Interesting combination CB/public safety scanner on the market

Uniden has released a new CB that also has a very simple public safety scanner built in. It can transmit and recieve on CB frequencies, and recieve only on weather band, and recieve only on public safety both analog and digital trunking systems.

It appears that they are using the digital/analog guts of their flagship 536hp scanner, but limited the user interface to be incredibly simple.

I've got enough radios already, but I can see this as being a nice addition to a setup for someone that isn't interested in investing the time to get a ham liscense.

https://www.uniden.com/automotive/c...earTracker_885_Hybrid_CB_RadioDigital_Scanner

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DhfcbGXHI1c

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Interestingly enough having a scanner in a vehicle that can pick up police is illegal in many places. So this is not exactly a kosher offering I guess you might say.

But since you brought up ham, an amateur radio license exempts you from that at the federal level IIRC. In Kentucky as a ham licensee I'm exempted from that law on the state level as well, I recall looking it up some time ago. I've even read discussions where people were discussing the irony of ham operators being exempt whereas volunteer fireman and such are still subject to the law and can still be punished for violating it. (Even if the police are not programmed in, the radio capable of recieveing is the law, so if they install one to monitor thier station, it would still be illegal.)

While I'm exempt, I wouldn't exactly see it prudent to have the radio monitoring the local sheriff's office with them in earshot though. While you might be in the right you might have a hell of a time getting them to understand that.

So really it doesn't give a heck of a lot of incentive not to get a ham license, just makes it more convenient to break the rules like a lot of other radios do. Although if you will get caught or not is another discussion.

Interesting combination One very interesting function that skirts laws prohibiting radar detectors is the bear tracker function. It is actually listening for active radios near by. It is listening for the RF signal a radio gives off even when not being used but turned on. Now if your a ham or use GMRS FRS this might interfere with that function.

While it would not be a good radio for me since I am a ham and can see others might like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles