Ambulance recovery. Bought without any details and then road trip across the country.

rlrenz

Explorer
Regarding your AC problem - the system may be low on refrigerant. A very cold AC can happen when the system is low and the evaporator pressure drops. Here's the schematic FYI:

Freightliner AC wiring.jpg

Since the cruise control system is part of the truck's ECM, the ECM may have been reprogrammed. It's possible a wire was clipped, but the switches being left in place suggests that nothing like that was done.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Just west of Nashville. Truck is running great. So well that it has not dropped back a gear while on the interstate anywhere. I think that's impressive considering I have come across the Blue Ridge Trail (not the parkway) and all those hills through Virginia and Tennessee.

The hardest part so far has been resisting the urge to go down and run the Tail Of The Dragon again.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Some more info on the tools/kit I drag along for the recovery.

The tools I forgot about where:
Set of Metrinch wrenches
AC refill adapter.
Adjustable wrench 6" and 10"
Channel locks small set.
A few spare Rok Straps to lash things down and tie cupboard doors shut to stop them banging.
Carpenters rule with standard and metric.
Center punch
Step bits
Heat shrink and solder.

Now since I know you guys only look at the pictures here are some of the kit.

17ff9928227e3f0c0b974728b2e9471b.jpg

43d49cbe9c7a278e0f98b91e592b374a.jpg

be30e74fc4717c558b0c0a57465ed037.jpg

c2bb0a72e8109cba3b2f1aba5be965c7.jpg

067e395cf64d7c95eb1b1f7359bfdfe9.jpg

And for the espresso

9dbbdd87947ec457cabd035007d6d451.jpg

e969a676d3f940e972097da8a510f457.jpg

And last of all on a delicate subject. I am allergic to my own sweat. I think it is natures way of saying I shouldn't work hard. But on doing these hard trips it is difficult to maintain good circulation around the delicate parts of my anatomy. So I use this as a barrier. If it's good enough for a babies butt then it is good enough for me. It is also useful as a barrier cream for your hands if you are doing anything with grease, diesel or diesel oil. Also works really well for keeping the monkey butt at bay when doing long motorcycle trips.

771fd7d069181ea19f748993254121b2.jpg

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Mister I think you were born in the wrong country, but it can be fixed. You just need to relocate to south western Tennessee, tweak the accent a bit, start wearing Levis/Wranglers exclusively along with white wife beater muscle shirts, park two of those three Ambos up on blocks in your overgrown front yard, and pulll your two front middle teeth. Instant American.

:)

patoz

Expedition Leader
Hey, I remember using some of those colored sockets one night! By the way, did you ever get that O2 sensor problem straightened out?

Bevan, that is a pretty comprehensive kit! I knew you carried some tools with you, but didn't realize it was that much. Is that a standard shower curtain ring you have holding all your spanner wrenches together, or one you opened up some to make the wrenches fit better? I use one on mine also, but they bunch up at the narrow end of a standard ring.

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
Mister I think you were born in the wrong country, but it can be fixed. You just need to relocate to south western Tennessee, tweak the accent a bit, start wearing Levis/Wranglers exclusively along with white wife beater muscle shirts, park two of those three Ambos up on blocks in your overgrown front yard, and pulll your two front middle teeth. Instant Redneck American.

:)

You forgot a word there. I fixed it. :elkgrin:

Bevan is turning into the Pied Piper of medium duty ambulances. They just keep following him home. :sombrero:

So...what's the plan for this one? Engine donor for Big Red, or another project?

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Yep this one was "WAS" bought as a potential donor for Big Red. But it is so good so far it would be a shame to part it out. Difficult decisions ahead.

Pat the wrench loop is from harbor (hated) freight. They hold a reasonable amount of wrenches and give you a bit of a workout every time you need to open them. Another thing I have used in the past is the fishing leaders used for ocean fishing. Being flexible they can cover sockets as well as wrenches. I have also seen plastic coated wire rope with screw together ends used but that was a few more $ and I am a tight bugger.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Yesterday was cut short by an unpleasant reaction to gas station grill food. . But I managed 720 miles at 70 mph average and 8.2 mpg. Not too shabby. Today's plan is to get to Hell Paso TX. But I will be stopping at Freightliner to see about the cruise control. Having had multiple surgeries on my right knee including pins left behind it is a torturous experience to keep it in one position for so long. I also need a flat mirror for the drivers side.

My diagnostic software for Freightliner has taken a dump so I cannot analyze it myself and don't fell like taking the time to get software working when I could be covering miles.

I will also get some AC gas and take a quick peek at the AC. It lost airflow again after about 6 hours yesterday so I am suspecting it may be a little low on gas and freezing the evaporator.

0f6a6b92520561aabacea44985e589f1.jpg

Now as for getting to be an American redneck. Being an Aussie redneck I forgo the wife beater for double pocket long sleeve shirts. Best bit is since things started going expeditionish here in the US they are in fashion. 1st time in my life I was ahead of a trend and anything that could be considered to be in fashion. But I still fit the rest of the profile including a few occasions of "hold my beer and watch this". I will pass on the teeth pulling though. Having survived many occasions where someone tried to beat them out I figure they deserve to retire where they are in peace .

Last edited:

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
That is an AC charge adapter. Screw on a little can of R134A and top up the gas. Not exactly a precision tool but every truck I have bought so far has needed a little assistance.

rlrenz

Explorer
You may be affecting the "Balance of nature..."

Medium ambulances have always been native to the east coast, and it looks like you're trying to relocate an entire herd to the Arizona area, one by one.

Best of luck on your trip

Ciao!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94