FJ62 LS Swap - Lone Star Sleeper - Stoffregen Motorsports

One problem area I had to deal with was the trans cooler lines. The -6 AN manifold I originally bought has the nipples pointing straight out at the exhaust. With a 90 degree fitting, there was still only 1/2" clearance to the exhaust. I didn't want to risk it so I found and ordered a different type of cooler line manifold from Marks in Australia. Normally I purchase my Marks parts from Advance Adapters, but they did not stock this, nor were they jumping at the chance to get me one. Normally afraid of international shipments, I sent an email to Marks asking if I could order direct, and how long it would take. They were super helpful and three days later I had the manifold. I will now be buying direct from them. Sorry AA.

Here's a comparison of the two manifolds.

It's hard to see here, but if you look hard enough, you can see I've got plenty of clearance now.

I don't know if you remember the power steering pump ordeal. The original GM pump was just too close to the steering box (a problem I had on the last LS swapped FJ60 I built), and the top of the reservoir was about level with the height of the lines going to the steering box. Since that last truck's PS system was a pain to bleed, I figured the best way to fix that would be to have a reservoir that was the highest point in the system. I had to build a custom PS pump can, with only one port on it, and then I had to come up with a solution for the reservoir.

The way GM had their remote reservoirs set up was with one drain port from the reservoir going to the pump, and the return line was plumbed directly to the pump. I knew this wasn't right, as cavitation might occur and I also wanted to be sure the coolant circulated as much as it could so it made sense to use Toyota reservoir, which is already designed this way. But the GM pump inlet nipple was a lot larger than the Toyota's so I had to cut off the nipple and weld on a large one. Finding the right size tubing was difficult, but I was able to find a 3/4" steel u-bend at Columbia River Mandrel Bending in Oregon. I bought two in case I crewed up the first one...

Here's the selection of reservoirs I chose from.

Ultimately I chose an old steel one, that would look appropriate in this truck. So the mods began.

Look at that dinky little mandrel bend. How cute.

I cut the old drain nipple off and cut the new tubing to size, and then rolled a lip on the end to help keep the hose tight and in place. Then I machined a bung to weld to the can which would help support the long nipple hanging off the bottom.

TIG welding with silicon bronze helps ensure a leak free connection.

Finding a place to mount the reservoir was pretty simple, so a bracket was made and welded to the can. Then I welded some flange nuts to the fan shroud so removal and replacement is easy.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Great work a usual. Good motivation to get my butt focused and back to work again. I've been stuck on trying to find a clear effecient path foreward to wrap this thing up.

Great work a usual. Good motivation to get my butt focused and back to work again. I've been stuck on trying to find a clear effecient path foreward to wrap this thing up.

Yeah, get your butt in gear...!

I read an article a few months ago, in one of my classic car magazines I think it was Hemmings), discussing project burn out and how to avoid it. The one thing the author said that made the most sense, was to do something every day. Even if it's just organizing or cleaning, or even just staring at the project. I run into the same problem and that's when I make a to-do list (because I never make on at the start of a job), and start knocking the things off the list. Eventually the list gets short and you get excited to see it done. That's when the motivation comes back.

This thread is a great reminder that you don't know what you don't know. Thank you as always for sharing the how and why behind the scenes.

I used to be a chef, and when servers would come back into the kitchen and ask "how long?", I would simply reply, "when it's ready."

If I built the same cookie-cutter trucks over and over again, it would be possible to know everything up front, but even then, things evolve. One saying I have here in the shop, "no two bumpers shall ever be alike" is a good way of saying that no two jobs should ever be the same. You gotta keep it interesting, for myself and the end user.

Thanks for watching.

Started the disassembly phase yesterday. Now things get to go out to the powder coaters and I get to start on the few mechanical things easier to do with the engine out. A transfer case shifter needs to be designed and built, as well as a trans shifter. We're going to try and use the original FJ62 trans shifter, so I'm not sure how that's going to play out.

Pics soon.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Yeah, get your butt in gear...!

I read an article a few months ago, in one of my classic car magazines I think it was Hemmings), discussing project burn out and how to avoid it. The one thing the author said that made the most sense, was to do something every day. Even if it's just organizing or cleaning, or even just staring at the project. I run into the same problem and that's when I make a to-do list (because I never make on at the start of a job), and start knocking the things off the list. Eventually the list gets short and you get excited to see it done. That's when the motivation comes back.

I agree, making small consistent gains is when I find myself enjoying the building process the most. I don't like thrash fests....

Tonight I finished the rough dress down of the outside corners of the top panel after removing it. I also drilled and installed the rivet nuts for the top panel on the cage.

I am stuck in the phase of the build where all the progress seems small because they are basically details, but the details seem to take the most time.

Cheers.

I agree, making small consistent gains is when I find myself enjoying the building process the most. I don't like thrash fests....

Tonight I finished the rough dress down of the outside corners of the top panel after removing it. I also drilled and installed the rivet nuts for the top panel on the cage.

I am stuck in the phase of the build where all the progress seems small because they are basically details, but the details seem to take the most time.

Cheers.

That roof is one of those things that seems simple, but ends up being a time sucker. Looks great though.

NCFJ

Adventurer
Some auto journalist said that 90% of the build is in the detail work. I would agree 100%.

I would agree as well. Getting the drive line sitting in the chassis where it lives is just the tip of the ice burg. Both in labor and cost of parts. I think that is the biggest mistake most first time "swappers" do is underestimate the amount of expense and time after the drive line is in. It's also part of what keeps it all interesting. I've not done two swaps the same yet.

Keep up the good work!

I would agree as well. Getting the drive line sitting in the chassis where it lives is just the tip of the ice burg. Both in labor and cost of parts. I think that is the biggest mistake most first time "swappers" do is underestimate the amount of expense and time after the drive line is in. It's also part of what keeps it all interesting. I've not done two swaps the same yet.

Keep up the good work!

I was on another forum, replying to someone's question of LS swap advice, and a guy chimed in that he could do it for $3000 plus parts. We got into a debate about the difference between his conversion and mine. It was like two ships passing in the night. I couldn't convince him that "the right way" to do things takes time.

People like that use flex hose for radiators, exhaust parts from NAPA, square tube driveshafts, and probably stick welders too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior