Plumbing black tank with macerating toilet

adam88

Explorer
I was wondering if anyone has any advice on the best way to plumb a macerating toilet.

On my camper design, due to the fact that I cannot use a gravity feed toilet (think: traditional RV black tank) I am going to be using a Raritan macerating toilet. This will pump everything into a black tank. This toilet will be the only thing going into this black tank. It has a one-way check valve on it obviously so nothing that goes into the black tank can come back into the toilet.

My question is - I don't really want to cut a hole in the roof to put a vent up to it. Can I put a vent in the side of the camper? The vent would exit the top of the black tank, then bend after about 3 inches and exit directly out the side. Is there a reason this wouldn't work? Basically, I want to figure out how to vent the black tank without cutting holes in the roof, any advice would be appreciated.

Oh I should mention, I do want to hook up the gray water tank to the black tank (with a one way valve) so I can send water from the gray tank to the black tank to flush it out. Thanks a lot.

java

Expedition Leader
Side vent works fine. Not quite as efficient. I will second that you want it higher up!

You can see mine right at the top back corner.

34370444765_e1531132c9_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles