Sprinter, Nissan, Ford or Dodge?

maineman

Hi everyone,

We're in need of some advice-- We're stepping up from a Tacoma with a homemade rig on the back and thinking that an all-enclosed extended van would be our next camper. What are your general thoughts on the build quality, longevity, value, etc of these vans? Diesel or gas? We've always had 4wd but only need it for winter travel as we're not hardcore off-roaders.

I really appreciate any guidance that you can provide.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I think that the Ford Transit might be the best value - Sprinter's are expensive to buy and own and service for them is limited. The Dodge's are cheaper - but they are also cheaper built and have limited clearance - especially with the rear axle - but the front wheel drive has some benefits perhaps in icy / snowy conditions. The Nissan is too small of a platform compared to the others.

The only one available with factory 4x4 setup is the Sprinter - but that is changing quickly with several Ford Transit conversions hitting the market.

I seem to see more Ford Transits these days than any of the others, BTW.

4air

I'm a road rep with 2 other guys covering 4 states. We had 3 Sprinters in the fleet and are now down to 1 and 2 newer Ford Transits. I'm driving the Sprinter now and all good but when this one dies we will switch over to all Ford Transits. They are much more economically to get serviced and drive very well. The 4x4 Sprinter is great if you can swing it. Ford Transit is the number one selling van in the world now I heard.

D4782

Observer
As to the comment about the Transit in the snow... They are terrible. I work for an ambulance service in a very rural area. We recently switched from modular Type 1 amublances based on a GM 3500 chassis and 4x4 to the Ford sprinter. It is a common ambulance used in other countries, though not popular at all in my area. The terrible washboard roads were destroying the heavy Type 1 ambulance, especially on air ride and with all the equipment. Switching to a lighter Sprinter/Transit was the idea. The Sprinter had 4x4, but was much more expensive than the 2x4 Transit.

The first run in the snow, on (admittedly slippery) packed snow dirt road on an incline that was barely noticeable it was stuck. A mini van pulled out next to us, and we got stuck in the middle of a packed snow road. This was running M+S Duratracs. We then proceeded to get stuck twice on every call, up to 8 times a call, for the next several shifts until we got the old unit back and ditched the transit. It was horribly incapable on gravel and snow. Unpredictable and unstable on gravel, no traction on snow, terrible ride.

nastav

Adventurer
Thanks.
Are Sprinters believed to be less than reliable?

Depends. Go to the sprinter-source forum for more info.
Our 2014 2wd 4cyl was very reliable over the 36,000 miles we owned it.
Awful, horrible dreadful in the snow. That's the reason we sold it.
4wd sprinter is best value if you require factory 4x4 vs a conversion (like a quigley transit).
Fiat is cheap price and cheap feeling quality.
Nissan is small and ugly, and gets horrible mileage.
Diesel is expensive to maintain but better suited to how these vans are driven and built out.

jmp81sc

I've got a 2014 gas Ram Promaster. 159 inch wheel base tall version. So far no issues in 25,000 miles, averaging 17 mpg in mixed driving.

Not sure if the quality is as good as Ford, but I got it cheap used. I stepped up from a Astro Van and the Promaster has plenty of clearance for where I go. I do go offroad in Baja with it, but not on 4x4 only roads, just rough washboard and rocky.

Technically the Promaster has better clearance than the Ford. Ford shock mounts are really low. Because of no drive shaft the Promaster has the largest interior space with real straight sides, I can stand straight up in mine at 6'1" tall, had to stoop over in the Ford, I can also sleep crossways across the back.

I don't think the quality is as bad as some make them out to be. The good thing about the Ford is the ability to get a 4x4 conversion later if desired, no option in the US for the Promaster.

Good luck with your search. I find this size of van to be perfect for my needs and I think they make a great platform.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
There used to be a lot of threads on this site about Sprinter camper conversions, with lots of build details. Worth reading if you can find them.

A friend of a friend switched about three years ago from an F-350 cabover to a Sprinter, and he loves it.

If an E-350 is large enough inside, I'd look for a Sportsmobile. http://sportsmobile.com/ They also do Sprinter conversions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94