The Grand Expedition Colorado to Alaska to Baja...

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Love the pics and reports. You recently reported you didn't want to go into Prudhoe bay because that would support the oil companies?

aero

Adventurer
Love the pics and reports. You recently reported you didn't want to go into Prudhoe bay because that would support the oil companies?

I know they are plenty supported by this trip... Since Tesla didn't want to lend me anything. But I wasn't about to schedule in advance (didn't know about until I heard someone talking about it) and pay them to drive me a few minutes...I was close enough!

73datsun

Cool trip. I did much of this on a motorcycle a few years ago. I've been back to alaska every year since. Lot's of fun places. Not sure of your full route, but as you head south, hop on the ferry in Haines and take it to Skagway.

Haines is awesome as the area is one of the highest concentrations of eagles and has a good brewery. Skagway is a cruise town, but this time of year should be quiet. As you drive north out of town, you're in for a beautiful drive. As you get to the Yukon to head east and then south, you'll likely go through Taggish. Stop at Six Mile River Resort. Fantastic food: https://www.sixmileriverresort.com/

Hyder AK and Stewart BC are worth a detour too. Cool town.

And those salmon you posted (great pics by the way) are Chum, supper haggard looking. Too late to see the Reds/sockeye, those are the most incredible transition to spawn/death. Go from silver to green head and bright red body.

aero

Adventurer
Got it. I enjoy the way you've done this trip. One other question did it get stinky in cab since you slept in it also?

Not that I notice... I try to keep it and myself pretty clean unlike the outside of the truck. The bedding is regularly washed.

aero

Adventurer
Cool trip. I did much of this on a motorcycle a few years ago. I've been back to alaska every year since. Lot's of fun places. Not sure of your full route, but as you head south, hop on the ferry in Haines and take it to Skagway.

Haines is awesome as the area is one of the highest concentrations of eagles and has a good brewery. Skagway is a cruise town, but this time of year should be quiet. As you drive north out of town, you're in for a beautiful drive. As you get to the Yukon to head east and then south, you'll likely go through Taggish. Stop at Six Mile River Resort. Fantastic food: https://www.sixmileriverresort.com/

Hyder AK and Stewart BC are worth a detour too. Cool town.

And those salmon you posted (great pics by the way) are Chum, supper haggard looking. Too late to see the Reds/sockeye, those are the most incredible transition to spawn/death. Go from silver to green head and bright red body.

I am already in the Vancouver area, just looked up Stewart and that was pretty close to where I drove. Wish i would've swung by but I guess I'll have stuff to do next time! I was just in the drive mode since I didn't have anything already marked on the route. I also had pretty much zero cell phone service on that section so I wasn't able to pull information up like I was hoping to.

I did see a few of the red salmon, they have really cool colors! But the majority I saw were all the silver'ish ones.

aero

Adventurer
After a couple weeks in Alaska, most of that being overcast and rainy, I wanted to get back to seeing the sunshine. There was an “early fall storm” scheduled to arrive that had the 10-day forecast with nothing but rain. With that in mind, I was ready to leave a few destinations unchecked in Alaska and soak in the sun in Canada.

Of course, it was sunny the day I decided to head out. I had a nice lunch spot along the river.

20904171616_HDR copy by Brandon M, on Flickr

I didn't have much on my list of things to see along the coast of Canada since I hit most of it on the way up. And the round trip driving out to the coast was a long way (4-6 hours) just to see the beach. I wanted to see the Mendenhall Glacier Ice Cave, but the bad weather had me thinking that the cave might not be the beautiful blue color if there was no sun to light it up along with no guarantee that you could actually get into the cave since the entrance sometimes collapses during summer after the long hike in the rain to the entrance. Being that the ferry ride cost half of the price of a plane ticket to Iceland that is full of ice caves sealed the deal that I would just see them there instead.

I knew I was going to have a long… tiring drive down to the Vancouver area where I wanted to do some climbing in Squamish, the outdoor capital of Canada. Knowing it was going to suck either way I decided to just make a few long days of driving to get down there where I could then hang out for a little while. I traded the rain for slightly smokey skies, but at least there was sun!

20907171303b_HDR copy by Brandon M, on Flickr

20907171422a_HDR copy by Brandon M, on Flickr

But after a few days of driving, I made it to Squamish/Vancouver which would be my home for a little while. I explored the rainforests, and bought some climbing gear for my first experience of climbing outdoors. It was fun and I enjoyed it even though my fingers got a real good workout.

20910171150a_HDR copy by Brandon M, on Flickr

221640460_10208659451157850_1901958716_o copy by Brandon M, on Flickr

The skies were mostly clear again, which made for great views all around.

20911171121a_HDR copy by Brandon M, on Flickr

More Climbing

20912171722c_HDR copy by Brandon M, on Flickr

20913171900_HDR copy by Brandon M, on Flickr

aero

Adventurer
When it was time to take a little break from climbing, I rented a mountain bike to tear up some trails. I should've taken a hint when the rental guy said “there's really no flowy trails around here”. It was a rough day of hike-a-bike on mostly technical trails. I connected a ton of trails that all seemed to go up, and the only downhill section I scored that day was on the pavement heading back to the bike shop. I am a fan of technical trails in the Colorado sense… this area was completely different.

20914171258a_HDR copy by Brandon M, on Flickr

So I finished up my day of biking with more biking around Stanley Park which is on the northwest side of Vancouver followed by exploring Vancouver a little.

20918171206c_HDR copy by Brandon M, on Flickr

And then to Vancouver Island. It was my first time being on a vehicle ferry. It was at night, so there was not much to see, but there were tons of lights on Vancouver Island.. This place looked like it was going to be bigger than I expected, and more people.

The first sight to see was the goats on the roof in Coombs. They live on top of this general store/restaurant.

2DSC05952 (2) copy by Brandon M, on Flickr

I made it to the west coast/Pacific Ocean and did quite a bit of exploring the beaches. The beaches near Tofino are very popular with surfers. All of the beaches were a bit different from each other but the one thing they had in common was signs that the tide changes were huge! The distance of beach as well as the height that the water changes between low and high tide was impressive.

20919171130a_HDR copy by Brandon M, on Flickr

20919171802a_HDR copy by Brandon M, on Flickr

20919171851_HDR copy by Brandon M, on Flickr

There is a plane crash hike near Tofino that I almost decided not to do because of the description. The hike is an unofficial trail only marked at points by string, some random signs and orange flags as it cuts through dense marshy areas. It also warned that people often get lost in the dense forest and end up needing search and rescue to find them. The information I found online said to bring good rain boots and prepare to get really muddy (which I wasn't overly excited about).

I loaded up my pack with essentials, walked out to the main road, and counted out 15 telephone poles to where there was a path into the woods. The hike was less muddy than I expected but I took my time balancing on dead trees and stumps to avoid the mud pits. Many times I sunk my hiking poles halfway into the mud without any effort. Which would have swallowed most boots other than waders.

But I made it to the plane crash which was a cool site. The site is of a Royal Canadian Air Force Canso 11007 that crashed just after takeoff in February of 1945. The plane had 12 crew memebers on board as well as a full tank of fuel and four 100-kilogram depth charges on board. The plane lost a port engine and began to fall. The pilot stalled the plane and was able to slow it before it crashed into the side of the mountain. His quick thinking saved all 12 crew members even though looking at the wreckage, it was a miracle. They were rescued 11 hours after the crash and the bombs that were still attached to the plane were moved away from the wreckage and detonated. You walk past the circle crater that is left from the explosion.

20919171405a_HDR copy by Brandon M, on Flickr

20919171840_HDR copy by Brandon M, on Flickr

2DSC05870 copy by Brandon M, on Flickr

Saw a nice waterfall that was etched through the rocks along the highway. I had to pull over and take a little rest there.

20920171357a_HDR copy by Brandon M, on Flickr

I didn't see many animals while driving around, but I stopped along the road to figure out where my next stop was. I looked up and there were some bears walking up and down the river. They didn't seem to be on any particular mission, just meandering. There were four of them and at least two sea lions that were playing with the fish they caught.

2DSC05911 copy by Brandon M, on Flickr

All of the beaches were very nice and all were pretty different from each other.

220-09-2017 01.53.13 copy by Brandon M, on Flickr

aero

Adventurer
Yeah but I spent the day in the office!

But did anyone bring donuts?

Another great day of climbing in the books. Yesterday we rappelled down to the water of Howe Sound which was speckled with jellyfish and climbed back up, pretty neat. 4 climbs today in the second half of the day followed by a campfire and good company.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
But did anyone bring donuts?.

Earlier this week, yes. Plus tomorrow is Hot Dog Day. I've got a hot dog roller that cooks a pack at a time. We typically go through 40-50 hot dogs. We make the whole floor smell like a 7-11. It's pretty awesome.

aero

Adventurer
Earlier this week, yes. Plus tomorrow is Hot Dog Day. I've got a hot dog roller that cooks a pack at a time. We typically go through 40-50 hot dogs. We make the whole floor smell like a 7-11. It's pretty awesome.

Awesome, that works!

aero

Adventurer
Win a Cairn Box!

Should've done this earlier in the season, but better late than never. Lets get trails cleaned up before the snow gets here this season and covers up the garbage.

What: Over the next three weekends, when you are on the trails, hiking, biking, offroading, climbing, etc, pick up some trash that some dirtbag left behind. On Tuesday, October 24th I'll randomly select two winners to receive a single Cairn Box, @getcairn with neat outdoor gear.

How: Post the picture of the cleanup on Instagram with the three following rules:
1. Location
2. The hashtag #Cleantrails2017
3. Follow me on Instagram @ aero3685

Each user will receive a single entry but multiple cleanups/posts are always welcome!

When: Before Tuesday, October 24th 2017. I'll randomly select two winners and contact you through IG for shipping address.

Why: Because trails are much more enjoyable when you arent driving past plastic bottles, shotgun shells, and spare tires. And when its already clean, the problem children might think twice about leaving garbage behind next time. Garbage is one reason why trails get shut down for all users. Shout out to a great local small business Odin Designs @odindesigns and odindesigns.com who does contests like this to keep trails open...and inspired this.

Who: Anyone with an Instagram account and who lives in the US or Canada.

Last edited:

unkamonkey

Explorer
Aero, I hope it works. My family and friends have always picked up trash wherever we are. I packed up a entire 3B with trash out in the fields. I didn't think it was too picture worthy so...

aero

Adventurer
Aero, I hope it works. My family and friends have always picked up trash wherever we are. I packed up a entire 3B with trash out in the fields. I didn't think it was too picture worthy so...

Thanks. Just figured it might get one or two more people to do it every time they go out...

I drove into a nice camp spot at night and woke up to shotgun shells, rope, plastic bottles, etc which made me think about trying to get others to help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94