4th of July in Silverton

I post this each year just in case anyone is interested. We head up to Silverton for Parades, mines, trails and dangerous amounts of explosives. Its a 4 day this year. If anyone is interested let me know. Usual camp location on Black Bear.

Marcus2113

Observer
We may be interested to link up with you for the weekend. Our tentative plan was to travel from Ouray to Telluride via Yankee Boy Basin and then from Telluride to Silverton via 145 and Ophir Pass. After we finish Telluride and Silverton, our plan was to do the Alpine Loop.

We will be new to CO this summer and not sure how difficult Black Bear Pass is; especially with a RTT.

To be honest we really do not have a trail plan yet, I am flexible as I have done them all plenty of times. I have not even looked at the trail melt situation yet. 4th of July is really way to early for Silverton( or Colorado trails in general) but the parade, fireworks, and heat in Albuquerque make it a great time. We usually take the kids to the Hot Springs in Ouray one day for a couple of hours, and some times we will do something like hit the mine or Mill tour. All trails except Poughkipsee our SUPER easy. Black Bear is generally not open on the 4th anyhow, but even its relatively easy with decent gearing. Where we camp is just a few minutes off Red Mountain Pass, before it gets steep.

Marcus2113

Observer
That sounds great in regards to linking up. We have a very flexible plan as well. We are bringing our 2-year old daughter along for the trip and always looking for recommendations.

The trip plan I presented is something I put together today, based on some books I purchased and their trail descriptions. As it gets closer, I have the contact numbers to inquire about snow melt and road closures.

Since we are leaving next week and traveling from GA to DE to PA to Ontario to WI to CO over the summer, I'm a little behind on the planning. I posted our "rough" plan on my Overland Enthusiasts Facebook page, but the route is slightly changing based on feedback. I will be updating the map shortly once I get back on a computer.

Regardless, it would be great meeting another Montero family familiar with the area in CO. Keep us posted on your plan and if you want to discuss further details to develop an itinerary, I am open to that as well. Let us know what works best for you.

Might as well tag along with us. We have 5 and 7 year old boys. We are planning to leave Friday afternoon, getting in close to sunset I believe. To get to the camp its the top of Red Mountain Pass off 550, turn off towards Black Bear, then take a left through the river below the waterfalls. If you start a second set of very steep switch backs you have gone too far. Once across the water we like to camp to the left on a knoll with some great views. I will keep an eye on trail conditions. So far it is not great. Its been a very cool and wet April-May. A couple of weeks ago it snowed all weekend at our place in Albuquerque. My number is 505-252-0915 to touch base on the road or text.

Speeedy2222

I texted ManfromSnowyRiver just to touch base. I will be out in colorado leaving from indiana saturday morning. Should be in colorado sunday mid day. Still unsure of our exact plans, but definitely will be in the silverton area around july 4th.

We might be looking at a couple more days after the 4th as well now over around Salida. Speedy wants to hit the Old Hundred mine on the 4th as well. Marcus be sure to update when you can. Need to figure out when to take the kids to the Hot springs.

Marcus2113

Observer
We are making our way down from WI still on timeframe to link up with you for the week of the 4th. Any updates to the plan? What day do you plan on getting up to CO?

Meeting up with Mark and his family was awesome. When you cross a mechanical engineer with a Montero you get a marvelous set up! Hopefully we can get them in on some future trips. Even saw a Moose and Moose Baby. Snow was crazy this year of course, but we had fun. The count was one bad ******** side by side rolling over on a switch back as he blasted by and one side by side pulling a Thelma on the main road to Howardsville for the record. What is it with those things?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online