Thread: eatSleepWoof's 2016 Tacoma DCLB

Quote Originally Posted by eatSleepWoof View Post
    I've been meaning to make some more convenient RAM mounting locations, so yesterday I took off the trim around the vents (the entire thing, including the vents, simply pulls off), mounted some 6mm riv-nuts (used stainless ones, which in hindsight was a mistake, as they'll be a pain to drill out if I ever want to remove them), and then installed matching RAM mount balls with 6mm threads. The longest threads I could find were 5mm which are just barely long enough to catch the threads of the riv-nut (which don't come up all the way to the top), but I was able to tighten them down very well.

All six are mounted 2" apart from each other. All are lined up against the far (dark plastic) edge, but in hindsight I should have lined them up against the gray plastic's edge, as that would have been aesthetically nicer. In any case, the riv-nuts are not visible from either the driver's or passenger's seating position, and you have to really lean in to spot them.

I considered adding a metal bracket/brace at the bottom, but decided it wasn't necessary for the light accessories (inReach & cellphone) I plan to mount here.

If anything, I can always add a metal top-plate and secure it to the riv-nuts, and cut some thread in it for the threaded RAM mounts.

Thatís darned cool...

Did a little cleanup today...

Reversed the door on the dog crate, which allowed me to set it further back towards the rear wall of the cab. This gave the front seats considerably more room, so 6ft+ tall passengers can now sit comfortably in the passenger seat, and have room to move it back further still. The crate's door no longer opens quite as nicely as it did before, but there's still plenty of room for the dog to go in/out. And I also added a third ratcheting strap across the middle of the crate for redundancy and "because why not."

Also moved the two first aid kits from the glovebox to the dog crate. Seems like a nice spot as it's easy to access and out of the way.

On the other side I tied down various recovery straps:

And above the straps, re-attached my solar controller (& bluetooth dongle) to the back wall:

Also stuffed some other stuff into the rear foot wells, behind the crate, some dog towels on top of it, etc. Everything's neat, secure, and easy to access now.
    Build thread.

I don't overland; I hop between Starbucks in search of the perfect soy milk.

Instagram: @eatsleepwoof

I should have my new rear bumper installed in the next few weeks, so I started prepping the new backup lights. Picked up a set of Rigid 20641 flush mounted lights (which were a huge pain to find, as they are out of stock absolutely everywhere and Rigid is really dragging their feet shipping them out to customers), added sleeving overtop of the wires and a quick disconnect connector to each. Tested them out and the light output is pretty crazy for their size. 1000 lumens each. Should be more than enough.

Then I made a little harness. Two matching connectors (one for each of the lights) that join together into a regular 12v 30a automotive relay, which itself gets power from an identical quick disconnect connector. The truck already has compatible connectors hanging under the bed, which are pre-wired into BlueSea fuse boxes in my bed cubbies (details in earlier posts).

All connections are protected by adhesive-lined heat shrink, wires are then covered with loom, and a bunch more adhesive-lined heat shrink keeps things together overtop.

So all that's left is to connect the three quick-disconnect connectors, secure the relay somewhere, and tap the yellow wire into the OEM backup lights.

Here are a few teaser shots of the bumper as it's being made. Sorry that the photos are so small, that's the resolution the fabricator is sending me:

Can you say beefy?!?! Dual jerry cans on the driver's side, spare tire w/ angled Hi-Lift on the passenger's side (note the "base" for the Hi-Lift - nice touch). A FrontRunner fold-down table will be getting mounted somewhere on the swingouts, too. Passenger side swingout has a second receiver for my 1UP USA bike rack. Main bumper has a hitch and cutout for OEM connector, and will have cutouts for the aforementioned backup lights. License plate will go under the jerry cans.
    Build thread.

Dang, That bumper looks sturdy as! Cruisin off-road? Either way, looks legitimate!

Wow bumper looks sexy, I wonder if it could have a twin out there? .

And whomever said to chop those corners, is a smart man. Haha.

That is looking good,I may try to have a welder copy parts of it.
    14 Ram CTD 2500 CCSB 315/70/18 Toyo MT's,A.R.E. DCU

Quote Originally Posted by Blackradon View Post
    Dang, That bumper looks sturdy as! Cruisin off-road? Either way, looks legitimate!
    Yup. Placed the 'order' just before that shop decided to not make bumpers any more. Excited to finally get this beast on the truck. Simply being able to swing-away the bicycles will be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by aaen View Post
    Wow bumper looks sexy, I wonder if it could have a twin out there? .

And whomever said to chop those corners, is a smart man. Haha.
    That dude has his moments
    Build thread.

Crazy moments of brilliance, plagued with severe moments of crziness. Oh and a ****load of gear failures.

Sweet, Good choice! I've always liked going local with parts and accessories when ever possible. Jason is a top notch guy. I've got rock sliders from him! Patiencely waiting for 2nd gen skid plates...

On a different note, how difficult want it to make the platform in the rear of the cab? I was thinking about replacing the smaller section of rear seat with a platform for my fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackradon View Post
    Sweet, Good choice! I've always liked going local with parts and accessories when ever possible. Jason is a top notch guy. I've got rock sliders from him! Patiencely waiting for 2nd gen skid plates...

On a different note, how difficult want it to make the platform in the rear of the cab? I was thinking about replacing the smaller section of rear seat with a platform for my fridge.
    Not hard at all. If I ever move the dog's crate to under the (future) canopy, I'll do exactly the same thing - put two seats back, and leave a platform for the fridge where the single seat was.
    Build thread.

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast