Liquid Spring suspension for Medium duty truck?

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Interesting. I was interested until..."a sophisticated on‐board microprocessor to monitor driving conditions." It's a 5-link, (no leaf springs, coils, or airbags) hydraulic pressure system with very fast valve sensing, per wheel, but somehow off-road and Overlanding does not fit in the equation. And they look heavy and over engineered. A larger, pavement locked MoHo; yes. A bus for retired people; check; but a bus of off-road retired people (like myself), not so much. That oil is going to get pretty hot going on roads like this:

However, Buck, I would like to see this work with both drive axles, assuming they make it for a front drive axle, and you, my man, are the one to do it. I will keep a close watch as this would be a space-age build.
I'll stick with my long standing contention that a good leaf spring pack, say by National Spring in San Diego is the best solution for a heavy, off-road rig, and a 4300 will have some weight. Why? Recoil. Coils and airbags have an equal and opposite recoil action that dumb, rusty old, friction filled, leaf springs don't. Even with heavy shocking you just get a more jolty ride. It's a quandary. The closest to greatness that i've seen in this department is the Currie Enterprizes' Anti Rock Sway bars. These are miraculous. I've seen the miracle with my own eyes on the Rubicon and at the Hammers.
jefe

Last edited:

Copperhead14

Observer
We are putting these on our newest ambulance at the fire station. They are made across town from where I live. I might go look at the manufacturing facility in the next few weeks.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Overlanding isn't harder on suspension than an Ambulance in downtown Cleveland or Chicago. Thanks to crooked bureaucrats, those cities have roads far rougher than the Baja 1000. Heck, dirt roads in FL are something I consider smooth. I suspect most of my work trucks joint wear is from city travel, not pipeline access roads. And we're running squishy tires, not low pro 120psi F rated tow truck tires.

It would be nice to see if city garages like this suspension, especially tourist cities around the great lakes. Those citys, like Huron for example, have some hardcore offroad little fire trucks for brush fires, missing kids, beaches etc. etc.

Welcome to 1993 technology. It's amazing how long it takes to trickle down into a salable product. Banned in 1 season:
Williams-FW14B.jpg

In hindsight, maybe this technology should have been allowed to exist. Darn near every street vehicle could use this tech. Rumor has it, that some F1 teams want active suspension back for 2018. It's not nearly as complex or expensive as it used to be. (a flying toy drone is more complex) ERS and KERS is far more challenging.

I'd suspect that these systems have limited suspension travel. They're for heavy RV's and such that generally don't need a ton of flex.

Last edited:

buckiii2

I don't plan on doing this type of off roading. I just finished my 5th and 6th back surgeries. I have 22 screws in my back. I just want a smooth ride.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles