Ford Transit 4x4 anyone?

Yutahay

Quality build.

Not sure why we don't have quality builds like this available in the U.S. I'd certainly be interested. This should probably be in the full size camper forum.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Sportsmobile doesn't offer a 4x4 conversion of the Ford Transit yet I believe. And the stock van conversion is not as roomy as a true composite camper box on a cut-away van chassis.

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
Quigley has a conversion for the Transit, and it's purchased thru a local Ford dealer or you ship your <60k-mile box to them. I'm sure there are other companies too. The Transit is normally RWD, and is an 'easy' conversion compared to some others. BTW, it can be had with a 3.2L diesel.

I believe the Connect is based on the Kuga (US Escape) and could be converted. The thing I don't understand is why the ecoboost engine is only available in the short WB version. The LWB/passenger only get the 2.5L dog. Why would I want that?

Interesting tidbit... all Connects use to be imported into US as wagons and then the seats removed to create the cargo vans to avoid the 'import truck' tax. US gov't demanded they stop. It's also why we get the Tacoma (built in Tennessee) and not the Hilux, etc.

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
"The Transit is based on the F150"

The Transit van has been produced by Ford in Europe for 50 years. USA production of the European design started in 2015. Beyond the Ford logo, the Transit has very little in common with the F150, then or now.

AWD Transit models are available in Europe. In USA, Quigley modifies the RWD Transit using independent front suspension from a 4x4 F150 and a two speed transfer case from Magna. This may be an "easy" conversion, but Quigley charges as much as they do for other manufacturers' vans, $12-$13k.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles