SMB Rear Recovery

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Ok, so i just noticed something silly about our SMB we just bought. No rear recovery? Aluminess builds recovery points in the way of shackles upfront on their bumper.. but i dont see anything on the rear. To me the rear is just as important as the front. Don't tell me people are putting those little Warn 2" receiver shackles in their hitch? Those are only rated for 4.75 tons.

What are you guys using for recovery on the rear of your vans?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Doesn't the front bumper use 3/4" bow shackles? Those are rated for 9,500 lbs, so I guess I don't see the difference. Unless they are 7/8", in which case they would be 12,000 lbs.

Last edited:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Nope, the front bumper uses the big boy 6.75 shackles... here see the comparison between the 4.75 and the SMB ones in this pic..

842d93850c94cd23c74020745e7529a4.jpg

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Up till now, I've always used the receiver shackle mount. Actually only used it once. My new bumper has two shackle mounts, one @ each frame rail. I'll have pics soon, all the new parts are @ the powder coater. ;)

Blackeye

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0008
SOCALFJ said:
What are you guys using for recovery on the rear of your vans?

While I haven't had the opportunity to pull or be pulled with it on the SMB, I am using the SUPERWINCH Receiver Shackle Bracket. https://www.expeditionexchange.com/recoverygear/
I think that it is the best you'll find short of the bolt-on shackle mounting brackets. Things are serious if we need the full 12K. I'm hoping it will be helpful for "assisting" someone else, not a fully suspended recovery.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Apparently Aluniness will send you d-shackle mounts if you request them.
69353d13ea6deaf782ad9cd7495aa99f.jpg

I'll find out more info ASAP.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94