Best way to get hot water? heat exchanger, tankless, tank, etc.

Haraald

Observer
I've been researching for days and can't figure out the best way to get hot water for a shower system in my suv. I've narrowed it down to the following:

1. Tank- 6 or 10 gallon- reliable but take up a lot of space and always have to be running. ~$600

2. Tankless- 2 types, the RV ones like Truma Aquago ($1,500, supposedly very reliable) and the $150 Eccotemp units that are reliable but explode.

3. Heat exchanger- limited info, maybe the best option?

My goal is to have good pressure (2 gpm +) and have the hot shower available any time, without having to exit the vehicle and do a bunch of crap... I built a ventilated shower stall in my suv that I can crouch in. The 30 gallon water tank is also inside the suv. The only storage i have to put a water heater tank or tankless + propane in is a hitchbox that can take 200lbs. My electrical system can't take any unit that uses over 1000w

Thanks for any help!

F350joe

you can get a small propane tank that will give you many showers and won't take up much room, or set up onboard propane under the SUV. If the shower is vented then you can put the eco temp in shower or mount it 0n the inside of a door or hatch that can be opened when showering.

Never heard of an eco temp blowing up but the flame will blow out if too exposed. Heat exchanger will require to run a engine as will anything electric.

I removed my ecotemp from my truck and will be making box to keep it all tidy and together/wind protection, pump runs off a small battery. I have a little pop up shower stall/outhouse that can set up by the truck or behind a tree away from camp.

Hope that helps. Pics of your set up would be nice.

Haraald

Observer
^Thanks. Below are two recorded incidents of Eccotemps exploding lol. I guess I don't mind the risk if the explosion doesn't hurt me while I'm showering inside the vehicle, especially if it saves $1500!

So do you get good GPM with yours and is the temperature reliable? I'm going to get a powerful Shurflo pump from my tank, and will have re-circulating piping to get the water hotter (which as I understand it, will get the Eccotemp's GPM increasing).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyByP4Nf4HE
http://www.justrightbus.com/2014/06/EccotempReview.html

F350joe

Gpm is great if you get a bigger sureflo. I actually went with a smaller pump to force myself, and others, to save water. I used the sureflo on my last rig and it was more than enough power to shower and rinse dishes. The eco temp will burn you if turned up, it gets really hot but the gpm does slow down the hotter you turn it up. I would install without the recirc and see how it does for your liking. Distance to the pump and what not do affect gpm.

Temp is very consistent as long as you keep the wind from blowing out the flame. If it does blow out, just stop the water and it wil fire back up when you start the water flow again, keep some D batteries on you.

I guess they do blow up! I will be putting a little extra care into saftey for now on.

Haraald

Observer
I don't have to have physical access to the Eccotemp each time I shower right? It looks like it automatically turns on when flow is detected and if I have it set on the hottest setting, I can just mix cold water in at the showerhead point?

rickc

Adventurer
Years ago, in an off-road vehicle shop at the Umhlanga mall, Durban, SA, I saw a large (1.2m square?) skinny (6cm?) black plastic water container designed to sit on the roof and get hot. Looks like a good idea but 86l +/- of water on the roof is a lot of weight 86kg/190lb; about the same as a bigger RTT.

RoyJ

Adventurer
I use a Zodi Extreme, the pump-up sprayer version. I find the instant heaters a big wasteful for boondocking.

Back when I had a bus with 200 gallons of water I had an Ecotemp L5. Now with 40 gal on my camper, the Zodi can save quite a bit of water over a few days.

Stryder106

Explorer
I was looking into on-board hot water, but I spoke with a guy who has a Suburban setup for overlanding and has on-board 30 gal tank, heater, and sureflo pump. When I asked him how much water he goes through he said, "Not much, it takes me and my wife the entire weekend to go through the 30 gallons". I was like OMFG!!!! I'll just use the Action Wipes. LOL!!!!

GaJeep94YJ

Why not find a pop-up that's been trashed and pull the 6 gallon propane fueled hot water heater?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles