Unimog 404 help?

Nashorn101

Observer
Posted this thread on the Benz Forum - only two people responded. So thought I'd try my luck here!

Been interested in Unimogs for a while, and for as long as I can remember I have wanted to own a military cargo truck of some kind.

I thought about buying a US 2.5 ton or a 5 ton truck - but to me those are just boring, and too big as well. I looked into buying a Unimog 1300L (I asked some questions about a 1300 on this forum a while ago) but I think that truck is also just too big for me as well and too expensive, even though it seems to have much more creature comforts than the 404 offers. So, that brings it down to a 404, an M130 404 to be exact. And yes I thought about a 416 or a 406 - I just don't fancy how they look.

My question is: what are ya'll's thoughts, that you could present to a newbie, about the practicality of owning a 404?

• I have read that out of fear of transmission failure, most owners stop every hour of highway driving to keep the various brass bearings in the transmission from getting too hot; I also have read that if you completely take apart your transmission and clean out all of the cooling channels thoroughly, that this 'transmission failure' gremlin won't be a problem? @HadokaGuy already helped me with some of these questions - thank you sir! However I wanted to get a larger spread of answers.
  • The safe top speed is 50mph (due to transmission heating issues as well as high speed safety factors with MPT's)? Correct?
  • The engine bay is very hard to work in due to the small hood, but the engine is still rather simple to perform maintenance on? Or, if you take out the dash you can access the back of the engine easily?
  • Portal axles on the highway - resulting in foaming oil - is this a true concern? I've read conflicting answers to this.
  • Clearly M180 404's are much more common - however does that mean that M130's are hard to find? And, no I do not want to swap in an M130 from a Benz sedan into an M180 404.
  • Do you LOVE your 404? Or just like it?

• I want this 404 mainly to use like you would use a pickup. Throw stuff in the bed. Haul around stuff. But at the same time, it'd be awesome to take in on some trails, and drive it around town.

I own a 2002 Jeep TJ, so I am used to not being able to have a conversation while driving down the highway, terrible gas mileage, and a low top speed with my 33" tires and measly 3.73 gears. With that being said, a 404 doesn't seem like it would be too foreign to me. I just am not sure if it's TOO slow on the highway and just not meant for the open road?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Simple answer: If you are on a limited budged, don't do it. Driving it around town is like a good workout ... no power steering, clutch... You are correct, working on the engine requires some nice yoga moves.
My concern would be the drivetrain and electrical system.

Cheers,

Nashorn101

Observer
Simple answer: If you are on a limited budged, don't do it. Driving it around town is like a good workout ... no power steering, clutch... You are correct, working on the engine requires some nice yoga moves.

Cheers,

Well $10,000 to $20,000 + plentiful, albeit, expensive 404 parts = really not THAT expensive?

And to me that's fun!

Ok. So engine work is a little tedious?

And what exactly concerns you about those items? Do you mean making sure the portal hubs aren't toast?

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
When it comes to budged, I wasn't thinking about the purchasing price. More like the cost of parts, tires and fuel.
With an old Unimog there is soo much that can go wrong and needs to be replaced. For example: I had to replace the sincro rings in the transmission. For that I needed to remove the cab and camper to be able to take the transmission out. (same goes for the clutch) I actually never did it... I sold it instead...
Don't get me wrong, they are fun to drive but very different to anything else out there.

If it would be me, I would buy a 1300L

Nashorn101

Observer
When it comes to budged, I wasn't thinking about the purchasing price. More like the cost of parts, tires and fuel.
With an old Unimog there is soo much that can go wrong and needs to be replaced. For example: I had to replace the sincro rings in the transmission. For that I needed to remove the cab and camper to be able to take the transmission out. (same goes for the clutch) I actually never did it... I sold it instead...
Don't get me wrong, they are fun to drive but very different to anything else out there.

If it would be me, I would buy a 1300L

Oh my gosh haha wow.

I just imagined everything on the 404 to be simple and easy to work on. I also like it because there's hardly anything on it but an engine and a steering wheel.

I originally wanted a 1300, the thing is so damn big though, it defeats the purpose of me wanting a truck / Mog.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader

Cheers,

It's not hard to drive a 404 around town.

Nashorn101

Observer
Drivetrain can be a handfull if alot is wrong with it. But get one in good shape, maintain it, & it will last longer than you will.
Electrical is dead simple! A 404 is but 1/2 step more advanced than a rototiller.
Worst case scenario, could be rewired in a day.

To me, that's exactly why I want a 404 over a 406, 416, and 435. It seems to be way simpler than even my 2002 Jeep.

I've read that the Swiss troop carriers are more often than not better taken care of than their Budeswehr counterparts. However, a German 404 is the one that I want. I really don't know how to find a good condition 404? Just keep my eye open on German auctions?

Roadkill150

Sounds like several of your replies are from folks who have never owned a 404. I've had two, both for an extended period of time. Both trucks were quite reliable and inexpensive to maintain. The weak points are lack of speed, and if you need to change the clutch or tranny, you have to pull either the cab or the bed.. which is no big deal in a 60's truck. If you keep your speed down, you won't have transmission issues. Parts prices jump through the roof as you get into the bigger mogs.. as does their complexity.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Nashorn101

Observer
Sounds like several of your replies are from folks who have never owned a 404. I've had two, both for an extended period of time. Both trucks were quite reliable and inexpensive to maintain. The weak points are lack of speed, and if you need to change the clutch or tranny, you have to pull either the cab or the bed.. which is no big deal in a 60's truck. If you keep your speed down, you won't have transmission issues. Parts prices jump through the roof as you get into the bigger mogs.. as does their complexity.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thank you for your response my good sir - that seems to be the mixed vibe I get: they are either expensive as hell or cheap. But from looking at prices, they really don't seem expensive? $3,000 for a rebuilt 404 transmission is not a lot. That's about what a transmission for my Jeep costs.

I really don't need a Unimog - however it would be cool as hell. It also would be another truck to restore once I retire and have the time. Hence why, yes, a 1300 doesn't sound like it'd be fun to restore. The simplicity of a 404 appeals to me for this reason.

However, one other question I had is: do you end up smelling like gas after you drive your 404? Or is this just from people driving their 404 with an exhaust leak?

I would drive my 404 about 50/50 between my Jeep, and don't want to smell like gas half of the week.

Nashorn101

Observer
There is a reason for the word "Mogstink".
404s are old and oldschool trucks. Naturally will have old vehicle aroma of grease, rubber & fuel but afterward to smell much like gas?, something is wrong.

That's what I read; after you drive a 404 you smell like you just mowed the lawn.

I personally like the smell of an old truck (everything you just described). I just don't like smelling like gas! So you are saying that I won't smell like gas?

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Drivetrain can be a handfull if alot is wrong with it. But get one in good shape, maintain it, & it will last longer than you will.
Electrical is dead simple! A 404 is but 1/2 step more advanced than a rototiller.
Worst case scenario, could be rewired in a day.

Since it's essentially a street legal tractor this isn't much of a surprise. I can vouch that the cost can add up quick though. And rebuilding one can EAT the time. I've been at mine off and on for years now. Still have the German crate engine in its bag and inside its shipping container.

Some day. Some day.

Bobmog

Observer
If you want a 404 with an M130 instead of an M180 then you want a 404.0 instead of a 404.1. A 404.0 will be very hard to find and if you find one it will be considerably more expensive than a 404.1. An engine swap on a 404.1 will be much cheaper.

Nashorn101

Observer
If you want a 404 with an M130 instead of an M180 then you want a 404.0 instead of a 404.1. A 404.0 will be very hard to find and if you find one it will be considerably more expensive than a 404.1. An engine swap on a 404.1 will be much cheaper.

Well I'm having trouble finding when the M130 (or, 404.1) stopped production? I know people swap in M130's all the time. But I'm a purist. If I could get one of the diesel 404's then I'd be happier than even humanly possible - I bet that's nigh impossible though. So I wanted to try and find a 404.1? Really how hard are they to find?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier