Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Grand Expedition Colorado to Alaska to Baja...

Default The Grand Expedition Colorado to Alaska to Baja...

I've been watching threads here but mostly keeping my shenanigans and build thread on Tacoma World. Build Thread

18768261_2295450187346760_4410183917027564098_o.jpg
    Somewhere in Co/Ut/Wy

My 2015 Tacoma Double Cab Short bed will be my Tahoma. I am still accumulating awesome points of interest and places that I cannot miss, as well as hidden gem campsites.

Plan is to leave Colorado, explore Wyoming, Montana, Banff and Jasper and while I'm up in that area, roll up to Inuvik and Alaska. After that, I'll head south to the PNW since I have never been there before. Then I'll either head towards Baja or take the longer route through Idaho, Utah with lots of time in SW Utah, then head to Baja. Six months seems like it would give me enough time to see a bit of the country, no set end date, so we'll see where the trip takes me.

3 Corners (Wyoming, Utah, Colorado)

Suspension/Tires
    King 2.5 extended travel external Reservoir
    Dakar rear leafs with AAL
    Goodyear Durtracs 265/75/16 Load C (tried 235/85/16 KO2's for a week and a half, didnt like them)

Armor
    RCI bolt on sliders
    RCI Front skid (aluminum)
    RCI Trans skid (steel)
    Prinsu roof racks

Lighting
    42" LED bar at the front Wired to hi-beam switch.
    7" LED bars on each side of the roof rack
    Amazon rock lights under the truck
    Extra amazon rock lights for in bed lighting
    5" Hella 500FF with 55w hids in grill

Communication/Navigation
    Baofeng Handheld HAMs with 12v adapter and extended mic/speaker
    Browning Ham antenna on custom folding mount
    TechDeck HD with Asus Zenpad tablet
    Cobra 75 CB

Electrical
    Group 31 AGM Battery
    Blue sea fuse box under hood
    Renogy 100w solar panel
    Blue Sea aux fuse box in bed
    80a re-settable breaker
    Iggy switch plate for in front of shifter

On the road comforts
    12-gallon on board water
    Puma PD-1006 on board air
    Indel-B 51L Fridge, modified hinges
    Platform in bed
    Sleeping platform inside cab
    400w anytime mod, additional outlet in the back of the center console.
    In channel Vent visors
    ARE Topper
    Husky front floor mats, worth more than every penny
    Eccotemp water heater
    SHURflo water pump (so quiet compared to my other pump for the on board water)

Interior
    Fire Extinguisher mounted to seat brackets (ones with metal handles can be refilled/re certified where the plastic topped ones cannot)
    Coverking Neosupreme covers... falling apart AGAIN. Need to get Wet Okoles
    Cargo Net on rear ceiling of cab and topper
    Bug nets for windows/ventilation

Recovery/Tools
    Plano 36" and Plano 42" boxes
    USOffroad Hidden winch mount
    Smittybilt x20 10k winch/synthetic line
    Hi lift
    Straps
    Maxtrax
    USB Borescope
    Last edited by aero; 07-10-2017 at 05:54 AM.
    Instagram @ aero3685

2015 Tacoma DCSB OR
    ---------------------
    1998 XJ
    2002 Tahoe
    2005 Silverado
    2002 4runner
    1997 XJ
    1998 XJ

Camp Locations so far:
    Pike and San Isabel NF, CO
    Medicine Bow-Routt NF, CO and WY
    Arapaho NF, CO
    Medicine Bow NF, WY
    Great Divide Basin, WY
    Bridger Teton NF, WY

Potential stops
    Yellowstone
    White Mountains
    Big Spring Scenic Backway
    Beartooth Highway
    Bomber mountain plane wreckage
    Magruder
    Lulu Pass (Cooke City)
    Sun Light Basin (Cooke City)
    Squaretop Mountain
    Lower Falls Yellowstone
    Pryor Mountain wild horse sanctuary

If youwant mountains and pretty views than keep going west throught Butte, missoula, up to flathead. then around the lake to Kalispell

Mt robson park

Pryor Mountains (MT)
    Glacier
    Banff
    Jasper np
    Inuvik
    Prudhoe Bay
    Pacific NW
    Ferry to islands
    Redwoods
    Baja
    Zion
    Bryce
    Escalante
    Grand Canyon
    .... Any must see suggestions, post them up!
    Last edited by aero; 07-10-2017 at 05:57 AM.
    Instagram @ aero3685

2015 Tacoma DCSB OR
    ---------------------
    1998 XJ
    2002 Tahoe
    2005 Silverado
    2002 4runner
    1997 XJ
    1998 XJ

I am heading to Alaska beginning July 1, but only have 30 days. I'll keep an eye out for you. I'm driving a silver 4Runner with black James Barroud on top, CBI rear bumper.

Subscribed for further updates.

Looking forward to following this post. Very envious actually. Good luck, and post a lot of pictures and posts.

Quote Originally Posted by taco007 View Post
    I am heading to Alaska beginning July 1, but only have 30 days. I'll keep an eye out for you. I'm driving a silver 4Runner with black James Barroud on top, CBI rear bumper.

Subscribed for further updates.
    Awesome! I still need to nail down my route since I have to catch a flight down to LA from somewhere along the way. So I may not head into Canada until the second week of August. After I get a chance to look up flights then I'll know better.

Quote Originally Posted by jlbstock65 View Post
    Looking forward to following this post. Very envious actually. Good luck, and post a lot of pictures and posts.
    Thanks, there will be plenty of pictures. I love taking pictures and now I'll have time to stop every time I see something picture worthy. And I picked up a Mavic Pro for some aerial photography. It is able to follow the vehicle, so I'm stoked to try that out.

I realized that the Morrison Jeep trail is on my way, going to have to hit that up while in the area!

On an extended Memorial Day weekend trip, took it out with a bunch of friends for a lot of time off pavement (at least 500 miles, likely closer to 600). Crossed back and forth over the CO/UT/WY borders 10 times over the trip. Got some good pictures of the trip. Truck worked well, and my sleeping area in the cab was so nice. We were driving most of the day and would get into camp a bit later, while everyone was setting up tents and RTT's.. I was just hanging out since my sleeping area was done. I only plan to use it for late night arrivals, bad weather, but needed to test it out.

3 Corners

Dinosaur National Monument, on the Yampa Bench looking over the Yampa River

Echo Park campground in Dinosaur National Monument

The climb out from Echo Park CG

Northeast Utah

Somewhere in CO or UT

Best part of the pictures... they were all taken with a cell phone. Very impressed with my LG G5 camera. My 'big boy camera' had a new wide angle lens for the trip and the cell phone did such a good job that I didn't use the actual camera, and returned the lens.

those are great pics, cell phone or not
    Thanks for taking us along and extra thanks for taking the time to post
    keep the good stuff coming
    cigar smoking, wilderness first responding, ham talking night nurse who is overland certified and a fellow of the Royal Geographical Society.....
    now everyone say "so what where have you been lately?"

15 days until departure!

Been last minute prepping stuff for the trip. The stock seat in the Tacoma is good for regular driving, but distance driving, its not so great. I picked up a Recaro seat, waiting on the bracket and a seat heater now. I picked up the same seat heater I had in my stock ones so it'll just plug right in.

I also ordered a quilt/sleeping bag from Enlightened Equipment, I already have one bag, but wanted to try out a quilt since I roll around a lot when sleeping.

Garage sale tomorrow to get rid of a bunch of stuff, the rest will be donated! Its amazing how much junk we can amass when we have the room to. So much stuff I hardly used, or haven't used in years. It'll be really nice to get back to a clean slate of only stuff I need. I have a feeling I'll be packing a lot of extra clothes and whittle it down to what I actually use while on the road.

I think the biggest thing I will be modifying/adjusting while on the road is my eating/food prep and storage. I like to eat often, and I like healthy stuff and it is certainly going to be a jump in with both feet and wing it situation as far as that goes. I just added a second cargo net for the ceiling of the topper and that'll likely be where I'll store things like chips and bread that i dont want to be crushed, thats the idea at least. I picked up some tortillas thinking I wanted to figure out how to use those for most 'sandwich' meals since they take up less room and are more forgiving on the road. Havent tried a PB&J on one yet, but it cant be that bad, can it?

I'm still ... teetering on the idea of snagging a King suspension. Its a lot of money, but it would be nice for all the offroad. I currently am running OME stuff on stock UCAs (bilsteins in the rear), but adjustability would be nice. Theres also possibilities of something to replace the rear half of the truck in the near future... We'll see!
    Instagram @ aero3685

2015 Tacoma DCSB OR
    ---------------------
    1998 XJ
    2002 Tahoe
    2005 Silverado
    2002 4runner
    1997 XJ
    1998 XJ

Lots of stuff sold/donated over the weekend. Feels awesome!

Installed some extended rear brake lines today. More of a "just because" item. Stock work but were tight, so I just wanted to go ahead with it.

12 days left. Time to do a bit of organizing with bins and see how much room I'm really going to have and what extra stuff I'll need to get rid of.
    Instagram @ aero3685

2015 Tacoma DCSB OR
    ---------------------
    1998 XJ
    2002 Tahoe
    2005 Silverado
    2002 4runner
    1997 XJ
    1998 XJ

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Lots of stuff sold/donated over the weekend. Feels awesome!

Installed some extended rear brake lines today. More of a "just because" item. Stock work but were tight, so I just wanted to go ahead with it.

12 days left. Time to do a bit of organizing with bins and see how much room I'm really going to have and what extra stuff I'll need to get rid of.
    Thats awesome man, good luck with everything, nice truck/build. I remember that feeling of selling everything as well, I've never looked back!

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast