FJ62 LS Swap - Lone Star Sleeper - Stoffregen Motorsports

Dances with Wolves

aka jk240sx
Cool Idea about matting the top of the tank. I used to build drift cars with Walbro pumps and we double matted the floors above the tank. it was A PITA to drop an old 240sx tank without cracking the seam. Old plastic 2-piece tanks suck.

Remember that Renault Fuego power steering pump I wanted to use? That didn't work out, as the inlet was right where the engine block wants to be. I had another plan though. Using a pump can from a mid 80's 3/4 ton Suburban (originally equipped with hydro-boost assist) I got the system all ironed out. We'll have to come up with a reservoir, but I think we can use one from a Toyota mini truck or FJ80.

Here are the three pumps I had to play with. The Fuego pump on the left, Suburban pump in the middle and original 2010 GM truck pump on the right.

I removed the can from the Suburban pump cut off the two small hard line nipples and welded up one of them. The other got a 1/4" NPT bung, in case we decide to plumb the return back to the pump, instead of my plan to plumb the return back to the remote mounted reservoir. I figure if it's plumbed back to the reservoir, the pump will circulate the fluid more effectively and it will also help keep the air bubbles from forming in the pump. Toyota did it this way, so it should work out fine.

I like using Aeroquip reusable hose ends on the power steering hoses, so I also installed a -6AN adapter fitting to the feed port on the pump.

The correct transmission finally arrived!!! It took forever to source a 6L80E, but it's here, and I can now resume with the engine placement and mounts, as well as the fan shroud and exhaust. It's dirty, but looks to be in overall good shape. I'll take the pan off and have a look at the fluid before we fire it up.

Brennan Metcalf had one of these crane scales in his build thread, so I bought one for myself. Out of curiosity, I weighed the trans. It came in at just under 170 lbs.

With the trans bolted up, I took some new measurements and decided to move the engine back about 1.5" from where it was. I hate having to shorten front driveshafts, as they are almost never long enough to begin with, so every fraction of an inch counts.

Instead of pulling the motor to move the mounts, I unbolted it and rest it on my large welding table, cut the tack welds holding the motor mounts, tacked them where I wanted them and bolted it back up.

Once it was bolted up and positioned where I wanted it, it was time to address the trans crossmember. I knew it was going to require some modification, but the amount of mods required made the decision for me, I would just build a new crossmember instead.

On to the fun stuff. I love fabricating things out of sheetmetal. The fan shroud is one of those parts that you can't do without, can't buy and can be time consuming to build. But I have it down to a science.

Some may wonder why I chose to use a mechanical, engine driven fan instead of electric fans. Well I have not seen an electric fan yet that can outperform a stock mechanical fan. They can be expensive and they are also prone to failure. So there was no choice as far as I was concerned.

The process to build the shroud is simple. Start with a box (properly placed with the correct offset and depth), cut a hole in it (a carefully placed hole) and weld up a ring that will direct the air. I always keep the tips of the fan blade subtly exposed to help eliminate any cavitation.

Anyway, here's the pics, which explain the process pretty well by themselves.

Gotta protect the shiny new radiator.

Installed and ready for measuring.

Start making the box.

Slight kink for hose clearance

Mock up again and take more measurements.

Mark the centerline of the fan.

Mark the hole, cut it open and bend the hoop.

Set the depth.

Make room for lower hose.

And weld it up.

Double check that all your time and measurements are correct.

Grab a beer, turn out the lights and go get some dinner. Lone Star Sleeper getting some shuteye.

NCFJ

Adventurer
Its starting to come together, looking good Matt.

Where did you find the scale? Part number perhaps?

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader

Where is you find the scale? Part number perhaps?

Search '2000lb scale' on amazon. Pick least sketchy looking unit. They are about 130 bucks. Mine has been really handy to have around....

Cool Idea about matting the top of the tank. I used to build drift cars with Walbro pumps and we double matted the floors above the tank. it was A PITA to drop an old 240sx tank without cracking the seam. Old plastic 2-piece tanks suck.

Thanks.

So you used the sound Dynamat for the same reason? Noisy fuel pump?

Drifting was my other calling...

Nice scale!

Thanks for the shroud ideas. I need to make one soon....

Yeah, it's pretty easy. Just time consuming. Much like everything else.

Where is you find the scale? Part number perhaps?

Thanks Stan! Waiting for parts sucks. Once I got the trans, the pace really picked up. The good news is that a lot of the small systems are already done.

Search '2000lb scale' on amazon. Pick least sketchy looking unit. They are about 130 bucks. Mine has been really handy to have around....

Here's a link - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WUI9XPI/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NCFJ

Adventurer
I try to stay ahead on parts, stock a wide assortment of common stuff. But there are always parts problems that slow your roll and turn your hair grey :)

Loubaru

Adventurer
As someone who often has to troubleshoot large heavy industrial pumps your idea to plumb the return back to the reservoir is correct.

Clintnz

Observer
Great stuff! Your build threads are always an education.

Next, I decided to work on the brakes. Fitting a larger booster greatly reduces the pedal effort required to bring this behemoth to a stop, and luckily, the FJ80 booster, while hugely expensive new, is relatively plentiful in wrecking yards. I happened to have a good one here, so that saved me a trip.

You can also get reasonably priced brand new aftermarket dual diaphragm 80 series boosters off aussie ebay, seller bxbooster. Mine looked good & has performed well so far.

Cheers
Clint

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles