Battleaxe's Trailer Redo

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
Alright, figured I'd start a little build thread for this thing.

My dad bought it off a guy a few years back, and I picked it up off him last spring. It's your standard homebrew trailer, with a single RTT.

Couple pictures from when I picked it up, and the first few outings:
IMG_1189.jpg

IMG_1188.jpg

IMG_1236.JPG

4.jpg

2.jpg
(That's my dad's BJ60. Grew up around those things since I was a little kid, and I'll always have a soft spot for them)
IMG_1195.jpg
13615048_10157209489380457_554763639544490762_n.jpg

Got rid of the Jeep for a 2011 Taco DCLB. Wife and I just had a baby a few months ago, so we definitely needed the extra space.

Plans:

- This thing was built like a brick ****house. I'm cutting off the sheet metal and replacing with 0.64 Aluminum Checkerplate. That should be done this weekend.
- I've sold the RTT, and have ordered a larger one from one of my Dad's contacts. Need the extra space for the ankle biter.
- Pullout drawer for the one side of the trailer
- Edgestar or similar fridge
- Redo the axle or get adapters to run 6 bolt Toyota wheels
- 270° awning
- Lock & Roll Hitch (Using a pintle right now, and I don't think they're legal here... But I've never had an issue)
- Slide/Shock setup to raise the top platform when setup. I'm hoping I won't have any issues with stability if I raise the platform up 20" or so
- Additional frame to the top with a hinge w/shocks to allow opening of the trailer when the tent is closed
- Battery box
- Additional side storage
- Spare tire mount on the rear
-

Really, I'm just polishing it up and allowing for more room.

The one big concern I do have is the trailer tongue length. I think it's ~40" from the front of the tub to the hitch. I've never had any problems with hauling it or stability, but it is quite short.

Thanks for taking a look, I hope to have some updates over the next week or so.

Checkerplate picked up this afternoon, measured and cut to size. Just have to blast the sides out with the plasma, clean it all up, seal it and bolt it all on.
1.jpg

Last edited:

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
Nice looking Tacoma!

I'll look forward to seeing this build!

Thanks! The Taco build will be happening alongside it. But the focus is on the trailer right now, hoping to get out camping in the next couple weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles