12 V charger, battery, inverter ?

Crossfaced

Observer
Hope I can explain this properly. I know there's no such thing as a dumb question but I have a feeling this may break the rules.

I have a Battery Tender charger, a battery and an inverter.

My question is... Can I permanentlyhook the Battery Tender(+) and (-) to the corresponding posts on the battery and the (+) and (-) of the inverter to the same corresponding posts of the battery and leave them permanently hooked up?

Ive attached a crude schematic of what I'm trying to do.

I will not be running the inverter while charging and I will not be charging while a load is hooked up to the battery.

IMG_5497.jpg

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Yes.

You could even probably run then both at once. If the battery was low and the inverter tried to draw more than the charger can supply, the voltage will drop and the inverter will shut down.

No worries. Don't forget to use some fuses.

Crossfaced

Observer
Yes.

You could even probably run then both at once. If the battery was low and the inverter tried to draw more than the charger can supply, the voltage will drop and the inverter will shut down.

No worries. Don't forget to use some fuses.
Awesome thanks. I'm not at home but I believe the battery tender and the inverter have fuses, if not I'll add em in.

This is my alternative to a more powerful, less expensive and less bells and whistles to a Goal Zero.

Trestle

Or you can buy an invertor that has a smart charger built in. A battery tender is not going to put much charge into the battery over a trickle. Smart chargers will put more power in when available, then back off when they get to the top of the charge. Aims is one such online that has a charger built in that I have had success with.

Also you could look at something from CTEK. It is a battery to battery charger. Solar in, starter battery to house battery charging, and protects the starter battery from reverse drain. I think it is limited to 20 amps charge stock, but if you want to go real big they have an add on that bumps it up significantly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles