2017 F-250 Overland/Hunt-Rig build

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Well I picked up a new 2017 Ford F-250 this week. This will be my third 6.7L PowerStroke Crew Cab FX4 SuperDuty in the last 5 years, needless to say I have been very happy with this platform. I had a 2016 that I was well on my way to building up for an Overland rig but the new truck has more room, more power, lighter weight, larger factory fuel tank (10 gallons more than the previous year), and the back seat can fold completely flat which is ideal for our two Dobermans. I will admit I am a little concerned about the aluminum exterior and all of the extra gadgetry on the redesign but just like anything else we will roll with the punches.

We almost went with a new 200 Series Toyota Land Cruiser but at the end of the day the added cost and lack of space for the dogs when traveling fully loaded pushed us towards the F-250 in the end. The diesel engine and a nearly $17K in savings played a role in our decision as well, not to mention that I do have towing needs around the ranch and for use with my Polaris Ranger for hunting excursions.

What we are starting off with:

2017 Ford F-250 Superduty King Ranch Crew Cab FX4 6.7L Powerstoke V8 diesel 6.75' bed. I opted to go without the 360 cameras and front sensors with adaptive cruise control, we didn't really see a need for the added expense and I had been reading reports that most aftermarket bumpers were having compatibility issues with the system as well. I made sure we had the engine block heater for those colder adventures and the dual-heavy duty alternators for the added loads that our accessories might pull.

Build plans:

As of right now this is what we have set to go on the truck in a few weeks when the parts are in and the shop can fit us in queue.

- BDS 4" Coil-Over Radius Arm kit with Fox shocks and dual steering stabilizer
- Sulastic rear shackles
- Toyo Open Country RT 37x12.50x20
- KMC XD829 Hoss 2 20x9 -12 offset 4.5" back space

In 6-8 weeks when the bumpers are ready we will do stage 2 of the build.

- Rogue Racing Enforcer front and rear bumpers color matched to the bottom Caribou paint
- Warn Zeon 12 S winch with Spydura Pro synthetic rope
- Warrior Hawse Fairlead License plate mount bracket (Stupid two plate state here in Texas)
- Factor55 Flat-Link E and Hawse Fairlead
- Rigid Industries Midnight Edition E-Series Radius 40" recessed in the front bumper, D-Series SAE Compliant fogs in the front inner corner, D-Series Midnight Edition surface mount spots in the front outer corner, D2 Diffused Flush Mount in the rear bumper
- Decked truck bed drawer box (I like the idea of this product but I might scrap this in favor of mounting gear to the interior bedsides if I go the camper route)

I would like a roof top tent (thinking CVT) but I am torn on how to go about executing it. My two options are a Snugtop Xtra-Vision camper shell with a full length roof rack or a Leitner Active Cargo Rack. I like the idea of the fully enclosed bed with the camper shell which will allow for more gear to be stowed more securely and out of the elements as well as provide an extra sleep option for when I am running solo or without the RTT installed. The cons being the fragility of the glass construction, obscured view, added expense at nearly twice the cost of the Leitner Rack before the cost of the needed roof rack, and more difficult access to gear not stowed in the drawers. The Leitner Rack on the other hand provides a place for the RTT when in use, organized mounted locations for gear like RotoPacks, MaxTrax, Shovel/Axe, Awning, etc. It doesn't however, provide enclosed space for additional sleeping provisions or added security to our gear and I am not sure how I feel about the look as I have never seen one on a built SuperDuty.

Eventually we will add provisions for fridge, a rear and/or side annex, outdoor cook/kitchen setup, some exterior camp lighting and possibly even a hot/cold camp shower.

I plan to keep this thread updated as the build develops as well as to keep up with our adventures in the rig. Below is a pic from the day the we brought her home in stock configuration, for now lol.

Last edited:

harv3589

Adventurer
I'm not a ford fan at all but I think they hit a home run with the new design. The aluminum body is a huge plus I'm my books...rust makes me cringe

This will be a good build thread! Following....

Theoretician

Adventurer
Looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

I can advocate for the Leitner Rack. Very happy with mine, which I chose because none of the shells available in the USA came with a 1000lb/250lb static/dynamic load rating and a custom design would have added a zero to the cost.

I share your concerns about cargo security, though. I ended up bolting some roofing panels onto the sides to help with that. A side benefit is that the panels brought my gas mileage from about 16mpg at 70mph to 19.7mpg at 70mph. It was about about 20 before the rack/tent. Looks hokey, but for $200 it is cheap and effective. Add in the bedrug and the roofing panel hatchback and the bed is secure from being the easiest pick, but definitely not water tight.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I've never even heard of the Sulastic shackle! Might have a new part to try out. Thanks.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I've never even heard of the Sulastic shackle! Might have a new part to try out. Thanks.

Oh they are a game changer when it comes to dampening road vibrations, improving rear ride quality, and better handling of your payload.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I think I'll try them when I swap in my softer Carli front springs.

My rear ride isn't bad, but my front springs are the camper springs, and I don't have a slide in camper anymore. Trucks does't lean at all in turns, it's just way too stiff.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
**UPDATE**

Well I changed things up a bit after riding around in a few trucks with 4-6" lifts this past weekend. I found that the truck was just too high for my liking with the 4" lift and 37's, I don't think I'd enjoy crawling in and out of the bed and accessing my gear especially when these new trucks already sit up high enough as it is from the factory. I went ahead and ordered the Carli leveling kit and I will run Cooper STT Pro's in a 295/65/20. I have not yet decided if I will run them on the stock wheels for now or if I will go with the KMC wheels I had previously ordered. I might try them on the factory shoes first and see what I think and go from there. Everything else will stay the same on the build at the moment.

**UPDATE**

Littlehouse

Adventurer
This is going to be an awesome truck. Nice pick on the bumpers, the Rogue Racing extended cab F250 is probably my favorite truck of all time.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
My question from what i have read is. How do you go through 3 f250's 6.7s in 5 years?

I was stacking 35-45K miles a year on them, simply make moves to stay in warranty really. Things have changed in my daily driving needs and this new one will see far less use.

watrboy

Observer
Thoughtful

I like the basis of your build. I run a 2016 Chevy 2500HD, but have 2 2017 F550 in my work fleet and like the trucks so far. Have a 2015 F550 and was impressed with it but like the 2017s even more.

I agree with the leveling kit. They are high enough and will go just about anywhere with good tires and no lift.

I have a 2017 Duramax coming in a 2500HD for my fleet and will see how that looks.

Very nice looking pickup.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
This is going to be an awesome truck. Nice pick on the bumpers, the Rogue Racing extended cab F250 is probably my favorite truck of all time.

I agree, I wish I could get my hands on that grille they made for that truck to house all of the single row Baja Designs light bars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne