Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Having trouble getting proper insurance for my expedition vehicle. Who do you use?

Default Having trouble getting proper insurance for my expedition vehicle. Who do you use?

Hi all,

I have a 2005 U500 with a custom camper built on the back. it is registered as a motor home. Most insurance carriers are not interested. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Aviva Elite
    1993 Mercedes-Benz 917 AF

try Progressive
    But I just have liability.

Charlie
    Unimog U500 with Unicat camper; diesel BMW X5 35d, diesel BJ40 Landcruiser and diesel M37

Being registered as a motor home isn't the same as being titled as a motor home. The GVWR falling into the commercial category can also be an issue.

It's all based on the VIN. Insurance companies run the VIN to see what their going to cover. If the custom built camper on the back is a DIY effort you'll will be hard pressed to get coverage, it isn't impossible, just problematic. Insurance underwriters have problems assigning a value to DIY builds.

One can buy a $250,000 Earthcruser or an old RV, gut out and rebuild the interior and have no problems sourcing insurance. Do a DIY conversion and no one wants to touch it.

Using an independent agent not tied to a specific insurance company may be your best bet. If the vehicle isn't titled as a motor home, you might try insuring it for what it is, a commercial rated vehicle for personal use. You may have to produce receipts for the DIY conversion to assign a value to the build. You may have to produce inside and outside pictures of the vehicle.
    Last edited by dlh62c; 06-02-2017 at 11:05 AM.

It is actually not a DIY it was built by Phoenix Custom Campers out of Denver. I appreciate the ideas and will get right on the quest.

You may also be able to use "collector car" insurance. You set terms like mileage, value, replacement cost, gap coverage, and one important part of this is that you and the insurance company "agree" on terms, price and coverage or you don't buy it. No surprises. They deal with a lot of custom work and one-of-a-kind vehicles. Maybe an option.

https://www.hagerty.com/Insurance/cl...170602154548:s
    2003 Montero Limited
    3.8L V6 6G75 5 Speed Auto
    Roof Rack, Kumho- AT-51's LT265-75-R16E, Air Lift rear bags, skid plates, rear recovery points added on, modified spare tire holder for larger tires, 2" home made front spacer lift, 30mm rear coil spacer (80 Series Landcruiser Polyurethane spacer from Ironman4x4)

1984 Isuzu Trooper II, LWB, 3 Door, SOLD
    1986 Toyota 4x4, 31-10.5's, SOLD
    1992 Isuzu Trooper 3.2L, SOLD
    1993 S-10 Blazer 4x4 4.3L Vortec SOLD

Hagerty or similar were my thoughts as well
    KE0WND
    2015 Nissan Frontier SV CCLB
    http://forum.expeditionportal.com/th...-SV-Expo-build
    2000 Dodge Dakota QC (gone but not forgotten)
    '00 Dakota

I tried Hagerty. The online quote form kicked me out saying my vehicle did not qualify? I will try to catch someone on the phone Monday.

State Farm for my Fuso. I sent them pics of the rig showing kitchen and bathroom, then sent them links to GXV and Earthcruiser. Pretty much sealed the deal. Gl.
    Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, The moment one commits, then Providence moves too. Things occur to help that no one could have dreamed would have come their way. Whatever you dream , begin it. Boldness has power, and magic in it. Begin it now

We have Hagerty for our classic cars, and they're great. BUT--they require certain things, like an appraisal, and that the vehicle being insured be kept in a covered space (garage, not carport).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast