Thread: Bad (or loose) knuckle seal on Quigley 4x4 front diff?

Default Bad (or loose) knuckle seal on Quigley 4x4 front diff?

Hello All,

Recently picked up a Quigley 4x4 and although it has been maintained regularly (70K miles) I'm seeing something that could be amiss on the front diff knuckle joint - see photo - looks like the knuckle seal has eather popped out or has split in two? The diagram I have seen shows the seal being much wider than this looks.

It is the same on BOTH sides - coincidence? This rubber-ish "ring" is just kind of dangling there free, although it does stay inward when I don't push on it with my finger - and it looks to have been this was for a LONG time.

Is this normal... or do I have a job ahead of me?

KnuckleSeal.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CactusJackSlade View Post
    Hello All,

Recently picked up a Quigley 4x4 and although it has been maintained regularly (70K miles) I'm seeing something that could be amiss on the front diff knuckle joint - see photo - looks like the knuckle seal has eather popped out or has split in two? The diagram I have seen shows the seal being much wider than this looks.

It is the same on BOTH sides - coincidence? This rubber-ish "ring" is just kind of dangling there free, although it does stay inward when I don't push on it with my finger - and it looks to have been this was for a LONG time.

Is this normal... or do I have a job ahead of me?

KnuckleSeal.jpg
    Since Quigley converts both Chevy and Ford, and you arent providing any further information on the vehicle, Id only be guessing when I say that looks like a typical Dana 60 Ford dust seal.

The oil seals are all the way inboard, directly next to the carrier, and theyre the ones that keep the oil in. Those seals just keep the dust/dirt/water out, and they usually do look like that.

Replacing them involves removing brake caliper/rotor, locking hub, unit hub bearing and the axle (which includes the big vacuum seal on the steering knuckle too)

Quote Originally Posted by another_mike View Post
    Since Quigley converts both Chevy and Ford, and you arent providing any further information on the vehicle, Id only be guessing when I say that looks like a typical Dana 60 Ford dust seal.

The oil seals are all the way inboard, directly next to the carrier, and theyre the ones that keep the oil in. Those seals just keep the dust/dirt/water out, and they usually do look like that.

Replacing them involves removing brake caliper/rotor, locking hub, unit hub bearing and the axle (which includes the big vacuum seal on the steering knuckle too)
    Yeah I talked to Quigley... they confirmed it's the dust seal part and not horribly urgent to get fixed. Thanks for the heads up on what it takes to replace - I did not figure it was an easy job ;-)