Can an ARB fridge stay plugged into 12v while running on 110v?

JCDriller

Adventurer
If I have my ARB hard wired to a 12v fuse block and I also plug it into 110V at the same time will it hurt anything? Do I need to unplug the 12v cord?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Auto voltage sensing, no need to unplug it. I leave both of my cords plugged to the back of fridge all the time and just run a drop cord in the window whenever I know I won't be driving for a few days.

It is hard wired to a fuse block and has been for several years.

Chris Boyd

Explorer
Naters is correct. I have my 110v wired to a junction box for shore power. The shore power is also wired to a battery charger that charges my aux battery system. I plug the shore cord in when I'm at home and the fridge senses 110v and switches to that. Bonus is that is seems to cool quicker when on AC, so having it on shore the day before a trip means that the fridge is cold and my batteries are charged!

JCDriller

Adventurer
Naters is correct. I have my 110v wired to a junction box for shore power. The shore power is also wired to a battery charger that charges my aux battery system. I plug the shore cord in when I'm at home and the fridge senses 110v and switches to that. Bonus is that is seems to cool quicker when on AC, so having it on shore the day before a trip means that the fridge is cold and my batteries are charged!

That is exactly what I want to do. I had a NOCO genius mini in my JKU, but I'm thinking about a CTEK unit in my new 4R. I want something that can be mounted and plugged in along with shore power. I'm thinking something like their 25000 or M300, but still need to do more research.

Next Question, if I run an extension cord from my 4runners factory 400w rear DC/AC inverter or an aftermarket inverter and wire it into a junction box that also shares wiring with a 110 shore power plug would it damage the inverter if the inverter was kept off while plugged into shore power? I'm trying to keep it simple and only use one junction box for both shore and onboard inverter.

Last edited:

JPaul

Observer
You're going to want to have a transfer switch wired in to switch between the inverter 110v supply and the shore supply, it's never a good idea to feed them both together. Whether or not it will damage the inverter is something the manufacturer can tell you, but I'd be hesitant to try my luck with it.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94