2017 F-250 Overland/Hunt-Rig build

Big50

Adventurer
Snapped a few pics over Christmas.

Next mod will be remote controlled air bags in the rear to help with towing and to level out my load while traveling heavy. I'm still torn on the whole hard shell camper vs Leitner rack thing, thoughts?

Truck looks great! Tough call on which way to go for the bed. I went with a softpopper for mine. Main reason I wanted something easily removable...I pulled it off in 2 minutes after the last trip. Given the choice between hard shell and Leitner - I'd go hard shell. Can sleep in the bed, lockable storage, and could still put a RTT on top. The leitner is a great option though and would be less expensive.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I went with the Snugtop Xtra vision and Rhino Rack pioneer platforms on top. Ive been happy with the Snugtop, but I will say that I haven't done any serious offroading with it. I think the biggest pro to the Snugtop is having everything in the back out of the weather. I honestly wish I had gone with the 4.5 Icon not the 7". Live and learn right. I'm looking forward to seeing how your truck turns out. Its cool seeing full size overland rigs and how they go about outfitting them. If you gave Instagram Ive got a page called Foxtrot_Sierra_Overland. Here are some pictures of mine.
ca1QQkK.jpg

jGPpME3.jpg

eFXzqqd.jpg

QoH7Tfq.jpg

OK, I need to see more of this truck.... :drool:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
So I think I have stumbled upon the perfect solution for my bed/rack needs. I've always liked the idea of the Leitner Rack, but the leg supports run to the floor of the bed eliminating a bed cover option which I need for security and out of the weather storage of my luggage and other items when traveling and simply on a daily basis. I fear the hard shell will crack over time and it's most certainly the most fragile option for off-road use. The bed cover swapped for a soft topper when needed is a great and reasonably priced option, but it still doesn't provide me with a place to mount my RTT and I am not sure I want it on the roof of the cab, lots of wind noise.

Nuthouse Industries of Ohio makes an aluminum rack called the Tech 2 Series Expedition Rack, it's very similar to the Leitner yet better in a lot of ways too. It has the option for removable cross bars that sit flush with the top of the rack, not above it, which I think is much better for keeping it below the cab and it leaves no bars sticking out beyond the sides of the rack. In my opinion this provides a cleaner look, less things to snag, and a quieter ride since it tucks behind the cab for more streamlined aerodynamics. They offer all of the side mount options for Leitner accessories (Maxtrax/Rotopax/Storage containers), but the biggest difference is their bed cover solutions. They offer a custom roll-n-lock coil setup that works like a Retrax, they also have removable and fixed hard covers capable of holding hundreds of pounds of static weight, both flush with the bed sides or raised for more clearance for items below like fridges on slides etc.

They offer lighting packages for the rack as well and a 2 ft shelf that rides above the bed for carrying more accessories. I like that it is custom built to spec for my individual truck and individually customizable to my specific needs. It's a bit more than I had told the other half I was planning on spending, but it appears to be the best solution for my needs and not much more than the hard shell/roof rack/bed slide option we were leaning towards prior. I'm not 100% certain this is the route I am going at the moment as it would certainly make my truck 100% committed to the Overland lifestyle 100% of the time, but it also still allows the secured use of my bed and a ready to go platform for my RTT and all of my accessories and gear.

Here's a recent Tech 2 Series Expedition Rack build they did for a Baja UTV chase truck, it spec'd pretty closely to how I'd build mine, less some of the light bars and obviously the crane lol.

hlFb0em.png

Last edited:

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
That's a sweet looking rack. It would fit what I'm looking for, but without the tent platform being removable it makes it impossible for me to use my gooseneck. The more and more I look at these the more I'm leaning towards just pulling my M416 and not bothering with putting the RTT on the truck.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
That's a sweet looking rack. It would fit what I'm looking for, but without the tent platform being removable it makes it impossible for me to use my gooseneck. The more and more I look at these the more I'm leaning towards just pulling my M416 and not bothering with putting the RTT on the truck.

My plan is to use a hitch mounted hydraulic swing boom to mount and dismount my RTT. I'll put it on a furniture dolly and roll it away in the garage for storage.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
My plan is to use a hitch mounted hydraulic swing boom to mount and dismount my RTT. I'll put it on a furniture dolly and roll it away in the garage for storage.

I'm not so much concerned about the mounting and unmounting of the RTT, but the rack itself blocks use of a gooseneck hitch.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Do it! Boy do I love those front and rear bumpers from Rogue....

I've ordered the front, I am going to have it painted to match the Caribou bottom paint. I m torn on the rear bumper, I like to have them match, but the rear Enforcer bumper just isn't doing it for me.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I'm not so much concerned about the mounting and unmounting of the RTT, but the rack itself blocks use of a gooseneck hitch.

True, if you've gotta pull a 5th wheel then you need a roll and lock style bed cover, rack is pretty much out unless you install it every time you need it.

Rippin'AV

Adventurer
That is an amazing truck. Congrats on the progress and thanks for the info on the Nuthouse racks. Those things are incredible. Will need to save some pennies for that, they are pricey but look like excellent craftsmanship and engineering.

Looking forward to seeing your next upgrades for the truck...loving it so far man. Cheers!

RPhil

Adventurer
Truck looks phenomenal and I really dig that rack design.

If I was in the market for a new HD truck, I would be setting it up almost exactly as you are doing. I love these new 2017+ Super Duties.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Thanks fellas, I am doing my best to get this truck together by the summer for a few trips we have planned. I hope to have everything worked out by the time Overland East rolls around so that we can head east and attend along with a few buddies in their 4Runners. I have been working with Tom of Nuthouse Industries over the past few days in regards to getting the right setup for my needs. Once I have the design/options finalized we will get it in queue for a early June delivery and install at Nuthouse when I will already find myself in Ohio for other interests. I am pretty excited about this rack, it's pretty much exactly what I had envisioned from the start, but I had no idea it existed until a few weeks back.

The rear bags, front bumper and winch/lights are next on the list. The only thing holding that back is the build time on the bumper. I hope to have them installed by the end of February but I am at the mercy of Rogue Racing. At the moment we've been focused on finishing out our camp kitchen needs and short of the fridge/freezer and a box to store everything in (leaning towards Trail Kitchens Chuck box or Camp Kitchen setup) we are almost done there.

5HUB

Observer
When I ordered my Enforcer bumper, Nick mentioned something about redesigning the rear to match the front better,
still waiting on my front bumper but I've been meaning to check on the rear progress, was hoping to order one raw and attach a swing away tire carrier. The Warn ascent rear bumper isn't too bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online