Having trouble getting proper insurance for my expedition vehicle. Who do you use?

bombermog

Hi all,

I have a 2005 U500 with a custom camper built on the back. it is registered as a motor home. Most insurance carriers are not interested. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

dlh62c

Explorer
Being registered as a motor home isn't the same as being titled as a motor home. The GVWR falling into the commercial category can also be an issue.

It's all based on the VIN. Insurance companies run the VIN to see what their going to cover. If the custom built camper on the back is a DIY effort you'll will be hard pressed to get coverage, it isn't impossible, just problematic. Insurance underwriters have problems assigning a value to DIY builds.

One can buy a $250,000 Earthcruser or an old RV, gut out and rebuild the interior and have no problems sourcing insurance. Do a DIY conversion and no one wants to touch it.

Using an independent agent not tied to a specific insurance company may be your best bet. If the vehicle isn't titled as a motor home, you might try insuring it for what it is, a commercial rated vehicle for personal use. You may have to produce receipts for the DIY conversion to assign a value to the build. You may have to produce inside and outside pictures of the vehicle.

Last edited:

bombermog

It is actually not a DIY it was built by Phoenix Custom Campers out of Denver. I appreciate the ideas and will get right on the quest.

bombermog

I tried Hagerty. The online quote form kicked me out saying my vehicle did not qualify? I will try to catch someone on the phone Monday.

GR8ADV

Explorer
State Farm for my Fuso. I sent them pics of the rig showing kitchen and bathroom, then sent them links to GXV and Earthcruiser. Pretty much sealed the deal. Gl.

Peneumbra2

Badger Wrangler
We have Hagerty for our classic cars, and they're great. BUT--they require certain things, like an appraisal, and that the vehicle being insured be kept in a covered space (garage, not carport).

The Artisan

Adventurer
We have Hagerty for our classic cars, and they're great. BUT--they require certain things, like an appraisal, and that the vehicle being insured be kept in a covered space (garage, not carport).

I have 6 of my classic cars with Hagerty for stated value. My daily drivers are with State Farm, they wont insure my prototype. Does Hagerty do campers?
Kevin

kranch

I have a 2003 U500 Unimog with a GXV camper and State Farm insured it no problem and good rates

bombermog

I have more info to add

I am currently insured with State Farm. My concern is that it is standard commercial vehicle insurance as I use the vehicle for business some of the time. It does not account for the fact that the vehicle has appreciated significantly since purchased and built. It was manufactured by Phoenix Custom Pop Ups, but has been added to and upgraded since. Progressive and most others did not want to touch it because of the combination of commercial and specialty vehicle. I have some new feelers out there and hope I get some where with an independent agent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles