Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Having trouble getting proper insurance for my expedition vehicle. Who do you use?

We have Hagerty for our classic cars, and they're great. BUT--they require certain things, like an appraisal, and that the vehicle being insured be kept in a covered space (garage, not carport).

Quote Originally Posted by Peneumbra2 View Post
    We have Hagerty for our classic cars, and they're great. BUT--they require certain things, like an appraisal, and that the vehicle being insured be kept in a covered space (garage, not carport).
    I have 6 of my classic cars with Hagerty for stated value. My daily drivers are with State Farm, they wont insure my prototype. Does Hagerty do campers?
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by GR8ADV View Post
    State Farm for my Fuso. I sent them pics of the rig showing kitchen and bathroom, then sent them links to GXV and Earthcruiser. Pretty much sealed the deal. Gl.
    My Fuso is with SF, Good to hear..
    Kevin

I have a 2003 U500 Unimog with a GXV camper and State Farm insured it no problem and good rates

Quote Originally Posted by kranch View Post
    I have a 2003 U500 Unimog with a GXV camper and State Farm insured it no problem and good rates
    True but that camper is from a manufacturer.
    Kevin

Default I have more info to add

I am currently insured with State Farm. My concern is that it is standard commercial vehicle insurance as I use the vehicle for business some of the time. It does not account for the fact that the vehicle has appreciated significantly since purchased and built. It was manufactured by Phoenix Custom Pop Ups, but has been added to and upgraded since. Progressive and most others did not want to touch it because of the combination of commercial and specialty vehicle. I have some new feelers out there and hope I get some where with an independent agent.

Vehicles that appreciate or gain value via added gear should be insured based on a set replacement value not a typical auto insurance. We have always used state farm but we also have sizable leverage having multiple properties and multiple family members via the same agent. As a result they will nearly write any sort of coverage we want. My sailboat appreciated in value as such we had coverage based on a set amount. Which I had upped twice over the 9yrs I had the boat. It sold for exactly what it was insured for. Keep in mind this coverage is not bare bones cheap auto insurance. It costs more! But your loss is minimal if a LuluLemon wearing soccer mom plows into you in her Escalade.

Many multi country trips often end up being self insured at least for portions of the trip due to cost.

Progressive, covers all of Mexico and Canada as well.. most who say Mexico only include border areas

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12