2017 F-250 Overland/Hunt-Rig build

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Great looking pickup! Not looking at Carli?

Of course, I will be running their radius arms on this truck, but this first stage kit is basically a page holder until Carli gets their 4.5" kit and new track bar finalized and released.

bigskypylot

Explorer
Of course, I will be running their radius arms on this truck, but this first stage kit is basically a page holder until Carli gets their 4.5" kit and new track bar finalized and released.

Ah, that makes sense. I forgot that they are still working on the 2017 stuff. Truck looks great!

eNVe

Tex68W,
If you don't mind me asking, but why did you go with the F250 over the F350? I have been going over the two, and the price difference looked to be about $1200.
Thanks!
Nate

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Tex68W,
If you don't mind me asking, but why did you go with the F250 over the F350? I have been going over the two, and the price difference looked to be about $1200.
Thanks!
Nate

I don't need the extra payload capacity of the F-350. On paper the difference is $1500ish but on the lot the 350's were always $2-4K more.

eNVe

I don't need the extra payload capacity of the F-350. On paper the difference is $1500ish but on the lot the 350's were always $2-4K more.

Thanks for the perspective. It is something I will have to keep in mind as I shop around for a new truck.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Updates coming soon! I got a little backed up on the build with some health concerns in the family and then Hurricane Harvey hit. I'll be posting pics here in the coming weeks hopefully. BTW, the 37's are back in favor!!! Here's a pic towing 17,000 lbs worth of boat and trailer last week before Harvey hit, she towed it like a champ, not sure why I would need a 350 after the way it handled the load. I got 12.8 mpg's according to the truck's computer while towing the boat and averaging 63-65 mph.

wVWediP.jpg

Safely moved out of Harvey's path prior to landfall.

QZLMWGY.jpg

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Nice boat. Is that a fountain or a yellowfin perhaps? Looks like some Verados out back, I've been super impressed with my Verado 250. The truck will track a lot different with 37's. It will feel mushy and have more side to side movement. I think the difference is night and day actually. I went from stock Michelins and 17" steel wheels to 18" wheels and 35" tires and other than looks I prefer towing the other way. My load is 15k. Good luck!!

If you want to enclose the back but are worried about a fiberglass shell you should look into a construction cap as they are normally made out of aluminum. I had one on my F250 that I found one on craigslist for $250. It was in pretty good shape and would have been perfect for a RTT as it had the ladder rack installed on the top already that the RTT could have been attached to. Another benefit to the construction caps is lockable storage on one or both of the sides.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Nice boat. Is that a fountain or a yellowfin perhaps? Looks like some Verados out back, I've been super impressed with my Verado 250. The truck will track a lot different with 37's. It will feel mushy and have more side to side movement. I think the difference is night and day actually. I went from stock Michelins and 17" steel wheels to 18" wheels and 35" tires and other than looks I prefer towing the other way. My load is 15k. Good luck!!

38 Fountain with Triple 275 Verados, it'll probably get a repower in a few years.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Well I paid a visit to the shop today that will be doing the work on my build. We got the lift, wheels, and tires ordered. I went in full and well expecting to go with the BDS 4" radius arm kit with a Fox 2.0 shock upgrade and the external reservoirs in the front mounted with One Up Offroad bits. Turns out there are no 2.0 slick body external reservoirs available at the moment and Fox was saying late October at the earliest. This left me with two options if I wanted to get moving here sooner rather than later. I could down grade to the standard 2.0 slick body Fox's for the time being and upgrade later on when stock had rebounded, or I could step it up a tad and go for the Fox 2.5" coil overs, I chose the coilovers.

I like everything about the kit but I could see possibly upgrading to the Carli adjustable track bar in the future if it's compatible. I would also like to get rid of the brake extension bracket and upgrade to longer stainless steel brake lines instead, that might even come in the next month. I stuck with the 37x12.50R20 Toyo RT's and chose the 20x10 Raceline Clutch wheels in the Bronze Tint color. We are installing the Sulastic shackles in the rear, so here's to hoping that they are a quality product on the 2017. I am pretty excited about the build as I think it'll turn out pretty nicely. The bumpers, winch, racks, lights, etc. will have to wait a few more months for my bank account to recover, Hurricane Harvey did a number on us and I need to recoup some of the money spent on repairs for the storm before I tackle those accessories.

The only thing we are waiting on are the wheels and they are coming direct from Raceline themselves. I'll keeping posting as things change, but as of right now, the plan is to have everything installed by the middle of the week.

Last edited:

TexasSixSeven

Observer
Can't wait to see how it turns out. Hopefully that won't persuade me to go that direction. 2.5" with 37s is the largest I can make fit in my garage.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
Mine won't fit in the garage stock so I figured what the hell lol.

Haha I've got a F-350 CCLB with front and rear bumpers. I've got about 3" of clearance in the front, 1" of clearance in the back (thank goodness for cameras when backing), and currently 1/4" of clearance up top. I can gain an additional 3 1/2" of clearance up top with some work though, which will barely squeeze in some 37s. If my truck didn't stay home all week I wouldn't give a damn about it being in the garage. I'm gone all week for work, and sometimes 2-3 weeks at a time. I like it being parked inside while I'm away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles