Gen 2.5 Front Diff Swap Question

Atrais

Adventurer
Okay, so I searched and read Eurosonic's thread (among others) but couldn't get a solid answer. If I swap the entire diff from a Montero Sport (4.9 gears) into my gen 2.5 by transferring the mounts over, will I lose the ability to shift from 2wd to 4h on the fly? I know the lights will blink (due to the lack of a sensor) but if I want to go from 2wd to 4h, is a complete stop, N, shift thing? Am I forced to go manual hubs?

plh

Explorer
Yes /no. Manual hubs best option. But not entirely needed. If you don't use manual hubs all the axles and stuff will be spinning all the time.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
You lose nothing but shift on the fly will only work with hubs engaged in LOCK position.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I would definately get manual hubs as you'll be turning 2 axles, a differential, a driveshaft, front output and front output chain all the time. Or you might as well just leave it in AWD because if you're getting the wear and MPG of AWD you might as well get the benifits of being in AWD. There is nothing wrong with being in AWD all the time either, the Montero is perfectly happy doing 100mph in AWD. I prefer manual hubs though obviously.

plh

Explorer
I would definately get manual hubs as you'll be turning 2 axles, a differential, a driveshaft, front output and front output chain all the time. Or you might as well just leave it in AWD because if you're getting the wear and MPG of AWD you might as well get the benifits of being in AWD. There is nothing wrong with being in AWD all the time either, the Montero is perfectly happy doing 100mph in AWD. I prefer manual hubs though obviously.

agreed

Atrais

Adventurer
Thanks guys. Just looking at swapping the entire front diff so I can limit downtime. Don't mind getting manual hubs either and I'm pretty sure I could rig up a position switch to keep the lights from flashing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94