... You're idea is a bad one.

JCDriller

Adventurer
Berliner isn't all that flexible. And jeeps are usually topless.... You're idea is a bad one.

Flexible? The seat backs and bottoms are plastic coved with carpet, they don't flex. To be clear I'm not talking about the part you sit on, I'm talking about the seat back that is continuous with the cargo area and the set bottom of the back seats that is exposed when the seats are rolled forward.

Edited: I went back outside a looked closer, the seat bottoms are plastic and yea, it's not super thick. The seat backs are more flexible. I may have to cut some ply and bedline that to cover the seat backs.

Last edited:

JCDriller

Adventurer
So I decided it give the seat bottoms a shot. My plan was to burn of the flocking, sand, then bedline. However, after hitting it with a propane torch, i'm satisfied. We'll see how well it holds up but it quickly turned into a perfect texture. Took about 5 minutes per piece. Because of the dog hair the seat bottoms were my main target, I may or may not mess with the seat backs.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I just don't understand why manufacturers have to put fuzzy carpeting on every surface. I have dog hair stuck to everything in my truck. Your fix looks factory and will certainly repel hair. Nice.

-Jorge

Adventurous

Explorer
Unconventional but cool! We have 3 dogs that travel with us and the hair to show it. Our short haired dog sheds a ton and his white hairs weave their way into all of the grey fabric on the seats. If I still had a back seat I'd do what you did, alas, I do not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior