Pass thru window from cab questions

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Hey gang,

Not sure where to post this query, but...

I want to find a custom glass shop that can make me a big slider window, one that allows me to climb in from my full size truck into the the camper.

I'm wanting a bigger slider than the worthless, tiny rear windows the newer trucks have on them, a slider window more like the one my '89 Chevy had in it, that my wife and I could actually crawl thru into our pickup camper.

Do any of you have any ideas who makes or could fabricate this type of thing (in the western US)? The after market sliders are only big enough to pass a biscuit to your dog in the back!

If any of ya'll have a creative DIY solution, I'm all ears!

southpier

Expedition Leader
unless you are planning to cut the cab, I think slide opening size will be pretty limited. would you opt for a top hinged window? or one which would be removable? might give you a wider market to tap.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Don't want to cut the sheet metal.

I was wondering if I couldn't get a custom window made, then maybe I could do something like:

--cut out the whole center portion of the existing rear window, frame that cut out opening, then put a slider rear window from an older truck (much bigger slider opening) over it, and somehow glue/silicone caulk the old window along the edges over the existing one, so that the old window slider was lined up over the cut open section of the existing window?

Ideas? Comments?

Thx

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Thx for tips...don't really want to do the window delete with full boot cause it's a problem to use truck once camper is off of it.

I did that trick years ago with an old Ford....it made the camper really accessible but the boot leaked in rain and snow :(

1000arms

Hey gang,

Not sure where to post this query, but...

I want to find a custom glass shop that can make me a big slider window, one that allows me to climb in from my full size truck into the the camper.

I'm wanting a bigger slider than the worthless, tiny rear windows the newer trucks have on them, a slider window more like the one my '89 Chevy had in it, that my wife and I could actually crawl thru into our pickup camper.

Do any of you have any ideas who makes or could fabricate this type of thing (in the western US)? The after market sliders are only big enough to pass a biscuit to your dog in the back!

If any of ya'll have a creative DIY solution, I'm all ears!
Any updates?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Thank you. ... Hopefully forum members will still add ideas and/or solutions to this thread! :)
It's a neat concept. Def one benefit of a van over a truck / camper combo is access to the driver compartment if need arises.

This would help solve that. I do recall years ago looking at a 70's GMC 3/4 ton with a sleeper.
The back window was removed so you could access the sleeper and I believe is was sealed with weather striping or something.

Kinda like this:
24121927-1979-gmc-sierra-std.jpg

Not sure if a similar idea could work with a truck camper combo?

If the truck has a sunroof, this could work?

Another article on installing the above mentioned Breezer Window to use a camper passthrough:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz