2006 100 series cv axel advice

DJ98cobra

Observer
I have been doing a lot of reading on the site and others in reference to cv axels. I'm looking for some advice as land cruisers and ovelanding I'm still new to (less than two years).

I need to fix a cv axel and am wondering if I should replace with OEM or just look to upgrade while I'm already working on it.

From what I have read the OEM replacements are reliable but I don't have any long term experience to rely on and I don't want to keep fixing the same issues.

Similar issue with my transfer case. The seals are pushed out of place but if I find gear damage should I find a used transfer case to replace it with or look to upgrade and rebuild internal gears.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

zimm

Expedition Leader
the originals lasted 170k used hard, the 100 buck made in "who the hell knows land" assemblies lasted 5k before some clicking, one 4 day wheeling trip is what did it, really. The 300 buck oems are back in.

the assemblies are really easy to change out so the experiment was worth it for my curiosity on certain aftermarket parts, unlike lets say a trooper or G front end where labor, not parts, is the biggie.

the results may be classified as anecdotal, but the disparity has been glaring. I don't need to try that again on any make to be convinced. OEM cv's and axles, period.

DJ98cobra

Observer
Thank you everyone for the advice. I was able to find an OEM toyota CV axel for $220. Everything has been installed and is working great. There was still some noise whenever I would coast and then hit the gas. After doing some forward and reverse break torques I realized that the front diff was moving a lot and was actually bang making the noise. After further inspecting I was missing a bottom washer from my diff drop installation which was allowing the diff to move. No one to blame but myself for this one :ugh: Thanks again!

RobRed

Explorer
I'm suspicious of the price... a complete axle assy. (43430-60040) list is 538 each... discounted usually about $375.

$220ea sounds like OE not OEM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94