Apple WWDC 2017 Announcement Discussions

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Well, I am pretty disappointed with today's unveiling of.......minor improvements.

No iPhone 8 (yet)
No MacPro
MacBookAir gets a speed bump only
MacBookPro does not get any useful prosumer features, ports, or expandability
iPad Pro gets a normal size little brother, with 500GB. Useful to some, I suppose. Still charge $100 more for the Pencil

Only thing that mildly interested me is the ability to use Apple TV to stream Amazon Prime, finally!
AirPlay 2 is interesting, but I just want it to work with less lag and instability than AirPlay 1! I don't care about multi-room control.
The Hey Siri speaker seems like a rip-off at $349. I think $199 is the right price point to gain any traction on that thing.

I didn't really catch anything significantly useful in the "fully baked" High Sierra OS over the current version. Did I miss anything there?
21561-24786-highsierra-top-l.jpg

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Okay, I guess I was somewhat wrong on the Mac Pro.....They did release one, sort of. It just wasn't what I was expecting. An iMac Pro is hardly the expandable, reconfigurable, updatable power computer I was looking for. It's just a rev'd up iMac, for $5,0000. Yikes. That's a lot of coin for a disposable computer.
https://www.apple.com/imac-pro/

new_2017_imac-pro_full.jpg.og.jpg

OCD Overland

Explorer
I thought it was all just about as expected. iPhones are always in the fall and the Mac Pro they've already said wouldn't be until next year. The MacBooks are new anyway so no one expected them to get anything but a speed bump. The iMac Pro was completely unexpected so it's hard to complain about. I'm surprised that they bumped the MacBook Air at all. I had assumed that product line had about run it's course.

The HomePod is interesting. If it sounds as good as they claim, it would make for a good kitchen speaker for us. We were going to spend the same on some Sonos speakers so I might wait at least until the reviews come out to decide.

I'm glad they're finally doing another bug fix/speed release on MacOS. They haven't done that in a while and it's badly needed IMO. The new iOS features look pretty cool - maybe it will give the iPad sales a boost.

So to me, it was a good keynote, though I have to say that from a hardware perspective it was the one that they should have given last fall.

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Read about the updated iPad Pro models here
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2017...st-advanced-display-breakthrough-performance/

key features:
Current model with 9.7 inch screen replaced with 10.5 inch screen, same external dimensions and weight
10.5 inch screen has 2224x1668 pixels, more than 9.7 inch model, while retaining the same 264ppi pixel density

12.9 inch model screen upgraded to the wider color gamut of the 9.7 and 10.5 models
both models get faster screen refresh rates
both models get A10x Fusion processor (30% faster processor, 40% faster graphics co-processor than the A9x)
both models receive the 12 megapixel camera used in the iPhone 7, including optical image stabilization

both new iPad Pros ship with iOS 10, and will gain new features when iOS 11 ships this Fall.

Orders for the new iPad Pro models may be placed at Apple.com now. Delivery starts next week.

The iPad Pro 10.5 starts at $649, $50 more that the iPad Pro 9.7 it replaces.
iPad Pro starts at 64GB of storage. 256GB and 512GB storage optional.

The iPad Pro 12.9 starts at $799, with 64GB. Same options.

As always, if you want GPS capability, you have to buy the WiFi + Cellular model for $130 more.

Apple Pencil, a $99 accessory, seems to be unchanged. The faster screen refresh rate will reduce pencil latency

Full disclosure: I use an iPad Pro 9.7 every day. I am totally enamored with its wide color gamut and overall speed. For my uses, the iPad Pro is a laptop replacement, although I still use my desktop Mac too.

haven

Expedition Leader
The 12.9 inch iPad Pro weighs about a half-pound (210 g) more than the 10.5 inch model. Its larger screen has 50% more pixels than its smaller cousin. The first generation 12.9 inch model had more RAM and a slightly higher processor clock speed to push all those pixels around. I'm guessing the second generation 12.9 has similar advantages.

The extra RAM also helps to run multiple apps simultaneously. Splitting the screen so you can see two apps simultaneously is more practical on the 12.9's big screen. IOS 11 is supposed to improve the ability to cut and paste between running apps.

I use my iPad Pro 9.7 in landscape mode most often. The 12.9 model in landscape mode is 2.2 inches wider and almost 2 inches taller, so it may not fit on my lap as comfortably. Decisions, decisions.

Today I see $100 discounts on the older iPad Pro 9.7. The 9.7 inch model has most of the screen technology of the 10.5 inch model, albeit with a slower processor and less capable camera.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Its been the exact same thing year after year...there has been nothing truly new from apple since SJ. I own an iPhone and ipad and a MacBook. My MacBook is older but it's exactly the same as the new ones in terms of true features...the touchbar is a hokey gimmick, the imac pro is a way overpriced piece. I am digging the ipad pros, but really.....they are just big ipads. IF mac ever releases a true touchscreen mac, I may just jump ship, but until then I love touchscreen devices so much that I would never look at a mac computing device again.

kojackJKU

Yes I cannot wait for iOS 11 on my iPad. Interesting. Going to be even better with a clamshell keyboard attached

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I am the "Apple Guy" at a good-sized Enterprise facility (for my area). We have ~140 Apple computers of all shapes and sizes and ages on campus that I keep patched and running.

In my opinion, since Jobs passed, Apple has been slowly morphing towards Microsoft's ethos...and Microsoft is doing the same towards Apple. In fact, we now refer to Apple as "Applesoft" at work. Don't get me wrong, I still like OS X, but things have skewed so far from what I consider to be "it just works" that I finally changed to working on a Linux box and host virtual machines for both Apple and PC when I can't avoid working on either.

Apple hardware is extremely durable and dependable. Of those 140 Macs, I deal with 3 - 4 hardware issues per year and most are related to power brown-out/surge and or "I spilled my coffee on the keyboard" issues. The customers usually replace their computer every 5 to 7 years.

Downside to Apple hardware? Dongles. Put the darned ports in the computer. I spend way too much energy lending customers Ethernet adapters & VGA adapters...then trying to get them back a month later.

Our household is still "All Apple" with the exception of a few monstrous PC gaming machines. We replace our Apple hardware when it breaks or is too slow to function. Heck, I'm still using an iPhone 6 plus (original). Nothing wrong with it. The point is...if the latest iPhone/iPad/iMac is 8% faster, and has a few new more pixels on the screen and/or camera, does that justify another full-priced purchase? Not to me.

Each year I wait for Apple to release something awesome (like the 2012 Retina MacBook Pro was). Each year I end up waiting another year. They need some new ideas over there. And, they need to reintroduce a "real" Mac Pro again. There is some buzz about a new Mac Pro (redesign)....but we will see. The next one will probably be a triangle. :Wow1:

kojackJKU

That's what I see apple as too. the new status quo that MS was. All these new devices that Microsoft has been releasing, surface studio, surface book, Pro etc are awesome pieces of tech that I expected apple to release. I have no idea on apples aversion to touchscreen computing. It is the future. A lot of the faithful state I would never want that or I would never use that......Until apple releases it, which they will at some point. They have to, or they will be left further behind. At which point the "faithful" will tout it as the second coming of Christ. I love my 6s....if the new phone does not WOW me, I will continue on as it is fast, reliable, solid, and has a 3.5mm jack still.

OCD Overland

Explorer
I can see where you guys are coming from, but the problem with microsoft's new stuff is that it looks very enticing, but doesn't really work very well. The new surface pro was the first microsoft device that ever made me seriously want to go look at it. I draw for a living and use a cintiq, so it really should be right up my alley. But it was so flaky that I could never use it for work. There was a guy who was literally babysitting the computer, restarting the drawing program and resetting the controls so that it would stay up. And even just a few minutes of fiddling around with it started to get frustrating. I'd say the whole effort is beautiful, but barely more than a glorified demo. And I've had clients who pull out their surface tablets and suddenly it's like ten minutes of putting the meeting on hold to watch them go back and forth trying to make whatever they wanted to do work.

In contrast, there are a couple of contractors I work with who have iPad Pros and watching them mark up drawings or proposals, it seems seamless and really makes me want to pull the trigger on one. I think the new OS might be the thing that does it for me.

I was actually pretty down on apple before this keynote - their inability to focus and deliver, especially on the Mac front, has been a real pain over the past few years. Their biggest problem has been that the stongest personalities there lately have been Jony Ive and Eddie Cue, both of whom have gone full prima donna after Jobs died. And frankly, Tim Cook seems like he's on a perpetual good will tour, so I don't know who's been minding the store. But this looks like solid stuff, so maybe they're getting over the hump.

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
https://www.imore.com/ios-11

iMore has a decent description of some of the new features in iOS 11. I'm looking forward to trying the Files app.

Google Translate no longer needs an Internet connection to work. You need to download a ~200 MB dictionary for each language. I wonder if the "Siri, Translate xxx into Spanish" will need internet access.

kojackJKU

I can see where you guys are coming from, but the problem with microsoft's new stuff is that it looks very enticing, but doesn't really work very well. The new surface pro was the first microsoft device that ever made me seriously want to go look at it. I draw for a living and use a cintiq, so it really should be right up my alley. But it was so flaky that I could never use it for work. There was a guy who was literally babysitting the computer, restarting the drawing program and resetting the controls so that it would stay up. And even just a few minutes of fiddling around with it started to get frustrating. I'd say the whole effort is beautiful, but barely more than a glorified demo. And I've had clients who pull out their surface tablets and suddenly it's like ten minutes of putting the meeting on hold to watch them go back and forth trying to make whatever they wanted to do work.

In contrast, there are a couple of contractors I work with who have iPad Pros and watching them mark up drawings or proposals, it seems seamless and really makes me want to pull the trigger on one. I think the new OS might be the thing that does it for me.

I was actually pretty down on apple before this keynote - their inability to focus and deliver, especially on the Mac front, has been a real pain over the past few years. Their biggest problem has been that the stongest personalities there lately have been Jony Ive and Eddie Cue, both of whom have gone full prima donna after Jobs died. And frankly, Tim Cook seems like he's on a perpetual good will tour, so I don't know who's been minding the store. But this looks like solid stuff, so maybe they're getting over the hump.

I had the surface 3, I used it for all sorts of graphics...the reason I got rid of it was the fact that it never had enough storage space, and the fact that it never had the apps I wanted as a tablet device. It was rock solid for graphics, drawing etc. I think the one you tried, was a flakey demo unit. MS devices are ROCK SOLID!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I had the surface 3, I used it for all sorts of graphics...the reason I got rid of it was the fact that it never had enough storage space, and the fact that it never had the apps I wanted as a tablet device. It was rock solid for graphics, drawing etc. I think the one you tried, was a flakey demo unit. MS devices are ROCK SOLID!

KoJack, I agree, the Surface portables are pretty solid, though battery life has been a constant complaint, as well as screen resolution (fonts too small for my users). They still are nowhere near the machine an iPad Pro or MacBook Air are, with the exception of the desktop Surface Studio. When the Studio was first announced, with it's even better than Apple, Apple-style launch video, I was practically panting for one. As an Architect who does a majority of my design work in a sketch environment, I was foaming at the mouth with lust for a Surface Studio. It made my hands twitch with barely restrained desire to grab one and start drawing. I never have had such a strong or visceral reaction to a device like I did the Studio. I simply had to have one!

Fast forward a few months, and I've had the chance to draw on a Studio a few times, and I found the experience decidedly unintuitive, cumbersome, and difficult. I was extremely disappointed. The pen worked okay, but the puck did not, and while certain apps were okay, the underlying OS (win10) just didn't feel well optimized for that type of interface. The potential is there, but the reality falls short of the promise at the moment.

I'd love to rock a Surface Studio with iOS 11 on it :)

professional-gradepowerandperformance.ashx

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
The first reviews of the 10.5 inch iPad Pro hit the interwebs this morning. The reviews consistently note

1. $650 is a chunk of change for a tablet, especially since the $325 iPad (2017 edition) does a fine job of web browsing and media consumption.

2. On benchmarks, the new iPad Pro 10.5 hardware is remarkably faster than last year's iPad Pro 9.7.

3. The promise of the new hardware won't be fulfilled until iOS 11 is released in Fall.

Links to reviews that appeared today
https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/12/15779156/apple-new-ipad-pro-review-2017-10-5-tablet-ios
https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/12/apple-ipad-pro-10-5-review/
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/12/technology/ipad-pro-review-apple.html
https://www.wired.com/2017/06/review-apple-ipad-pro-10-5-inch/
http://mashable.com/2017/06/12/apple-ipad-pro-10-5-review/
https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/tablets/apple-ipad-pro-10-5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier